What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pathetic !!!

J

Johnsy

That is the only way to describe what happened today. If we think we have any chance of making the semi's we need to have a good hard look at ourselves, cause at the moment we stink.
emcry.gif

Johnsy

imported_Beast

Juniors
SaintsIllawarra were clearly outcoached by Manly, which is a shocking indictment on Nathan Brown as Peter Sharp is an appalling coach. Brown appears to be conducting himself more as a captain coach than a head coach. With a game against the Bulldogs next week it could become real ugly for SaintsIllawarra!

O

ozbash

just watched brownys sideline performance with firman,barrett and thompson..
whats wrong with the dressing room ?
i thought- hoped thompson was going to belt him.
barrett should have belted him for the slap
firman did not need the public dressing down/humiliation his coach dished out.

that was pathetic !!!

E

Edwahu

I heard a talkback caller ask Lozza why Simmons was dropped and Lozza said it was because Brown was a man of his word and had promised Hornby first crack at fullback. That struck me as a bit of a joke.

I still reckon you can make the 8 if youjust go back to basics forawhile and I remember saying pretty much exactly the same thingsmost Dragons fans arebut about the Raiders at this time last year.

J

Johnsy

Edwahu

I have no doubt we CAN make the 8, but there is to be some pride shed and some egos deflated before we get back on track. Respect seems to be something lacking after seeing the actions of a coach today.

Johnsy

A

ali

This result brought a smile to my face, especially considering the dismal form of my own team. I didn't see the game today, but in other games you would have to admit that Brett Firman is not living up to the hype that has surrounded his move north of the Georges and south of the Nasho. Do you think his time is up?
Anyway the way we are both going this year, our seasons may come down to the battle for local pride. I hear tickets go on sale tomorrow and I can't wait for it. I am still yet to see Cronulla lose at Kogarah after 3 visits. A full house in there will be tops.

brianxxx

Juniors
i listened to the call on the radio and was most disturbed ,i told a mate before the game if they loose to manly i would change teams or watch the afl .the are the laughting stock of the ARL they whole outfit coach,board and players should have a good hard look at them selves.I cant stress more how they seem to let go so many good players and keep players with names but no heart.names dont win games players do and we seem to have a lot of those ,we let go justin smith he will be a future star ,we let go fitsgibon and now look at him and the list gos on.
Sorry boys i cant bring my self to follow any other side so i will be watching the movie channel.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Well, in that case brianxxx, you were never a supporter in the first place.

btw, Its called the NRL.

brianxxx

Juniors
sorry willow i made a small error but my argument stands nrl arl so what the pride has disappeared in the red and white colours we should go back to the old days of ST GEORGE not a breed of loosers.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
"the pride has disappeared in the red and white colours... ST GEORGE not a breed of loosers. "
Fair point Brianxxx. I can understand that... its all part of instilling a culture of winning - something which has been lacking for the last few years.

But ditching the team after a loss is something I can't relate to. Win, lose or draw... its all part of being a supporter.

thats right Willow

win/lose or draw i will be at every match possible

and every match i believe we will win - this week is no different and of course i will pick them in my tipping comps- can't go much worse than my dismal effort of 2 this week

true supporters stick by the team- the fickle turn up come September (30,000 turn up in September and an average 10,000 each week- numbers don't stack up)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Ozbash: "just watched brownys sideline performance with firman,barrett and thompson..that was pathetic !!!"

I'm happy to discuss that incident. It would never have happened if the players had done as they were told.

Think about it. The team was clearly not adhering to the game plan.

They resembled a disorganised rabble and whatever was said to them in the sheds went in one ear and out the other. They train all week and set up plays and go through drills and all the while, the coach is trying to instill discipline into the players... he is trying to get them to stick to what they have all agreed upon.
Do you think Brown didnt try to tell the players what to do beforehand? Offcourse he did.

Blind Freddy could see that the key players were allowing the opposition to dictate terms in the first half. I knowthe sideline incident didnt look great but it just may be that the coach was at his wits end. What does it take to make these players realise thatBrown is the boss..? there's no two ways about it.

