What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our predicted lineup R1

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL 2018: Tyson Frizell weighs in on hole in Dragons’ forward pack
Dragons
MjEyMjAxODV8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly9tZWRpYS5mb3hzcG9ydHMuY29tLmF1L2FydGljbGUvaGVhZHNob3RzL2pvaG5fZGVhbi5qcGd8MjEyMjAxODU=

MjEyMjAxODV8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvMThiOTk1ZjYyMGZlZDNmZmMwZjUwNmJkZTE4OGZmMGJ8MjEyMjAxODU=

St George Illawarra Dragons star forward Tyson Frizell.Source: News Corp Australia
WHILE much of the attention on St George Illawarra has surrounded their high profile recruits and the battle for fullback, there’s another contentious spot which needs to be filled.

As Ben Hunt and James Graham settle in to life at the Dragons, and Matt Dufty appears to have claimed the No.1 jersey, there’s a sizeable hole that’s been left in the forward pack following the departure of fan favourite Joel Thompson to Manly.

According to Australia and NSW star Tyson Frizell, it’s still very much a race in three to determine who will partner him in the back row come the Red V’s season opener against Brisbane.

“It is a bit up in the air at the moment for that spot,” Frizell told foxsports.com.au at Fox League’s season launch.

“Tariq’s played on both edges last year and he was playing good footy towards the back end.

“We’ve got guys like Luciano Leilua and Jacob Host there who have played first grade and have had great pre-seasons.

“I’m not too sure what Mary’s looking to do, but I’m happy for any of those boys to step into that role and fill Joel Thompson’s spot. He was such a massive part for us on that left edge.

“We need to find someone who can play long minutes there and do the amount of work that Joel used to do, and compliment Gareth (Widdop).”

MjEyMjAxODV8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvNzM0M2FjNGQ3MzkzN2ZmNTkwMzQwMmM1MjNmYTlhM2R8MjEyMjAxODU=

Tariq Sims of the Dragons in action.Source: AAP
Frizell sat out of last Saturday’s trial against Hull FC, which left Sims and Leilua to start.

While Sims churned out more impressive numbers — 89 metres from 11 runs, two tackle busts and a linebreak — versus Leilua’s 63 metres from eight runs, Frizell said the young gun was a genuine chance to snare the starting role.

“It’s been a massive pre-season for him,” Frizell said of Leilua.

“He missed out on playing (NRL) last year, but he’s changed things up this time around.

“He’s put in a lot of hard work to put himself in the best position to get a spot. He played a pretty good game on the weekend too.”

MjEyMjAxODV8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvOGU3YjIyNDExMmI2ZjM2NTBjZjlmYWQxOGJlN2MzMTJ8MjEyMjAxODU=

Luciano Leilua at Dragons training. Picture: Brett CostelloSource: News Corp Australia
Frizell will play his first game of the year in Saturday’s Charity Shield against South Sydney, with Sims, Leilua and Host all named in a strong 23-man squad.

The powerhouse forward assured fans his absence from last week’s game was nothing to be worried about following a gruelling 2017 campaign which ended with a World Cup victory.

“I just needed another week under my belt of some quality training,” he said.

“The body’s nice and fresh after a break after the World Cup.

“I’m mentally and physically fresh, and I’m looking forward to playing some footy again.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k=11d583b82133cdcbb575bf1f23f907b0-1519189519

nontime111

Juniors
whats everyones beef with Field? He was electric in the Hull game only for 10 minutes but has total superstar written all over him

kit66

Bench
whats everyones beef with Field? He was electric in the Hull game only for 10 minutes but has total superstar written all over him

If Mann claims the right centre position then Field should be our bench utility. I'd give him a run on the wing myself just to have him out there. Field and Dufty both out there would make us dangerous in attack even from inside our own 20

BennyV

Referee
I dont think anyone has a beef with him. He just doesnt fit anywhere in our team right now. Dufty has shown enough to warrant first crack at FB and considering how far he's come in the last year, I can't see him giving that up easily. And Widdop is locked into the 6 jumper for 4 years. THose are Field's positions. Shoehorning him into any other position where he'd be unfamiliar, unable to utilise his main assets and likely become a liability is just stupidity.

If he's happy to bide his time, wait for an opportunity and grab it then good for him, I hope he does. But save for injuries at this point, there's just no spot for him in our Top 17.

Old Timer

Coach
Field’s path to 1st grade will all be dependent on the form of the players above him and also his own.
He needs to be killing it in reggies on a continuous basis because he can’t just hope that someone else’s potential poor form is enough to get him selected.
If he plays really well in reggies opportunities will present themselves and then he has to grab it with both hands.
TBH if we think all these young blokes are 1st grade material we should be winning reggies games with ease and therefore they can’t be ignored if 1st grade is not winning games.

dragonssamy61

First Grade

He could be a great player.
But his defence is not good enough for a centre spot.
He comes from a touch football and sprinting background.
So he is learning to play football.
He is a fullback/ or number 6.
But he may well make a decent bench impact player.
Imo

getsmarty

Immortal
macdonaldn-try-17080411.jpg

NRL NEWS

Nene Macdonald adapts to switch back to left
Author
Chris Kennedy
Timestamp
Fri 23 Feb 2018, 06:00 AM

St George Illawarra winger Nene Macdonald is just as happy on the left wing as the right and is more than comfortable with an off-season side swap with opposite flanker Jason Nightingale.

Macdonald played almost exclusively on the right edge last season, where he scored all six of his tries. He played outside Euan Aitken (or Kurt Mann or Josh Dugan when Aitken was unavailable) with Tim Lafai and Jason Nightingale combining on the left.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor looks to have pulled a switch with Nightingale set to link with Aitken on the right in 2018 with Macdonald to get a run outside offload machine Lafai.

