What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

Suitman

Post Whore
I still don’t understand how that carriage thing works? How does it know how full the carriages are?
From the article from Yahoo below, linked in the last page of this thread.
This has always been my belief of how it works as well.
I've followed this colour coded information before and it seems to work reasonably accurately.

A spokesperson for Transport for NSW spokesperson told Yahoo News Australia "the graphic is produced using the carriage capacity indicator, which uses data from weight sensors built into each carriage".

It's currently only available in Waratah trains and is able to "calculate how many passengers are on board and where space is available," the spokesperson continued.

"For other train set types across the network we use predictive data based on Opal data. It does this by predicting congestion to 90 per cent accuracy.

"Passengers can view that information on the indicator screens on platforms when a train is arriving and choose where to stand to board carriages with the most available space. The carriage capacity indicator is also available on real-time apps and is a great way for passengers to quickly find out where seats are available on a train."

Suitman

Post Whore

Have your say on plans for Pyrmont over station development

1710222164164.png

The community is invited to have their say on plans for over station development at Pyrmont.

The proposed development over Pyrmont Station includes a 31-storey building above the eastern site, located on Union Street. The building will include a mixed-use podium, with commercial and retail uses, and a residential tower to complement the station below, helping to create a vibrant new precinct where people can live, shop, work and play.

The new station and proposed development in Pyrmont will integrate with the surrounding area, while respecting Pyrmont’s heritage and enhancing the local character. It will link new communities within the Pyrmont Peninsula and Sydney CBD to transport connections, retail and commercial uses, new jobs and housing supply.

Development plans for Pyrmont Station and over station development are aligned with the NSW Department of Planning, Housing and Infrastructure’s Pyrmont Peninsula Place Strategy.

Sydney Metro commenced planning for over station development at Pyrmont by lodging a Scoping Report with the NSW Department of Planning, Housing and Infrastructure in 2022.

Sydney Metro has now lodged a Concept State Significant Development Application and Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for the proposed over station development, with the EIS on public exhibition until Tuesday, 9 April 2024.

For further information, including a 3D interactive model of the proposed development at Pyrmont, visit the Sydney Metro West interactive portal.

To view the plans and/or make a submission, visit the Department of Planning, Housing and Infrastructure website.

If anyone knows where the Pyrmont Bridge Hotel is, this will give you an indication of the location of the metro station.

1710222063005.png

hindy111

Post Whore
Magic?

Or maybe weight.

Weight sensors. Uses estimate of approx 70kgs equals one person.
Not that accurate if a lot of kids or overweight people are on one carriage etc. When I've used for work a lot for school kids are getting trains home at the same time and it's the carriage things is all over the place.

bazza

Immortal
Weight sensors. Uses estimate of approx 70kgs equals one person.
Not that accurate if a lot of kids or overweight people are on one carriage etc. When I've used for work a lot for school kids are getting trains home at the same time and it's the carriage things is all over the place.
airlines use estimates of weight based on male/female/kid and region of the world e.g. North american flight weights are higher than Asian flights
I think if airlines can do that to get planes flying safely around the world, estimates to give you an idea of how many people are on the the train will be fairly accurate

84 Baby

Referee
Who was that crackpot that used to post in here about ghettos 😂, lol.

Now this one I kinda agree with you on.
Sure sections on the Parra side could be residential but the majority of Rosehill is industrial as industrial can be and I’m not sure given history and positioning why they would bother changing that

hindy111

Post Whore
airlines use estimates of weight based on male/female/kid and region of the world e.g. North american flight weights are higher than Asian flights
I think if airlines can do that to get planes flying safely around the world, estimates to give you an idea of how many people are on the the train will be fairly accurate

Well I've definitely been on carriages that are green and can't get a seat or seats are very limited. But as I said I travel a lot at 3pm on way home and lot of school kids who probably weight 30kgs so it may throw it off.

hindy111

Post Whore
I think we need to look at a bullet train to Canberra or Newcastle and start building those cities up.
Sydney's full. I don't think more and more high risers with some metro stations is the answer. It does help a lot and so do the light rails which should be going into housing estates imo like Glenmore park, Oran Park etc....
But imagine a 1 hour bullet train to Canberra. Long term solution

bazza

Immortal
I think we need to look at a bullet train to Canberra or Newcastle and start building those cities up.
Sydney's full. I don't think more and more high risers with some metro stations is the answer. It does help a lot and so do the light rails which should be going into housing estates imo like Glenmore park, Oran Park etc....
Sydney can add more housing - but having proper transport options to regional NSW would definitely be a plus for everyone
would be able to get to Raiders and Knights away games and be home in an hour or so

84 Baby

Referee
Sydney is too sprawling for this likely to be feasible. Your options are basically Central to Canberra (existing tracks aren’t going to support high speed connection/even if use existing track, it’d be likely very limited service, like once a day each way, and then you have to look at landscape between here and there to see a new direct track would be expensive) or Canberra to some more feasible point (if you’re not going to Sydney commercial hub, what’s the likelihood of uptake, Japan’s bullet trains run about 300km/hr so that reduces Canberra to Sydney to 1 hour each day way, if it then takes someone a further 30 mins each way to get from wherever Sydney to their workplace, it’s not really worth it).

bazza

Immortal
Sydney is too sprawling for this likely to be feasible. Your options are basically Central to Canberra (existing tracks aren’t going to support high speed connection/even if use existing track, it’d be likely very limited service, like once a day each way, and then you have to look at landscape between here and there to see a new direct track would be expensive) or Canberra to some more feasible point (if you’re not going to Sydney commercial hub, what’s the likelihood of uptake, Japan’s bullet trains run about 300km/hr so that reduces Canberra to Sydney to 1 hour each day way, if it then takes someone a further 30 mins each way to get from wherever Sydney to their workplace, it’s not really worth it).
doubt it would be a thing for people to commute 5 days a weeks from Canberra to Sydney - though would be ok for those that work 1-2 days in the office.
Main advantage would be for business trips compared to plane, bus or driving.

Also would be good for those outside Sydney to access entertainment and services in Sydney that are currently harder to reach

For commuting the main beneficiaries of Syd - Can faster rail would be those in Campbelltown, Southern Highlands and Goulburn maybe.

84 Baby

Referee
doubt it would be a thing for people to commute 5 days a weeks from Canberra to Sydney - though would be ok for those that work 1-2 days in the office.
Main advantage would be for business trips compared to plane, bus or driving.
If it’s not an everyday thing then the chances of it being built are even slimmer.
Also would be good for those outside Sydney to access entertainment and services in Sydney that are currently harder to reach

For commuting the main beneficiaries of Syd - Can faster rail would be those in Campbelltown, Southern Highlands and Goulburn maybe.
Of course if you are adding in stops, it improves the reach, but it also increases travel times

Latest posts