What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers performances in Tri-Nations thread

Big Mick

Referee
Gower played really well.

I taped it and just watched it a few hours ago.

he set up two tries.

If u read the stats, had a better game than Lockyer who was Man of the Match.

choc_soldier

Coach
Slept on the couch purposely at a plush holiday unit in Ulladulla so I could get up at 5 this morning to watch the match.

Whilst I don't think it reached the same heights as the Auckland match, the Australians put in a much more polished performance.

Rooney, apart from scoring that try, I think was quiet. Gower is becoming very accustomed to the halfback role... it's his as long as his form holds up (and also the return of one A. Johns). Whatuira just plugged away - didn't notice him that much.

SP

Bench
i dont know why people continue to say Gower played shit

if they think he's crap, what does that make Kimmorely then??

*Sandy*

First Grade
I only watched the last 20 mins of the 1st half. I don't think Gowie was a standout but i don't think he did too much wrong. Gave off a couple of silly penalties.

2nd half - Gowie was much better. I actually thought he played better without lockyer on field. He seemed to step up and take hold of the game where when he's alongside Locky he seems to shadow him a bit but that's my opinion. Gowie lost sight when he broke the line and offloaded to Roons but I think he should have given it to Mason and it would have been a certain try for sure. Apart from a couple of silly mistakes and the weather being atrocious I thought he played well.

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
How do you think Gower will go playing outside of Kimmorley? I'm not expecting him to get involved that much which is a shame i'm spewing he has got moved to 5/8.

If Lockyer returns soon, Gower could well be out of the team.

Come on Gowie, play out of your skin for us tomorrow morning!

*Sandy*

First Grade
And now the calls ... Gowie's not a 5/8th!

Come on people make up your minds. He's not a hooker. Hooker Dally M 2000. He's not a Half. Half (should have been Dally M :roll: ) 2003. He's not a 5/8th - Could he become 5/8th Dally M 2005? :D

choc_soldier

Coach
Gower - he truly is an ironman. Looked gone around half time, but played on! :clap:

Rooney - he has truly arrived. One thinks that spot is his for as long as he wants it. When (not if) Lewis finally gets his chance, another Gidley / Tahu combo could be in the works... but just not as sh*t... :lol: ;-)

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
Good stuff Roons scoring the match winner. I'm spewing the last 2 weeks in a row i have missed the games. I stayed up last week till about 4.10am and this morning till about 4.40am and fell asleep i'm so pissed off looked like a sick game aswell!

Everyone is saying Gower should be dropped in the NRL section no-one has said Gower played good last night. I can't wait to get the tape!

Also they said Kimmorley played alot better.
Whens Lockyer due back? :(

Caged Panther

First Grade
Gower would have played alot better if Kimmorely actually passed the ball to him.

As for the potentialy international Rooney/Lewis combination it does pose the question as to whether Lewis should be switched to Rooney's side for club matches or Rooney to Lewis's side.

*Sandy*

First Grade
Lewis switching to Rooneys side. I think they go well together.

I didnt think Gowie had an outstanding game and made a couple of mistakes like his kick out on full and not throwing out some quality ball - there seems to be a lot of lost communication. Maybe Gowie is not a talker and expects everyone to read his plays?

What about Hindy - I think he's worked out that he looks good in Green and Gold. :D To me he seemed like he did a fair bit of work out there.

Kimmorley is a hog and like Mick I thought his performance was dismal. Can't kick for shit. Can't defend for shit. I just don't like him - and for the life of me I cannot think of a combination with another 5/8th that suits him.

I would use Gowie at 7 and Wing at 6. Wing is a little like Presto and that cominbination suits Gowie. They pop up out of no-where and inject speed and some brilliance of bluffing the opposition when needed.

black magic

Juniors
Gower ready for break

1 November 2004

Australia's Tri Nations rugby league siesta comes at the perfect time for five-eighth Craig Gower.

The Penrith captain has an assortment of ailments, most notably a dose of the flu and an ongoing case of osteo pubis - a nagging groin problem that requires rest.

"It's just a progressive thing for me," Gower said after playing a leading hand in Australia's last-gasp 12-8 win over Great Britain.

"I just have to see how it goes. We have had three tough games, we have had a long season and it will be good to get away, recharge ourselves and then put our heads back on footy next week.

