What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pappas can't rule out challenge to board

swoop

Juniors
August 25, 2003

SOUTHS chairman Nick Pappas said today he couldn't rule out a challenge to his board ahead of a proposed overhaul of the struggling club's coaching structure in two weeks' time.

Pappas said he heard last week about a group intending to collect the necessary 100 signatures to force an extraordinary general meeting at Souths final home game this weekend.

But he said he couldn't name names, despite reports recently departed football manager Sean Garlick was heading a ticket including former coach Craig Coleman and failed board nominee Mark Carroll.

"I can't dismiss that (report)" Pappas said.

"If that's going to happen, it's a right members always have.

"We have 10,000 members and it wouldn't be difficult to find that out of 10,000 people – 100 people are aggrieved over one thing or another.

"I don't know what their motivation is."

Pappas played down reports Garlick left the club last week after a blazing row with chief executive David Tapp.

"All I can say is it reached a time when Sean felt it was time for him to move on, and I think the dispute has been overplayed in the press," Pappas said.

"This thing about a screaming match I know nothing about, and I've asked a number of staff members.

"There were disagreements about a couple of operational matters ... and Sean, to his credit, has maintained his dignity since his departure."

"And that's because he loves the club and the club still loves him."

After four months in the job with a new board, Pappas said he would in two weeks announce a blueprint for success on the field that had the unanimous support of the board and senior coaching staff.

"It's no coincidence the clubs that are successful have the most disciplined coaching structures," Pappas said.

"The Roosters and Brisbane are two excellent examples of a very disciplined structure on the coaching side, and on the player management side.

"Souths has traditionally had a fairly carefree attitude to these things.

"Things have sort of chugged along on their own.

"In the modern football community you've got to put in place very rigid structures that people work within.

"They know their boundaries and how far they can go, and I'm talking from head coach down to the strappers.

"Everyone knows how they can operate and within what limits they can operate.

"Then that also passes onto the players who then understand the discipline.

"The Roosters are probably the best example and we admire them for being able to instill that.

"But that came after many years of trial and error over there.

"We are only just starting now and hopefully it won't take us as long as it took them."

AAP

Mambo

Juniors
Ah swoop...the forums just wouldn't be the same without your little fly by night visits...all with pure intentions of course!

Latest posts