What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pacific Nations vs Top 4 Nrl teams - yeah or nah?

myrrh ken

First Grade
Alright is another couple of suggestions. I'm putting them up here despite the anti-brigade from the previous thread because I think its important to bump these nations up to the next level and to stop the player drain to Tier 1 nations. Otherwise they will be destined to sit at the kids table. The idea is to increase their exposure to elite level games and wil have the advantage of the NRL actually chipping part of the coin.

1. Have PNG, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga tour Australia and each play the 4 NRL semi-finalists. This can be either as part of pre-season games or at the end of the season to replace the embarrassing world club challenge round robin. This should appeal to all fans, particular those club's fans and nation's fans. ie bums on seats and should be financially viable.

2. Have one of the teams play the indigeneous all stars. No one cares about the world all stars.

Cue "diminishing the international game" outrage. I get that argument, but lets face it, the international coimpetition needs help.

hutch

First Grade
International competition will be helped by having test nations play in legitimate tournaments and test series every year with full strength teams and shown on the networks around the world.

Burns

First Grade
You come off incredibly defensive to what are not the greatest ideas. Like your other thread, no I disagree. The Pacific is much greater served having nations play other nations in Tests.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Just putting some ideas out there to boost the game and trying to generate some constructive debate fellas. I reckon interest in the international game is lower than what it should be and needs a kick up the pants.

International competition will be helped by having test nations play in legitimate tournaments and test series every year with full strength teams and shown on the networks around the world.
- Yes, this is the ultimate goal. How do you get there?

You come off incredibly defensive
- f**k off mate! Nah, just ready for the merkins that aren't constructive.

hutch

First Grade
You get there by playing tests, tournaments every year with international test teams. Let's not over complicate things. Test teams over a period will build a culture and develop their own story, build a reputation in their country which should attract sponsors and encourage juniors to take up the sport.
Why our sport needs in consistency and an international plan for the future. Not games v NRL teams.

siv

First Grade
We need to address commentators like Paul Kent downgrading the international RL game or in fact and game that is not a Top 4 clash

myrrh ken

First Grade
Let's face it - they are not going to get more than one are year. Why wouldn't you want them to have an extra hit out against a top side in preparation for the World Cup. It's only going to help them.

Kangaroos and lions used to play club sides on tours as tune up for international games so it's not uncommon to have international v club

adamkungl

Immortal
Let's face it - they are not going to get more than one are year. Why wouldn't you want them to have an extra hit out against a top side in preparation for the World Cup. It's only going to help them.

Kangaroos and lions used to play club sides on tours as tune up for international games so it's not uncommon to have international v club

Because your idea is an All Stars vs Club, so really it has nothing to do with international footy whatsoever

adamkungl

Immortal
Ah sorry, based on the title I thought we were still talking about a combined Pacific Islands, my bad.

I have no issue with things like this as warm up matches. But the key point is that all nations need more matches, full stop. They can't play warm up matches to non-existent tests/tournaments.

deal.with.it

Juniors
It's already hard enough to find time to play test matches. Any availability should be used to play full test matches - so nations can try and improve their ranking.

Latest posts