What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers sack Griffin 4 weeks from finals

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
I do find it amusing that SOME Tigers fans are now voicing outrage at the possibility of a contract not being honoured. It’s a given that the circumstances are not exactly the same, but Jason Taylor, Mick Potter & Robbie Farah all want to say hi.
While that's all true, my main irritation is that we'd finally got to a point where all this shit was behind us only to go straight back to square one.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Mind you Vic, I've now read a bit of the Gus podcast and bugger me he's the biggest bullshit artist about.

Apparently he wouldn't usually end a coach's tenure without a plan in place, but this time he has? Yeah, OK. Had one in place when he fired Ivan and he'll have one now, too.

And of course Gus has spent all this year trying to reassure Griffin that he was being supported and he was the man they wanted to continue....apparently. And the executive would've punted Griffin months ago, but good ol' Gus backed his man. Never baled him up in a tunnel in a pre-season match, never took over training, leaked rumours, nothing.

Then David O'Neill and Ivan met about the sale of Ivan's house. Because Ivan doesn't have a conveyancing lawyer and has never bought or sold a house before. Then Dave drops this crazy, yet subtle, bomb about 'hey Ivan, seeing you're here maybe...um....hey just say no though, maybe you might think about taking over as coach? Oh your son plays here and you'd think about it? YOU WANT TO COACH HIM ONE DAY!? Sorry, got excited. Had no idea. Let's talk further soon. Good luck with the sale, we never actually got round to talking about it, did we?'

Oh yeah and then he backs over the 'Ivan was tired' thing, a year after getting them a bee's dick from a GF having copped one of the worst injury tolls since the Japs in WW2. As I also said in the Warriors forum, he may as well start saying 'you're fired!' and wear a 'Make Penrith Great Again' hat, such is Gus now pretty much a like-for-like as mentally unstable, bullshitting version of Trump.

Xcalibre

Juniors
I think this is an interesting one, and probably not much the nrl can do, but if Ivan moves, Penrith can essentially pay Nathan f**k all and save a shit load of salary cap space, while they pay Ivan a shit load. Dad then just gifts Nathan his portion of dads salary. Its not like father and son need a contract, just a nod and a wink that I'll give you a mill a season while we're together.

Excellent point! "Here's 100k pocket money for being a good Son..."

Everyone has forgotten about poor old Tim Grant. Ivan pissed him off from the Panthers. Spent a few years in the wilderness until he was starting for the Tigers. Then Ivan ends up at the Tigers and it’s back to Reggie’s for Tim. Signs with the panthers for a chance at redemption again next year and guess what...

Vic Mackey

Referee
Mind you Vic, I've now read a bit of the Gus podcast and bugger me he's the biggest bullshit artist about.

Apparently he wouldn't usually end a coach's tenure without a plan in place, but this time he has? Yeah, OK. Had one in place when he fired Ivan and he'll have one now, too.

And of course Gus has spent all this year trying to reassure Griffin that he was being supported and he was the man they wanted to continue....apparently. And the executive would've punted Griffin months ago, but good ol' Gus backed his man. Never baled him up in a tunnel in a pre-season match, never took over training, leaked rumours, nothing.

Then David O'Neill and Ivan met about the sale of Ivan's house. Because Ivan doesn't have a conveyancing lawyer and has never bought or sold a house before. Then Dave drops this crazy, yet subtle, bomb about 'hey Ivan, seeing you're here maybe...um....hey just say no though, maybe you might think about taking over as coach? Oh your son plays here and you'd think about it? YOU WANT TO COACH HIM ONE DAY!? Sorry, got excited. Had no idea. Let's talk further soon. Good luck with the sale, we never actually got round to talking about it, did we?'

Oh yeah and then he backs over the 'Ivan was tired' thing, a year after getting them a bee's dick from a GF having copped one of the worst injury tolls since the Japs in WW2. As I also said in the Warriors forum, he may as well start saying 'you're fired!' and wear a 'Make Penrith Great Again' hat, such is Gus now pretty much a like-for-like as mentally unstable, bullshitting version of Trump.

Exactly mate. It’s laughable some people are eating it up.

Any South Park fans remember when Cartman was explaining to his Mum how he ‘accidently’ took a photo of Butters dick in his mouth? It reminded me of that

@2 weeks will feel me

Xcalibre

Juniors
just say cleary goes to panthers and loses the first 10 games . Is Gould capable of sacking him without upsetting Nathan? What then? Let both go and another coach payed out?, Ha , fecking Gould

Gus will sack Ivan and portray it like he was looking out for him and not the reality, which is he's a cold and calculating megalomaniac.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Exactly mate. It’s laughable some people are eating it up.

Any South Park fans remember when Cartman was explaining to his Mum how he ‘accidently’ took a photo of Butters dick in his mouth? It reminded me of that

@2 weeks will feel me

If I was a Panthers fan, I'd be digging my 2003 Premiership DVD out because that's as close as you're getting right now with Gould in charge (yes my Warriors haven't won one and aren't close, so anyone save yourself before hitting me with that zinger). He's got to that bat shit crazy age where he's making irrational, completely nutjob decisions and doesn't give a shit what anyone thinks. He'll probably end up firing both Clearys within 18 months. Wouldn't put it past a guy who just hired, re-signed then pretty quickly fired the same bloke and is actively seeking to replace him with the guy he hired and sacked two years previously.

