What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Patterson told to look at other clubs

Alex28

Coach
Opportunity for Pato to go to the Cowboys for the rest of this season plus the next two. Would love to reference it, however the mods here appear to see the website as spam so I can not.

Jono078

Referee
Why let him go this season :(

I'm gonna be gutted if he leaves and kicks on at another NRL club.

Perth Knights

Juniors
I've seen this article too. Sounds like the Cowboys are really interested in him.

Great swap though ... we get Kaufusi (utter crap) and they get Paterson (great potential).

Sigh ...

jonno_knights

Juniors
Nth QLD already have a quite capable back row rotation of Sims, Hall, Johnson, Bolton and Cooper (might be in centres permanantly now though).

Jobdog

Live Update Team
He's just going to be added to the list of Knights players who go to other clubs and kill it.

Alex28

Coach
My bet is with another two years worth of contract up his sleeve he'll potter around like he does for us and then get motivated when it is time to re-sign.

He still has to find an accredited manager to complete the deal yet...

Archduke_Franz

Juniors
This could turn out very interesting..I wonder if fans will view patto in the same way as the last player to do that (clint newton) if he decides to walk away mid season? what would make things even more interesting is if fans do want to chase patto out of town with pitchforks is the reaction if patto is indeed replaced by one clint newton, if you believe the rumours..hmmm

Tom155

Coach
This could turn out very interesting..I wonder if fans will view patto in the same way as the last player to do that (clint newton) if he decides to walk away mid season? what would make things even more interesting is if fans do want to chase patto out of town with pitchforks is the reaction if patto is indeed replaced by one clint newton, if you believe the rumours..hmmm
Pato got the tap on the shoulder, newton chucked a tantrum & walked out when we werent going that well, dont want him back at all.

Last edited:

G.I.

Juniors
http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2011/06/01/235601_sport.html

THE North Queensland Cowboys are in the hunt for Newcastle Knights second rower Cory Paterson and the good news for the club is that Paterson seems just as keen to make a move to Townsville.

Paterson could join North Queensland in a mid-season transfer depending on the results of negotiations between the Cowboys, Knights and Paterson - who is his own agent and contracted to Newcastle until the end of 2012.

He will have until June 30 to make a decision to relocate to Townsville if he wants to play in Cowboys' colours this season, which is the deadline for players wanting to make a mid-season move.

Newcastle confirmed yesterday that Paterson would have that option open to him with Knights' strategic development officer Keith Onslow telling the Townsville Bulletin a mid-season transfer to North Queensland would be given "all due consideration".

"If it progresses we'll all sit down and have a look at it," Onslow said. "June 30 is the cut-off point in the NRL so if it's going to happen it's got to happen before then."

Paterson paid his own way to make a weekend visit to Townsville when he toured the Cowboys' facilities and caught up with club officials.

The 23-year-old was joined by his young fiancee Sarah Donaldson during the trip and watched from the stands at Dairy Farmers Stadium on Saturday night as his potential future teammates rolled the hapless Sydney Roosters.

Is it believed that Paterson is being told to look elsewhere to make way under the salary cap for the likes of Darius Boyd, who is set to join supercoach Wayne Bennett at the Knights from St George Illawarra in 2012.

The Cowboys on the other hand are searching for some added depth in their back row department and believe that Paterson will provide suitable long-term back-up for back-row workhorses such as Glenn Hall and Dallas Johnson.

Cowboys general manager of football Peter Parr, who caught up with Paterson during the player's Townsville visit, said the Newcastle junior would be a good fit.

"He ticks off a lot of the boxes for us when it comes to off the field and what he'll bring to the team on the field," Parr said.

"And we've told him that if he were to be able to negotiate an appropriate release from his contract with the Knights, we'd have some interest in looking to bring him here.

"That's obviously dependent on him gaining a satisfactory outcome for himself from the Knights and then working out whether we'd be the club he'd like to play football for."

Paterson must have made an impression on the Cowboys during their 34-22 defeat at the hands of Newcastle back in round two of the current season. The second rower ran riot against North Queensland that game and punched through the Cowboys line three times, while his nine hit-ups added further misery for his opponents.

Parr said the Cowboys would not rush talks with Paterson and would not speculate on the length of any contract until talks progressed.

"Nothing has really gone past first base yet, so that's for further down the track if it gets to that stage," he said. "We've got to ensure that if he does come to the club that it doesn't hinder us re-signing some blokes that we already have within our ranks.

"We're not the major player here, he has to have some discussions with the Knights.

"Where we are in the pecking order for the clubs interested in him - I don't know - but we'll continue to maintain some dialogue with him and see if anything eventuates."

Latest posts