What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

Chipmunk

Coach
sydney-rail-network-metro-future-01.png
As someone who doesn't really catch these trains very often...what exactly isn't operating yet on this map?

Suitman

Post Whore
As someone who doesn't really catch these trains very often...what exactly isn't operating yet on this map?

About a third of it.
I'm not even sure why @Gronk even posted that map.
We'll all be dead before all that ever comes into existence.

This is the latest updated map released by the State Govt just yesterday.
It will change again in 18 months when the Bankstown section of the City / SW section of the line opens from Sydenham to Bankstown.
It will then change again when the WSA line opens in 2026. And will once again change when the City-Westmead line opens in 2032.
After that? .......... well, we currently have a Labor govt in charge so don't expect any future infrastructure announcements anytime soon.

1714551497695.png

Suitman

Post Whore
So when do they plan having all of this built?

They haven't yet planned any of these extra lines.
The previous govt had planned business cases for four of them. The current govt canned two of these business cases.
Don't expect anything else to happen for a very long time once the current under construction metros are complete.
Even the Parra Metro completion has been delayed by 2 years due to f**king political grand standing.

Delboy

First Grade
Infrastructure and Labor should not be used in the same sentence, currently they are opening projects they furiously opposed when in opposition , with comments that these are ground breaking changes that are good for the future. They now pull back on spending in west and north west Sydney on road projects, yet hire beauraucrats and defer to union demands . Keeping the Greens and Teal happy to stay in government is unfortunately almost a major part of their decision making.

strider

Post Whore
All the T lines are the existing rail network.

None of M3-5 exist ..... M2 is very early days ..... M1 about 1/3 runs now. Soon to be half of it running then maybe 3/4 another yr later.

Edit. Sorry. I mixed up M2 and M3 .... M3 is very early days .... M2 is 1/2 under consfruction

Suitman

Post Whore
Infrastructure and Labor should not be used in the same sentence, currently they are opening projects they furiously opposed when in opposition , with comments that these are ground breaking changes that are good for the future. They now pull back on spending in west and north west Sydney on road projects, yet hire beauraucrats and defer to union demands . Keeping the Greens and Teal happy to stay in government is unfortunately almost a major part of their decision making.
I'm amazed you as a Labor person admitted to that
Well done. It's so true.
And, I'm a Labor person historically as well.

the phantom menace

First Grade
Even the Parra Metro completion has been delayed by 2 years due to f**king political grand standing.
Lol. Could have something to do with the LNP budget black hole they left behind... and factors that underpin the cost of living crisis impacts government spending too.

Suitman

Post Whore
Out of the blue the hoardings on the western end of Martin Place platform are down and the subterranean access to the Metro is ready to go.

View attachment 86014
@Gronk

I went to the Martin Place Metro station open day today.
Remember this garage door?
At 14 mins 20 secs in the following video, it reveals what is behind it.

For the record, the whole station is absolutely f**king mind-blowing in its scale/size, design and architecture.
It is stunning.

TheRam

Coach
@Gronk

I went to the Martin Place Metro station open day today.
Remember this garage door?
At 14 mins 20 secs in the following video, it reveals what is behind it.

For the record, the whole station is absolutely f**king mind-blowing in its scale/size, design and architecture.
It is stunning.

As beautiful as it is it's too freakin big. When I go to train stations I just want to go in and bing I'm at my intended platform within 30 sec's or so. I don't want to be going all over the place and maybe miss my train if I'm running late. Especially if I'm not to familiar with its layout and I have to stop and workout what is what.

I know that there will be regular trains(apparently) but if you are running late you don't need the extra stress.

Oh and I like to whinge. :D

Suitman

Post Whore
As beautiful as it is it's too freakin big. When I go to train stations I just want to go in and bing I'm at my intended platform within 30 sec's or so. I don't want to be going all over the place and maybe miss my train if I'm running late. Especially if I'm not to familiar with its layout and I have to stop and workout what is what.

I know that there will be regular trains(apparently) but if you are running late you don't need the extra stress.

Oh and I like to whinge. :D

You certainly do like to whinge but that is fine.

The reason why this station is so huge is that it is predicted that it will be the busiest station in the country come 2032.
It will link with the T4 line, the CSW line, the NW metro and the metro west line. Also, every other line in Sydney via Central Station interchange.
Therefore, commuters coming from the East, West, SW and the North West and the north and south.
That's a fair proportion of Sydney's working population, all heading towards the major business and financial district of the city.
That is why it has been designed so large, so it does not reach capacity anytime soon.
Let's not forget that the metro has so much more scope for expansion of capacity. Currently just 6 carriage trains, but the stations have been built for 8 carriage trains.
Also, they currently run at 4 minute headways during peak hour but it can reduce that to 2 minute headways at a flick of a switch of the computers.
That doubles capacity just there plus some.
Gladys was a genius setting up this system.

Last edited:

eels_fan

First Grade
As beautiful as it is it's too freakin big. When I go to train stations I just want to go in and bing I'm at my intended platform within 30 sec's or so. I don't want to be going all over the place and maybe miss my train if I'm running late
Never go to Tokyo then

at central there you can get off a train, take 2 lifts, 6 escalators, 5 travellators (like the airport ones) and walk for 10mins and you’ll still be in the station

the phantom menace

First Grade
So I take it foreplay's not for you then?

Latest posts