What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pat - Fkn brutal

Packy

Bench
CANTERBURY forward Pat O’Hanlon knew his career was in jeopardy the moment he looked down to see bone poking out of his blue sock.
The Bundaberg front-rower is the forgotten man of Canterbury’s premiership charge, his season ended by a compound leg fracture against Melbourne in the first week of the finals which was so sickening that Channel Nine refused to show a replay.
Pat O'Hanlon is attended to by trainers after seriously breaking his leg against the Stor
Pat O'Hanlon is attended to by trainers after seriously breaking his leg against the Storm. Source: Getty Images
Teammates had to turn their heads away when they saw O’Hanlon’s left leg snapped in half, his tibia shooting out from his skin after what had seemed to be an innocuous tackle.
“I knew immediately. I looked straight down and I could see my bone through my sock,” O’Hanlon said.
“That was the only reason I knew. I didn’t hear anything. I didn’t hear a crack or a pop or anything, the first thing I did was look down and my ankle was pointing up into the air and my bone was sticking out of my shin and I thought ‘that doesn’t look anatomically correct’.
“It was complete and utter shock. I was just swearing. I didn’t know what to do.
“It was about a minute of lying there in pain until I got the green whistle but it felt like a friggin year.’’
Bulldogs forward Pat O'Hanlon suffered multiple ankle and leg compound fractures during t
Bulldogs forward Pat O'Hanlon suffered multiple ankle and leg compound fractures during the first week of the finals. Source: News Limited
O’Hanlon was rushed to nearby Epworth Hospital where doctors considered putting the 23-year-old on an emergency flight back to Sydney for surgery.
He had a dislocated and broken ankle, shattered fibula and compound fracture of his tibia. The bones were so badly damaged the Bulldogs doctors could not realign them.
It was an injury almost as gruesome as the one which ultimately ended Jharal Yow Yeh’s career.
Luckily for O’Hanlon, renowned ankle surgeon Geoff Tymms stopped at the hospital to visit other patients on his way home from the same Storm-Bulldogs game at AAMI Park.
Dr Tymms offered to do the operation and by midnight O’Hanlon had screws and plates inserted and his ligaments reattached.
Jharal Yow Yeh says goodbye to Brisbane fans after being forced into retirement due to a
Jharal Yow Yeh says goodbye to Brisbane fans after being forced into retirement due to a series leg break. Source: News Corp Australia
“Jharal was a bit worse, that’s what I’ve been told,” O’Hanlon said. “There is a fair bit of damage there, it was pretty nasty.
“With the compound, he got it all back inside the skin and put a plate down the side of my leg and then screwed everything back in and sewed the ligaments back together.
“There is a plate and about five or six screws. I’ve seen the X-rays of the job they did and it all looks kind of well aligned again. Now it’s just a matter of letting it set.’’
O’Hanlon has not been back to Sydney since the injury, instead recovering with his parents on the Gold Coast.
X-Ray’s of Bulldogs forward Pat O'Hanlon multiple ankle and leg compound fractures.
X-Ray’s of Bulldogs forward Pat O'Hanlon multiple ankle and leg compound fractures. Source: News Limited
If his recovery goes perfectly he could resume weight-bearing training in six weeks and have the screws removed in 10 weeks.
He will see his teammates for the first time on Saturday, when he joins them on the team bus to the preliminary final against Penrith at ANZ Stadium.
O’Hanlon may miss premiership glory with the Bulldogs this year, but has vowed to fight back from the injury that has threatened his career and play again next year.
“I knew in my head that with the seriousness of the injury there is a chance (I won’t play again),” he said.
Pat O'Hanlon is recovering from multiple ankle and leg compound fractures two weeks ago p
Pat O'Hanlon is recovering from multiple ankle and leg compound fractures two weeks ago playing in the NRL finals. Source: News Limited
“I’ve just been trying to tell myself that blokes have come back from broken legs before and I’m just looking at it as a broken leg.
“They haven’t mentioned I possibly might not play again to me because they might think it’s a bit too full on to say, but I understood that might be the case within myself.
“My goal is 2015. I want to get back on the field desperately but obviously if it does not go to plan like that then I have to reassess a few things but I’m not looking at it like that.
“I’m just going to first and foremost do as much as I can in regards to my rehab and hopefully get back on the field.’’

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...ek-of-the-finals/story-fniabn13-1227068354849

--------------------------------------------------

Get well soon fella. Good egg.

Last edited:

TheViking

Juniors
Heart goes out for Pat.

Hope he heals well for life and football.

Hopefully never another Yow Yeh or McKinnon in NRL again.

natheel

Coach
started to get some good game time and played to his potential hope he recovers well