What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oz Schoolboys beaten for the first time on home soil.

drake

First Grade
Watch out, the Roosters are gonna start coming after Pommie Schoolboys for their Flegg side.

No such thing as a good win for England. ;-)

groggo

Juniors
lol :whistle that was bad talking about searching for a reason to exist

just wait till those school boys get into the pork pies n mushy peas different result :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

carlnz

Bench
Well done England - Who said U18 was a waste of time!! they will go back as heros - an so they should!!!!!

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
clives_bootlace said:
do they only play one game??

We might as well quit while we're ahead :lol:

Seriously though this result is another big positive for the future of international rugby. First the first time the Super League clubs are starting to back young British players rather than go elsewhere. Teams like Leeds, Wigan and Hull have pioneered the selection of young players and it is filtering through to the rest of the sides.

There is nothing wrong with having superb players like Lyon and Lauitiiti playing over here as they will improve our young players, but the days are now surely numbered for the 30+ year olds coming over for a pension.

screeny

Bench
I wonder how much of England's success can be apportioned to David Waite and how much to Sport England funding? Sure, both these huge factors have played a part in England's unprecedented success v Aussie youth over the past couple of years, but I suppose all the funding in the world ain't much kop unless you've a smart cookie in place to make best use of it - see Chelsea and Abramovich/Ranieri.

I for one was scathing of Waite's appointment but it seems that the RFL picked the perfect man. He is terrible as a match day coach (too many errors of selection/tactics to name in this thread withoiut going off topic!) but as an overseer of structures and coaching pathways he is second to none.

The French, hopefully, will benefit from his leaedership from 2005 onwards in much the same way as GB is benefitting now.

JasonE

Bench
Just watched the game again on DVD, the thing that was impressive was the speed of the game, it was very high standard.

Yossarian

Juniors
Great result for England and a great result for international League - alongside the two close games against NZ the standard is obviously pretty equal across these three nations

The fact that this result came on Australian soil cannot be overestimated - British RL has suffered more recently through lack of belief than lack of skill, fitness etc some British players look at a Green and Gold jersey and expect to get beat. This new generation don't and that is positive indeed

JasonE, is the DVD you have a personal copy or retail as I would love to get my hands ona copy of the match over here in the UK?

I saw the two schoolboy vs Academy tests in the UK two years ago and the two games our under 17's played against the AIS and I agree, the speed of the games are very impressive but without losing the physical intensity

JasonE

Bench
Yossarian said:
Great result for England and a great result for international League - alongside the two close games against NZ the standard is obviously pretty equal across these three nations

The fact that this result came on Australian soil cannot be overestimated - British RL has suffered more recently through lack of belief than lack of skill, fitness etc some British players look at a Green and Gold jersey and expect to get beat. This new generation don't and that is positive indeed

JasonE, is the DVD you have a personal copy or retail as I would love to get my hands ona copy of the match over here in the UK?

I saw the two schoolboy vs Academy tests in the UK two years ago and the two games our under 17's played against the AIS and I agree, the speed of the games are very impressive but without losing the physical intensity

I bought it from Sports Recording Services, they are on the net and i'll get you there email address if you like as well, i'll post it tomorrow

Yossarian

Juniors
JasonE said:
Yossarian said:

I bought it from Sports Recording Services, they are on the net and i'll get you there email address if you like as well, i'll post it tomorrow

Many thanks, I will check tomorrow

Humphrey

Juniors
JasonE said:
Just watched the game again on DVD, the thing that was impressive was the speed of the game, it was very high standard.

Have to agree. They beat our Junior Kiwis in the first game and we just held them out in the second so it was a drawn series.

For my money the most outstanding feature of their game was their fealess ability to tackle!!!

A GREAT team to watch develop over the next couple of years

The Partisan

I thought the Kiwi's beat us in a Test match in Brisbane (Redcliffe ??) a number of years ago . I'm talking 7+ years ago. Will have to check.