"I've been training on the left," said Macdonald, who registered a two-try performance on the left flank in a trial against Hull FC last Saturday night.

"Me and 'Gypsy' (Nightingale) swapped around a bit last year.

"I played all on the left when I was at the Titans and then at Roosters I played left and right so it doesn't really bother me where I play.

"If I play left that's exciting, it's a bit of a change for me and we'll see how I go."

Dragons 24 - 18 Hull FC

While new halfback Ben Hunt and a fully fit Aitken should hopefully ensure more attacking flair on the Dragons' right edge this year, Macdonald believes he can thrive outside attacking maestros Lafai and Gareth Widdop on the left.

"With Gaz on the left, he and Laf have formed a very good relationship between each other so it will be a good little combo. Me and Euey are very close as well so it will be exciting to see how we go," Macdonald added.

"That's what I'm hoping for [receiving more quality ball], they're two completely different centres, Euan's more of a runner, he's hard to contain and tackle and Lafs is very good at drawing in players and offloading and passing so they're two completely different centres so I'm pretty excited to see what happens this year."

Even getting back on the field against Hull was an achievement for Macdonald after an injury-disrupted pre-season following his World Cup campaign with Papua New Guinea.

"I haven't been running too much [due to a knee injury]," Macdonald said.

"I had a few niggles after the World Cup. In the England game (a 36-6 quarter-final loss) I hurt my knee which had given me a bit of trouble last year.

"I missed the first couple of weeks of training but the last couple of weeks I've been running out with the boys so it's been really enjoyable and got me a bit more hungry."

McGregor embraces Charity Shield

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/23/nene-macdonald-adapts-to-switch-back-to-left/

Dragon66

Juniors
I dont think anyone has a beef with him. He just doesnt fit anywhere in our team right now. Dufty has shown enough to warrant first crack at FB and considering how far he's come in the last year, I can't see him giving that up easily. And Widdop is locked into the 6 jumper for 4 years. THose are Field's positions. Shoehorning him into any other position where he'd be unfamiliar, unable to utilise his main assets and likely become a liability is just stupidity.

If he's happy to bide his time, wait for an opportunity and grab it then good for him, I hope he does. But save for injuries at this point, there's just no spot for him in our Top 17.

Benny's spot on with Field.

It has nothing to do with his potential talent, its about the pecking order of skill, experience and maturity.
He may look flash when he takes off with the football, which is great in touch but as we know NRL is not touch.
Field is a champion in the making but the Reggies is where he has to develop his skill, gain more experience without the pressure of NRL.
His time will come as he gains more experience, but he (and we) have to have a little patience.

One thing I'm excited about is that if Field is 5/8 in the ISP, then Nicholls will have a major influence on his development. Which is why he has been bought to the club.

since77

Juniors
Reading that MacDonald article, it hints that Aitken might still be in line for that centre spot. If true then FMD that clown of a coach is already showing he has no idea what our top 17 looks like

Eastview

Juniors
Field has the same issues as Dufty... both are currently woeful on the defensive side of things. If either of them can improve on this then they will have no trouble reaching their potentials.

Redhoopz

Juniors
Reading that MacDonald article, it hints that Aitken might still be in line for that centre spot. If true then FMD that clown of a coach is already showing he has no idea what our top 17 looks like

I'd say it's a lock in, providing that Aitken is over his injuries. I fully expect the back line to line up for round one to be:

Dufty, Mcdonald, Aitken, Lafai, Nighty

McGregor is too conservative to have anyone different. I'd say Mann will probably be the utility on the bench.

Field has the same issues as Dufty... both are currently woeful on the defensive side of things. If either of them can improve on this then they will have no trouble reaching their potentials.

That will come with time. Both Dufty and Field will continue to grow and get better, as would anyone coming out of the 20's comp. We've had the luxury of having Dugan's defence at the back over the last few years...it will take sometime to adjust.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
I'd say it's a lock in, providing that Aitken is over his injuries. I fully expect the back line to line up for round one to be:

Dufty, Mcdonald, Aitken, Lafai, Nighty

McGregor is too conservative to have anyone different. I'd say Mann will probably be the utility on the bench.
To some of us DUGAN was very good defence wize but attack wise had his shortcomings .......the young guns offer a lot more in attack .......defence they are the last line they will improve I'm sure ....

That will come with time. Both Dufty and Field will continue to grow and get better, as would anyone coming out of the 20's comp. We've had the luxury of having Dugan's defence at the back over the last few years...it will take sometime to adjust.
Dugan was very good in defence ,but had his shortcomings in attack .................he could never win you a game ,he might help you to not lose a game ......

Last edited:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Dugan was very good in defence ,but had his shortcomings in attack .................he could never win you a game ,he might help you to not lose a game ......

You'll find that Dugan won plenty of games from his own bat.

Short Memories as an Aussie band once sang.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
You'll find that Dugan won plenty of games from his own bat.

Short Memories as an Aussie band once sang.
2015 Mr Dugan 22 games played 7 tries
2016 .Mr Dugan 17 games played 2 tries
2017 Mr Dugan 17 games played 3 tries
Hardly top class figures JIMMY that's a total of 56 games 12 tries arrivaderci Josh or the last 2 years 34 games and a whole 5 tries that's a try every 7 games wow how did we let him go

Last edited:

SBD82

Coach
"I missed the first couple of weeks of training but the last couple of weeks I've been running out with the boys so it's been really enjoyable and got me a bit more hungry."

Judging by his size, Nene certainly looked as though he's been more hungry in the offseason.

possm

Coach

Judging by his size, Nene certainly looked as though he's been more hungry in the offseason.
Nene will be selected in reserve grade for round 1. Mann to left wing if Aitken gets the right centre job. Lomax to left wing if Mann gets the right centre job.

Latest posts