What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oust Doust

Self explanatory.

But for the intellectually challenged:

1. Price was retained at the end of last season after a comprehensive "performance review" (the art of distraction);
  2. Price is nevertheless dismissed mid season; Mary appointed in the interim only while the club seeks to recruit an experienced coach to turn club fortunes around;
  3. Bennett falls through and the interim coach is suddenly the best available option;
  4. Let's see how the interim coach performs with a full season under his belt for 2015;
  5. Repeat point 1 at the end of 2015;
  6. Repeat point 1 at the end of 2016.
And the above incompetence only relates to the hiring of a coach. Utter mismanagement, however, is evident across the entire organisation.

Enough is enough. The Boys Club needs to be dragged kicking and screaming into the modern era of professional sports.

Objective View

hazzbeen

Bench
Self explanatory.

1. Price was retained at the end of last season after a comprehensive "performance review" (the art of distraction);
  2. Price is nevertheless dismissed mid season; Mary appointed in the interim only while the club seeks to recruit an experienced coach to turn club fortunes around;
  3. Bennett falls through and the interim coach is suddenly the best available option;
  4. Let's see how the interim coach performs with a full season under his belt for 2015;
And the above incompetence only relates to the hiring of a coach. Utter mismanagement, however, is evident across the entire organisation.

Enough is enough. The Boys Club needs to be dragged kicking and screaming into the modern era of professional sports.

Objective View
With you on this...Can anyone tell me if there are other teams with a BOYS CLUB through out the coaching staff........?

Weipa Dragon

Juniors
Cowboys have a solid ex-players boys club happening there. Doust, I believe is onto the business structure that is happening in the NRL but it is always changing, always morphing into something else. Is he behind the times? Maybe, but it's a bigjob with players and coaches and sponsors and fans and having to appease all those facets and more. I believe it was simply Price's dark days that have wounded the Dragons but I really believe things will get better. I think being an NRL CEO would be a job for heart attack applications and with all the money that is flushed in and out of footy teams, it would be hard to stay alfoat. I mean Brisbane have News LTD backing them and have a whole city. The Sydney clubs only have a couple more million people but have to compete with most of the other NRL teams and two soccer teams, AFL etc. Sydney is bloody expensive to live or buy a house, many variables contributing to a struggling club. It sounds like we are down but definitely not out like Cronulla or the Titans who, well only their clubs know. I don't know, I really don't think one man, Peter Doust, is to blame, I think there are so many other variables in the today's cut throat world.

hardbaby

Coach
I think the board and Doust are 100% to blame. It's a union in there. Under the current structure out club will not be successful very often. Every now and then we will have a Bennett piece of luck but it will be exactly that...luck. Those guys have alienated an entire supporter base through a combination of incompetence and lack of accountability. It's almost guaranteed to fail.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I think the board and Doust are 100% to blame. It's a union in there. Under the current structure out club will not be successful very often. Every now and then we will have a Bennett piece of luck but it will be exactly that...luck. Those guys have alienated an entire supporter base through a combination of incompetence and lack of accountability. It's almost guaranteed to fail.

This

Capital_Dragon

Juniors
With you on this...Can anyone tell me if there are other teams with a BOYS CLUB through out the coaching staff........?

Canberra. But ironically enough through their parent entity their financial position is amazingly strong due to some very astute real estate and club investments.

Sadly though our Boys Club hasn't got the same financial sense and are firmly entrenched in the 80s club and pokies mentality.

bottle

Coach
Manly have a bit of a history with it, and with success.
Hasler/Cleal.
Now Toovey.
Don't know how deeply it runs through their assistants, junior coaches etc.
They also draft in the like of Johns to hone skills as well though.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Self explanatory.

Objective View

WTF!? The Doc and Jubileeboy led me to believe the club was on the right track and we have nothing to complain about?

Qdf

Juniors
Cowboys have a solid ex-players boys club happening there. Doust, I believe is onto the business structure that is happening in the NRL but it is always changing, always morphing into something else. Is he behind the times? Maybe, but it's a bigjob with players and coaches and sponsors and fans and having to appease all those facets and more. I believe it was simply Price's dark days that have wounded the Dragons but I really believe things will get better. I think being an NRL CEO would be a job for heart attack applications and with all the money that is flushed in and out of footy teams, it would be hard to stay alfoat. I mean Brisbane have News LTD backing them and have a whole city. The Sydney clubs only have a couple more million people but have to compete with most of the other NRL teams and two soccer teams, AFL etc. Sydney is bloody expensive to live or buy a house, many variables contributing to a struggling club. It sounds like we are down but definitely not out like Cronulla or the Titans who, well only their clubs know. I don't know, I really don't think one man, Peter Doust, is to blame, I think there are so many other variables in the today's cut throat world.
I think your right,
It's not one man(Doust), it's the imbecilic BOARD& the coaching staff, all & every person that has been employed by Doust...

The Doc

Juniors
WTF!? The Doc and Jubileeboy led me to believe the club was on the right track and we have nothing to complain about?
When did i say the club was on the right track and no one has anything to complain about?
Dont avoid it... back your claim. Show where i said that.

LINESPEED

Juniors
I flew down to the Dragons/ Penrith game with my son. I've been lucky because the last 2 home games I've seen they've smashed the Sharks & Panthers. I used to go to most games when I lived at Hurstville & played with Penshurst RSL & U-19's for Bexley Kingsgtove in 1969. The Dragons wanted me to trial in 3rd grade but I moved away.

Always loved the Club & used to listen with Dad to Frank Hyde calling the games that we didn't go to. His best friend died on the hill beside him from a heart attack after a try was scored .
I remember probably half of those 11 Grand Final wins.
Such a great Club - so respected and never the butt of jokes.
How we have come to this I don't know.
I joined the forum a couple of days ago to try to help in some minor way - just the lone voice of a fan.
Peter was in the year below me at Sydney Technical High School at Bexley, and seemed a regular kind of guy and I wished him well from the country when he became CEO.
Anyway my son & I walked down to the tunnel near full time to see the players coming off. I looked halfway up the tunnel and there was Peter standing 4 metres away, out of sight of the crowd, impeccably dressed and staring across the field to the Hill. A spectator beside me said politely to him,' When are you signing Dugan?' Peter ignored him, his expression fixed on the Hill, no doubt relieved that the ' Oust Doust' was absent for now. He looked stressed & in another place - I thought mate you're heart attack material - how much vilification can one man take before body & mind say enough?

I felt sorry for this old school mate. He seemed a lonely figure afraid to walk onto the field perhaps.
Sad, haunted & hunted.

There's a better life out there.

You've been no Frank Facer, but that's not your fault. But hey you do have a premiership, and not many CEO's chalk them up in their time at the top.

Peter, renewal is needed NOW - it's essential to growth, change & future success. You've had a long run at the top. Change at the Club is being called for across the fan base, media and everywhere. CEO's in business just don't stay 20 yrs ... ANYWHERE. anymore.
Do you still have the Club's welfare at heart?

Consider your health & your family, the players and the Club. Leave like a gentleman, on your terms, with some dignity, as you announce your timeframe for transition, remembering the school motto "Manners Maketh Man".

Good Luck from an Old Boy.
Self explanatory.

Objective View
Peter

Last edited:

Latest posts