What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pacific Island Team

myrrh ken

First Grade
Hi everyone, MK here.

What's your thoughts on a united Pacific Island Team as a way of boosting International League for the region in the short term? Let's face it Fiji, PNG, Samoa and Tonga are Tier 2 countries and will be for a long time. A combined team would be bloody strong and competitive with the Tier 1 countries.

Most likely it would be a team that's formed specifically for regular tours (like the British Lions in rugby), continue to have separate nations in the world cup. It would give eligible players an option to aspire towards rather than representing Tier 1 countries. I think it would also improve the home nations by increased exposure to competitive games.

Obviously there are some difficulties:
- Who's going to fund the bloody thing? Someone has to provide enough $ to entice the players. But if the games are televised they would be popular and generate some cash.
- Where will they play, train?
- How do we stop them hating each other? I admit I'm ignorant on the extent of the hate and how to get around that..

This idea sort of worked in rugby for a while, they were certainly compeititve, until funding became an issue.

adamkungl

Immortal
To be less blunt:

International sport is only interesting because of the pride people (should) have in representing their country or heritage (except for the dogshit Aussies who whore themselves out to England or NZ under the dumb grandparent rule for an easy rep jumper).

Not international, but it's why the Indigenous team cares and the All Stars team and fans dont give a f**k.

PNG is nowhere near and has no common ground with the Islands.
The Islands best games are against each other, their most powerful feature their pride in representing against their rivals and the big guns of the sport.

If anyone suggested a combined Ireland-France-Spain-Italy team you'd hopefully call them a f**king idiot. And the countries involved would say no thanks we can compete on our own.
The Pacific Islands United team is just a convenient way of putting black people in the one team so we have someone else to play footy against occasionally.

99.9% chance none of the Islands will ever win a top level tournament. And that's ok. They're a tiny country compared to even other minnows of the game. I can't speak for them but I'd guess that punching above their weight in their own colours is worth more to them than joining up and still losing a game they don't really care about.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Works for the Windies, British Lions and the 700 different Aboriginal nations in the Indigenous team.

Anyway, as I said we are not doing away with the national games. Just a chance to make a touring side to compete regularly against Tier 1 teams which, outside of world cup pool games, currently is zero.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Well they all participate in the Pacific Rugby International or its precursors. So how hard would it be to pick a best XIII team from the tournament and have them play Australia.

Anyway its just a thought of something different to incentivise people to pick their heritage nations.

Ah well back to the drubbings, and the occassional near- win or upset.

jim_57

Staff member
Those articles are from 5-6 years ago.. but I actually wouldn't mind the idea of a Polynesian all star side playing the Aboriginal all stars instead of the BS World Allstars.

thorson1987

Coach
Those articles are from 5-6 years ago.. but I actually wouldn't mind the idea of a Polynesian all star side playing the Aboriginal all stars instead of the BS World Allstars.

All Stars yes.

But no way in hell should it be used as a full international side.