What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paramatta In Seattle

Craigo

Juniors
Wasn't a side put together a few years ago made up of players from West Chester University to play in the USARL 9's? I'm fairly sure they stepped in when another side pulled out.
Asnito, you seem like a fairly determined character, what are the chances of you becoming involved in getting something going at the University yourself? I'm sure the Fight and/or the USARL would be happy to help you out.

Asnito

Juniors
Wasn't a side put together a few years ago made up of players from West Chester University to play in the USARL 9's? I'm fairly sure they stepped in when another side pulled out.
Asnito, you seem like a fairly determined character, what are the chances of you becoming involved in getting something going at the University yourself? I'm sure the Fight and/or the USARL would be happy to help you out.
I would help out but a few things first.

1. I'm going to be laid up for like 6 months shortly so I wouldn't be a lot of help this year.

2. What are the long term plans/goals? Is it a beer league and people are just happy to keep it that way or is there a set focus and future plan.

3. Is the target demographic 15-30(or 40) year old males or are you trying for something different?

4. Would there be any support on a national or international level and are their goals the same?

ETC...

Lots of questions to be answered.

Asnito

Juniors
Asnito, the fight used to play at the west Chester university football stadium around 10 years ago.
10 years ago I didn't even know there was a difference between league and union:D.

The fact that they played there is good though as I think WC has the highest concentration of potential players and fans in the county.

usarlfan69

Juniors
Asnito,
Someone from the usarl would need to get with you for more detailed information and answers, but I can assure you that it is not just a beer league. RL in America, has gone through a lot of trials and tribulations, and a lot of guys are putting their heart and soul into the expansion of the sport here. The professionalism of rl in America is unrivaled by any domestic rugby union, and frankly, the standard of play is unrivaled by most any union in the USA. The usarl is a completely transparent governing body, that can be researched online for more info, But from what I have seen I can tell you that they do have both short and long term goals for the expansion and standard of the sport here in the US.

-Bottle

Asnito

Juniors
Asnito,
Someone from the usarl would need to get with you for more detailed information and answers, but I can assure you that it is not just a beer league. RL in America, has gone through a lot of trials and tribulations, and a lot of guys are putting their heart and soul into the expansion of the sport here. The professionalism of rl in America is unrivaled by any domestic rugby union, and frankly, the standard of play is unrivaled by most any union in the USA. The usarl is a completely transparent governing body, that can be researched online for more info, But from what I have seen I can tell you that they do have both short and long term goals for the expansion and standard of the sport here in the US.

-Bottle
I did some digging and I was impressed by what I saw of the USARL. The beer league comment wasn't intended as a slight and after looking through the website it was apparent.

As a league fan I am fearful of union taking over the US market and I think there's several ways to combat that but that's for another discussion.

Evil Homer

Staff member
^ I'm amazed that as someone who lives in America and is apparently interested in RL development in the USA you had literally zero knowledge of the USARL and thought it was a pub league.

gyallop

Juniors
I am confused with the reference to Yawnion and I havent seen a domestic game but it is hard to reconcile an amateur league with at best 300 players all up with RU. The San Fran club alone has more teams than RL has clubs. If the comments are right than the American RU who have 10 times the number of referees than RL has players and must be an absolute disgrace.
EH what level is the USA compared to the UK?
I think from what I have seen on line with their Aussie players the Fight and Jax would be competitive with a country team in NSW or Qld (but not a regional city team) which is fair effort given the tiny player pool.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Fight toured the UK about 4 years ago without their Aussie players and narrowly lost to a team from one of the summer amateur competitions, which at the time were much weaker than the winter competitions. I guess with their imports and four years development they would probably be able to compete well enough with some of the stronger amateur teams over here, although the very top clubs would probably still give them a hiding.

Asnito

Juniors
^ I'm amazed that as someone who lives in America and is apparently interested in RL development in the USA you had literally zero knowledge of the USARL and thought it was a pub league.
Zero exposure. Go to ESPN.com and tell me if you see anything about league on there. They have a dedicated Union page but nada on league.

I've heard more about the outdoor lacrosse and women's soccer leagues than anything about the Fight.

Latest posts