As a player, Nathan Brown epitomised the winning spirit. How frustrating it must be that he has to drum this into his players. They think they are with a mate and they think its a holiday.. well, its not. Brown simply blasted them for thinking that he was an easy touch.

Train the living daylights out of them this week, Brownie.
Make them realise who's in charge.

L

legend

Willow, I was castigated by many Saints fans for suggesting Brown would have trouble with his players because he had played with them and they would not treat him as a coach, more as a mate. Your post just rammed home what I was trying to say all along. He will find it very hard to command respect from guys like Barrett and Thompson, especially in light of his tantrum today.

As for Browns actions. Disgraceful in the extreme. Sackable offence as the humiliation of players like that should never be tolerated, regardless of their performance. That sort of stuff is for training and the change rooms, not in full view of Saints fans. It will be very destabilising for the club and Brown isn't a coaches bumcrack. I said that before and I stand by that. He has far too many hangers on and he simply hasn't changed the teams performance after promising so much.

If it was my son who was getting slapped by his coach for performing poorly, I would have no hesitation in putting him on his arse or if it was me personally, I would have no hesitation in putting the coah on his arse.

The bottom line is Saints do not have a winning culture and they are in real strife IMO. Where do they go from here? They have the Dogs and Roosters in the next two weeks so their season could be derailed before it ever got off the ground.

The bottom line is Saints do not have a winning culture and they are in real strife IMO.

that's what coach brown is trying to change. the players have been in cruise mode for too long and needed a wake up call. if all hell breaks loose because of the sideline incident so be it. at least something will happen.

here was my take on the incident at worl

well done coach brown, well done.

it's time to rattle some cages because the knuckleheads we have playing for the saints just don't want to learn how to improve. what excuse can the players come up with for yet another pitiful display and complete disregard for possesion of the football. the time for excuses are over. these players need to learn the facts of life. i hope coach brown will be the one to teach them.

keep up the good work coach brown. don't let the players dictate proceedings.
eventually the numbskulls will learn and if they don't, ship them the hell out of the club.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Legend, please spareus your 'I told you so' rants. Its become dull to the extreme.
When your team falls in a heap through injuries, and dodgy ref decisions later in the year, I'm sure there'll be plenty lining up to lay the boot in while they're down.

Regarding the effort today, whats being said at training clearly went in one ear and out the other. Its as simple as that. I've already indicated as much.

"If it was my son who was getting slapped by his coach for performing poorly, I would have no hesitation in putting him on his arse "

No one was 'slapped', stick to the facts.

And what is it with this 'my son' crap? When does it suddenly become an issue for the parents watching in the stands?
I dont give a stuff about 'sons' being embarrassed on the sidelines. This isnt the U/7s for christs sake. These guys are paid to play. They're grown men and if that sort of stuff scares them, then thats their problem.

In case you've forgotten, its a lot more testing on the field then it could ever be on the sideline. Sticks and stones and get on with it... I've seen worse and the only difference was that there were no commentatorsor loungeroom critics around to pass judgment.

In any case, one would expect that the blokes involved will put it behind them at the earliest opportunity.

"The bottom line is Saints do not have a winning culture "
The culture of winning is something that has to be earned.... but no team has a monopoly on this. Once again, if read back you'll see that you're not the only one to recognise theDragons current lack of winning culture. But thanks for pointing it out for those who have missed it the first time round.

imported_Outlaw

Juniors
14legdragons,0.jpg

Emotion-charged ... Dragons coach Nathan Brown gets stuck into some of his players, at one stage striking Trent Barrett across the face.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Someone who was at the match told me on messenger last night that Brown gave Barrett a finger on the cheek and that it wasnt a slap or a strike. If that in formation is wrong then I'm in error also.

Foxsports news:
"I don't regret the blast, but I shouldn't have given him a clip," Brown said. "The skipper has pulled me into line about it, as he should." I agree that no one, (team mate or coach) should be striking a player on the sideline. Its out of line and measures should be put in place to make sure it doesnt happen again... this is assuming that the news service is right and the eye witness is wrong.