What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pakistan in NZ - Pyjama tour 2017/18

vvvrulz

Coach
The Grand Man adds so much more to this lower order, with him and Munro we have two guys who won’t mince around in any situation and that was the difference today.

Hopefully he doesn’t into another Anderson or Neesh

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Munro 19(12) - mainly smashing it through the off side along the ground.

Guppie just got off the mark with another straight sightscreen smasher.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Manu is flashing harder now - 27(15) but its very off side. They're bowling outside off to him. He just played a great straight drive for 1.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
One day someone will put a boundary man in front of the sightscreen for Guptil - he regularly hits straighter more oft than long on or long off.

JJ

Immortal
Yeah, shame for Munro and us - liking what he's doing, but needs to go on more - he's better than a quick 40

Meth

Staff member
Yeah, shame for Munro and us - liking what he's doing, but needs to go on more - he's better than a quick 40

Yeah, I always felt the same with McCullum. That when he got to 40 odd at a good rate, he needed to have his partner wander down the pitch and tell him, 'right, reign it in now mate. Stick around and punish the bad ball'.

But I suppose it's counter intuitive

ANTiLAG

First Grade

I think its about Macca and Hess getting through to him what his high % shots are. There's been no switch hits of late which I like - I think its time he put away the lofted straight drive as well - leave that shot to Guppie and CDG. He doesn't need it, misscues it too often, plus - he plays fine along the ground. I have no issue with Munro hitting over square leg (on small NZ grounds anyway) and cow (anywhere, even at MCG).

I would like his off side flashes to be hit down more oft, but he may not be capable of this and keep his sr high. Cos then I'm just wanting him to bat like Lara at a Munro sr.

Meth

Staff member
geez, it's hard to be Guptill's batting partner today. That's the second time he's hit the non-striker,

JJ

Immortal
Yeah, I always felt the same with McCullum. That when he got to 40 odd at a good rate, he needed to have his partner wander down the pitch and tell him, 'right, reign it in now mate. Stick around and punish the bad ball'.

But I suppose it's counter intuitive
That's where Astle was so good - although in that day not as explosive, but he made use of the power plays then settled and worked the ball around more

I just feel that Munro has more potential for the big scores than Baz - who's blitzkreig starts were even faster at times, to the point of just being insane

Meth

Staff member
300 has to be on from here. Pakistan have bowled tight for a period, but just haven't taken wickets. Guptill and Taylor looking settled at the crease.

Would like to see CDG pushed up to 5 today

ANTiLAG

First Grade
That's where Astle was so good - although in that day not as explosive, but he made use of the power plays then settled and worked the ball around more

I just feel that Munro has more potential for the big scores than Baz - who's blitzkreig starts were even faster at times, to the point of just being insane

Munro is still learning his game. He's talented - we all know this. But we also know intl 3rd seamers and basin reserve boundaries are better and bigger than what he was dealing with at Eden Park Outer Oval or at Pukekura Park. He needs to find his range on all his shots and know which ones are higher %.

I think he'll get there and learn. We still want him to be faster than Gup, but not settle a too cheap price on his wicket neither.

I'm fairly pleased how he has handled Amir and Ali this series. They havn't bothered him for pace or bounce at all.