Saxon

Bench
The way I see it people just want to turn Gus into the villain because it's easy to do. Tigers fans don't want to face the fact that maybe Ivan wants to do what he thinks is best for his son more than anything else.

I don't think one is any less villain than the other. I mean, who's worse? Your workmate who screws your wife, or your wife for screwing your workmate?

At the end of the day it's the poor old Tigpies fans who are getting f*cked.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
So what happens if Pascoe and the Tigers board say 'no f**k ya, Ivan you're staying with us like you said the players should under a contract'? I know officially how that looks but how could it play out?

OldPanther

Coach
I find it a bit weird the timing of Hannant and Soward and co laying into Griffin now that he is fired. If they genuinely thought he was such a rubbish coach and had rubbish gameplans and was holding Penrith back, why not say it while he was still in the job and still coaching and still getting wins?

Soward did

Cause the reality is that Griffin wasn’t that bad of a coach and the whole notion that he held back players, stalled careers and is 1/16th the coach Ivan Cleary is nonsense IMO.

Liar. You would have seen the articles in the Panthers forum. Full of shit because you don't like Cleary.

OldPanther

Coach
I don't think one is any less villain than the other. I mean, who's worse? Your workmate who screws your wife, or your wife for screwing your workmate?

At the end of the day it's the poor old Tigpies fans who are getting f*cked.

The Tigers fans are definitely the innocent victims here. I feel for them.

So what happens if Pascoe and the Tigers board say 'no f**k ya, Ivan you're staying with us like you said the players should under a contract'? I know officially how that looks but how could it play out?

From a legal perspective, Cleary could say "fine I won't coach the Tigers then" and the Tigers could not force him to. All they could do is, for not doing his contractually obligated duties, is not pay him. They could not legally force him to coach. However, if his contract is still valid, even if he boycott's doing his Tigers job, the Tigers could seek an injunction preventing him from taking up a coaching job at another club.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Cleary is just as much to blame as anyone at Penrith. I hope Pascoe grilled him about why he met with them in the first place. Maybe a few home truths come out of the process (one can only hope).

Exsilium

First Grade
Soward did

Liar. You would have seen the articles in the Panthers forum. Full of shit because you don't like Cleary.

I don’t rate Ivan at all. He’s a certain step back from the performances weve shown this year. I don’t expect the club to be held to ransom over Nathan either.

I actually believe Griffin did a good job with the squad he had. I don’t rate our squad as a top four certainty and I certainly don’t believe that he held or stalled careers.

Would he win a premiership? Maybe not. Am I happy we aren’t a cellar dwelling , talentless club being run by has been players like the old days...most definitely.

Also, not sure what articles you’re referring to.

OldPanther

Coach
I don’t rate Ivan at all. He’s a certain step back from the performances weve shown this year. I don’t expect the club to be held to ransom over Nathan either.

I actually believe Griffin did a good job with the squad he had. I don’t rate our squad as a top four certainty and I certainly don’t believe that he held or stalled careers.

Would he win a premiership? Maybe not. Am I happy we aren’t a cellar dwelling , talentless club being run by has been players like the old days...most definitely.

If you did miss maybe I went off too bad and apologise. Soward qrote at least one article before Gus got sacked talking down his coaching.

Exsilium

First Grade
If you did miss maybe I went off too bad and apologise. Soward qrote at least one article before Gus got sacked talking down his coaching.

I’ve been in the “is Cleary really worth it” club for a while. I want him to get a lot better before we throw everything at him. I never rated Ivan’s style of football but having said that he’s the best of a bad bunch of available coaches

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

No he's not a step back. He had a far inferior squad to this year's one at Penrith run 4th in 2014, beat the reigning premiers and consecutive minor premiers in week 1 then push all the way close to making the GF. He's made a GF before, at a club that told him he was free to bugger off mid season. He's a massive upgrade on Griffin.

Anyone who rips on him as being not a premiership coach, he never had a chance. He ran into Manly during their dynasty years, although during that time he regularly beat a salary cap cheating Storm side (and in finals too). Look at the pack he took to the 2014 GF qualifier. Who the f**k is Sam Anderson? Matt Robinson, Lewis Brown, Nigel Plum...geezus. He's a top drawer coach who can resurrect crap lists and cultures, get them firing and then consistently gets results. Six seasons with us, made finals 4 times, only times he didn't were a) because our CEO cheated the cap b) Sonny Fai died. I cried for 5-6 years after he left and we named dunce after dunce to replace him, then refused to re-hire him when he indicated he was keen.

I still believe he'll win a premiership sooner rather than later. Dunno how anyone doesn't rate him, unless they're not paying full attention.

Vic Mackey

Referee
The weird thing about this is I honestly think Michael McGuire and Penrith is a match made in heaven. Penrith have the squad (IMO) to win a comp and here’s a guy who’s had 5 years of NRL coaching with 1 Premiership, 3 Top 4 finishes and 4 semi finals.

He is a proven Authoritarian who Made every player under him better. Sign him on a 3 year deal and I’d be shocked if he didn’t bring them a Comp.

Ivan is a builder, he has a proven record at that, but he’s never taken a club that next step. Penrith don’t need a rebuild, they’re built and built bloody well. They now just need someone to finish it off.

Latest posts