What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oz Tag or Touch Football? Which is more fun?

The Observer

Staff member
I've played a bit of touch football and it can be fun, but how does it compare to ozTag? I haven't played OzTag but it sounds like the tag element would make the game a little more open and require more skill to tag than touch the ball carrier. The fact that you can kick in general play sounds good too, as does the elimination of phantom calls that plague touch.

Does the running at spaces not faces rule affect gameplay? Any comments appreciated.

bucko

Juniors
Touch is easier to make line breaks I reckon, because in oz tag, if they can't reach you, they can still grab your tag. It is pretty hard to grab tags at times lol. I'm actually starting in a comp tomorrow night, can't wait 8)

Which is the more popular of the 2? Is there a touch and/or tag version of union, and is there much difference between touch league and touch union?

In NA we have 2 similar versions of "gridiron", touch football and flag football. The main diff is that it's easier to touch someone than grab their flag, but there are some other differences to do with rushing the quarterback. Both games have more forward passing plays than running plays. Sorry to interrupt.

Nuffs

Bench
oztag is HEAPS better

it is more open and alot more fun

touch can get quite boring with so many low scoring games

bucko

Juniors
Geez I'm looking forward to playing tonight. The best thing is you can kick the ball!

The General

Juniors
bucko said:
Geez I'm looking forward to playing tonight. The best thing is you can kick the ball!

That's true, but you can only kick on the 4th and 5th or on the 1st. Kicks also have to be below shoulder height.

I've played OzTag and Touch, and I find OzTag a lot better. It's probably because I'm pretty unfit and Touch is a very tiring game. Touch is all about quick dumps and catching people off side. OzTag is more open and involves more line running and overlap plays.

cheese

Bench
Theres touch, and then there's touch!!

Once you start to play it at a bit of a higher level, the game cranks. It's super fast, and super slick, and it requires plenty of skill.

I only used to play oztag for a bit of fun ..........Touch is the better, slicker game IMO. I was playing it 4 nights a week not long ago. Im a junkie :D

bucko

Juniors
I've been working on kicking the ball extremely flat but for a long distance, so it'll stay below shoulder height. Is it ok if off a grubber it bounces higher then a shoulder?

bucko

Juniors
Well, we won 8-5 tonight, and somehow i found myself on the receiving end of a bit of biff :? I kinda ran over this bloke to try and score a try lol.

bucko

Juniors
Rightio, well we made a break down the left hand touchline, and my team mate tried drawing the full back, so gave it back to me, and the full back came back around to tag me, and i tried stepping inside him. Well i kinda slipped, and hit him about a metre out, so i went into rugby league mode, and as we fell over the line, i started coppin a few right hands in the teeth. All i could think of tho was getting the ball down, so i eventually did that, and then the rest of the team got him off me. I came up swearing pretty heavily at him, and he threw it back at me, but the ref gave him a 10 minute spell in the bin, and i got a penalty against me and the try was disallowed :(

John_Travolta

Juniors
Thats the one i`m talking about hahahahaha, good stuff :lol: You really should made an effort to go give him one or TEN THO man :lol:

Troy

alive103

Juniors
I play Oztag and our side has found itself in some pretty heated matches.

Normally meatheads who don't know the rules. Had a bloke drop his knees into my back in a major semi after I dived on a loose ball.

The best things about Oztag are kicking being allowed and no drop ball rules like in touch. You can play a bit of structure too and play different game plans which is why I enjoy it more than touch.

bazza

Immortal
Oztag is more similar to league - where touch is it's own sort of game with the quick dumps

Well i play both touch and oztag at the moment. And i think oztag is alot more exciting. Its more challenging, coz i think its pretty hard to grab the tags. Plus im only 16 and my team plays mixed opens so its pretty good.

The only thing is, my team is alot fitter bcoz we r all 15 and 16 so the older ppl find it alot harder to catch us and they get pretty frusturated, so in 90% of our games u hav these 25 yr old ppl arguing with 16 yr olds. Its pretty funny. But yeh i find oztag alot better.

Paranoid

Juniors
Played both and OzTag is far superior IMO. Its "fun" factor is higher and has far more demisions in terms of gameplay and skill too.

Latest posts