What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Gallen claims ARL Player of the Year Award

Big Pete

Referee
You're basing your entire argument on one fans opinion, it would be like me using Gaba, Bunniesman or Knightmare as reprsentatives of your opinion.

All I ever said, was that he was a good player but I don't rate him as the best Australian player in the game.

As for Thaiday, I don't recall rating him higher for the series, if I did there wouldn't of been much in it. As for a better season, I would take Sam's over Paul's.

The rest is irrelevant because I never made any of those claims.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
No Pete you seem reasonable, even if you would be the threesome for Sam. Many other Qlders, ignore the fact QLD win the SOO, and dominate the AUS side, but lose to the kiwis.

QLDers ignoring facts since 2005 about the AUS side.

Big Pete

Referee
You seem way more into Paul than I'm into Sammy.

We seem to only lose the finals, when our players are replaced by Blues or two players are injured mid-match.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Ohhhh...

And for the record

"Desert Qlder" said:
Yes he has been the major contributor to a losing culture in the Australian team.

Titanic said:
and his club and I suppose you could include The Blues in there too - a shining light in a winning culture

QLders who fail to see thier player dominate the AUS side.

Big Pete

Referee
Na, I see paul has faults, you fail to see Sam in a threesome.

Where haven't I acknowledged that point?

You seem to be going all gun-ho since some people don't see Gallen as the be all to end all.

hahaha, well played, ther for all to see, yet again.

Hey you were playing the state card, I was just showing you how silly it was.

I do, when Paul won MOTM.

In a dead rubber.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
all gun-ho since some people don't see Gallen as the be all to end all.
Yet again no. I simply note, Paul won the award for Australian player of the year. Qlders (not so much you) say "losing culture" yet Darren is captain.

I think the kiwis have improved, QLDers despite dominating the AUS side blame Paul.

Are you prepared to say Paul very well for AUS, and the loss is not his fault?

As that is all I claiming.

I do not blame Darren for leading us to these losses, but QLDers want to Paul.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Angry: do you honestly expect to ever get a Queenslander to acknowledge the massive chip on their shoulder?

Gallen throughly deserves his award. Had a massive season, and it was in no way his fault that Cronulla, NSW, or Australia lost. And unlike Thaiday, he kept it going the whole season. Thaiday did nothing after about round 12, after absolutely tearing it up for the first 3 months.

Yes, he's been an arsehole in the past, but he appears to have worked very hard on getting that sh*t out of his game, as well as the dumb penalties. That's why he's suddenly getting rated by all and sundry, excpet for the odd Queenslander who'd rather castrate themselves with a plastic spoon than ever acknowledge that any player from NSW is any good.

Big Pete

Referee
Yet again no.

This isn't the first time you've gotten upset because somebody hasn't bowed down to Gallen.

Angry: do you honestly expect to ever get a Queenslander to acknowledge the massive chip on their shoulder?

Funny, it was a Blue who turned this into another Origin thread...

Thaiday did nothing after about round 12, after absolutely tearing it up for the first 3 months.

:lol:

Thaiday was going great guns until the Cowboys game where Lockyer got injured.

snoozer

Bench
Gallen throughly deserves his award. Had a massive season, and it was in no way his fault that Cronulla, NSW, or Australia lost. And unlike Thaiday, he kept it going the whole season. Thaiday did nothing after about round 12, after absolutely tearing it up for the first 3 months.

Yes, he's been an arsehole in the past, but he appears to have worked very hard on getting that sh*t out of his game, as well as the dumb penalties. That's why he's suddenly getting rated by all and sundry, excpet for the odd Queenslander who'd rather castrate themselves with a plastic spoon than ever acknowledge that any player from NSW is any good.

i'm glad someone else can see that.

i'll accept that gallen isn't the best player in either nsw or aus.

but he certainly has been the best performer in both rep sides in recent times.

Vossy

Bench
No, what I'm saying is it worth looking at the great players and leaders in our game - Darren Lockyer, Benji Marshall, Andrew Johns, Cameron Smith, Brad Fittler. These are players that Paul Gallen is being compared to by the likes of yourselves. However, what do they have in common that he has not been a part of? Premierships, Origin wins, International successes. These are the hallmarks of our great players.

Playing their whole careers in any of the 1,6,7, or 9 positions?

Last edited:

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Deadset fellas, harden up. Just because a man is a Queenslander doesn't mean he doesn't rate NSWelshmen. Some of the blokes I most admire in the game are from down south (up north these days) e.g. Luke Lewis, Chris Lawrence, Tom Learoyd-Lahrs, Todd Carney, Ben Hornby. These are the blokes who will lead the roaches to their next Origin victory, scary stuff come next May.

This is not a NSW/QLD thing, it's about one fans opinion of a certain player. If that's all the retort you have then give it up.

I have an intense aversion for watching Cronulla, but often catch their games, and watch with studious interest representative games, and most if not all in recent years have involved Paul Gallen. There is no way I can accept the claim that he has managed to disregard his more unscrupulous tactics from his game. More than ever, he employed these during my most recent watching of him during the Four Nations game versus Australia in Melbourne. It was embarrassing to watch, and I'm yet to be convinced he is a positive influence on any of the side he is involved in.

So Tim Sheens rates him, ask Wests Tigers fans what that means.

Big Pete

Referee
Except Hornby, who decided he was done with his glittering rep. career.

We'll never forget you Ben.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
You can't blame him for not wanting to play amongst the so called NSW 'bruised brothers' with their winning ways.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Me neither. But given Hornby is now a premiership captain, it is difficult to criticize his decision. Perhaps he understood the the insipid nature of the selection policies of NSW and the faith they placed in their 'leadership' team.