"It's (Tri Nations) a great concept, it's just hard after a long season. It sort of feels like we haven't had a break."

There's a reason for that - he hasn't.

The inspirational Panthers half, like most of his Kangaroos teammates, has been going non-stop since the pre-season.

And there's another four weeks to go.

Bearing that in mind, coach Wayne Bennett has taken advantage of a break in the Kangaroos' schedule to give the players some time off.

Most are heading to Prague for some well-deserved R-and-R.

They'll leave for the Czech capital safe in the knowledge that a place in the Tri Nations final is already in their keeping thanks to Luke Rooney's 80th minute try at City of Manchester Stadium.

"I thought it was a bit scrappy on our part but at the end of the day we got away with it," Gower said.

"Thinking back on it there was a couple of things we could have done better than we did, our execution.

"There's no doubt they're improving, they have better players, they're hanging in there better, defensively they're a lot stronger.

"They're going to improve on it. We didn't play our best footy but we won and that's all we need to do."

Australia has next weekend off before playing a return match against Great Britain at JJB Stadium in Wigan in two weeks.

The Kangaroos then meet France in Toulouse the week before the Tri Nations final.

Captain Darren Lockyer expects to make his return from a rib injury in that game.

"Now that we won we're guaranteed a place in the final," Lockyer said.

"Although the next match against Great Britain is a Test match, I feel I'm better off aiming for France now - maybe play half a game there and make sure the rib gets through the game."

The final will be held at Elland Road in Leeds and most of the Kangaroos players expect to face Great Britain in the decider.

Their opponent will hinge on the outcome of the two clashes between the Lions and New Zealand.

"I think Great Britain will be there, especially playing at home," forward Petero Civoniceva said.

"I think they would have got a lot out of last night although it would have been disappointing to lose like that. Obviously they can see that they're pretty close to the mark."

Didnt know where to post this!!! Very interesting!

mightypanther

Juniors
I didnt think Gowie had an outstanding game and made a couple of mistakes like his kick out on full and not throwing out
some quality ball - there seems to be a lot of lost communication. Maybe Gowie is not a talker and expects everyone to read his plays?

THIS MAY HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT PK.............

Bennett to give players welcome rest
| 7sport.com.au ... 01 November 2004 04:11pm |

[link]http://www3.7sport.com.au/news.php?id=132112[/link]

FULL STORY ON 7SPORT.COM.AU

Australia now has a free week - New Zealand and Great Britain meet in Huddersfield this weekend with the winner
odds-on to play the Kangaroos in the final - and Bennett has given his players some time off to recharge their batteries.

Nearly half the squad has been struck down by a viral infection, with a bedridden Scott Hill forced
to withdraw from Saturday night's Test.

"It's pretty hard because we're around each other for so long, we're training hard and one guy gets
sick it doesn't take long for it to filter down through the team," forward Petero Civoniceva said.

"There was a lot of brave guys out there last night. I think there was some guys, had they been playing back at home they probably wouldn't have played.

"There was a lot of coughing going on out in the middle.

"To their credit the guys hung on. I think Craig Gower was pretty sick
and Andrew Ryan had been really sick
a couple of days before, as had Nathan Hindmarsh.

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
Yeah most have been struck down with the flu and as we know Gower is a battler and will continue to play. He also has a groin injury which he continues to play with and numerous other injuries.

mightypanther

Juniors

Those ignorant bastards on the International forum can stick that up 'em.

And I'm still pissed right off that they were all going on after the second NZ
game about what a lousy kicker Gower was and he should be dumped because
he couldn't even get a lousy field goal from right in front.

Well......excuse me........did noit Lockyer also miss a field goal attempt in that
game ???

And who missed 2 field goal attempts against GB from right in front ???
Hmmmm..............let me think.........ahhhh..........Gimme-a-bloody-headache........
that's who.

*Sandy*

First Grade
Oh what a trooper! No wonder he came off early and he would have played down his flu as well and pretended there was nothing wrong. Fair dinkum the guy could be laying on his death bed and would still get up and trot out onto the park to play. :clap:

From day 1 of seeing Gowie play my admiration for him is STILL growing.

SP

Bench
Krapmorley is bloody crap anyway

people say they rather him over Gower anyday

id rather Michael Witt to play in the Australia #7 over krapmorley any day

Latest posts