What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels want Cooper Cronk when Melbourne Storm abates by Dean Ritchie

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
THE Parramatta Eels are chasing Australian and Melbourne halfback Cooper Cronk.

094820-dtstory-cooper-cronk.jpg

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that Parramatta management has told Cronk's manager Chris Orr that the club is interested in signing him if forced to leave Melbourne.

New Super rugby union franchise the Melbourne Rebels are also interested but claim they have not made a formal approach.

Melbourne could be as much as $1.5 million over their salary cap and Cronk is the player most feel will be pushed elsewhere.

With Kris Keating signing for Canterbury, Parramatta see Cronk, 26, as someone who can lead them to grand final glory.

Cronk was a Kangaroo earlier this year for the Test against New Zealand. He has also played off the bench for Queensland in this season's State of Origin series.

If Parramatta sign Cronk, they would move struggling halfback Daniel Mortimer to five-eighth.

One well-placed Parramatta source said: "We'd love to have Cooper Cronk.

"I know the club has let his management know we would be interested.

"We need a bit of direction in the halves. We have young halves and a dominant fullback.

"We need someone to jump in and take control."

There were rumours over the weekend that the Rebels wanted Cronk, who was an Australian Schoolboy rugby union player in 2001. But Rebels chief executive Patrick Wilson denied the claims.

"We are not targeting any Storm players," Wilson said.

"It is obvious given what is happening at the Storm that there will be conjecture and speculation with the Rebels given they are both Melbourne sides.

"But we are not courting any Storm players."

Bulldogs halfback Brett Kimmorley is certain to retire now that Keating and Manly halfback Trent Hodkinson will be at Canterbury next season.

Link: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...rne-storm-abates/story-e6frexnr-1225884946452

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
One well-placed Parramatta source said: "We'd love to have Cooper Cronk.

OK, so is this the guy who mows the lawn or the one that sweeps out the dunnies ?

Anyone else think that this rumour is distracting?

Cronk most probably won't be coming and now We are turning on Mortimer. Mortimer is not a half back but it makes me think that if the cronk rumour had not been started on here would we have turned so harshly on Mortimer?
I feel sorry for Morts as the kid gives his all. Clearly he is not a halfback but I don't think the Cronk rumour which was released on LU has helped his situation regarding getting better support from supporters. I include myself in this.

Gronk

Staff member

Cronk most probably won't be coming and now We are turning on Mortimer. Mortimer is not a half back but it makes me think that if the cronk rumour had not been started on here would we have turned so harshly on Mortimer?
I feel sorry for Morts as the kid gives his all. Clearly he is not a halfback but I don't think the Cronk rumour which was released on LU has helped his situation regarding getting better support from supporters. I include myself in this.

Agree that it's all your fault Jake.

typicalfan

Coach
Who is that guy the Raiders had a few years back? Hearing he is coming back to Aus. Could suit if picked up cheap.

Eelementary

Post Whore

You know what sh*ts me? Mortimer is playing just about as well as Robson was at halfback (and in my opinion even worse), but the crucifixion Mortimer is receiving is still less than anything being directed at Robson. Robson has been solid at hooker and still people feel the need to stick the knife in him.

Mortimer will come good. But I think he needs to change his style - kick for corners and try to get repeat sets instead of all-out attack.