What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penalty Differentials

BranVan3000

Coach
I had posted some of this on one of the other Rooster conspiracy threads:

Interesting way to look at it:

Penalties received
Souths 167
Easts 162
Difference +3%

Crowds (home average)
Souths 22,261
Easts 19,368
Difference +13%

Not too far away, 3 and 13.

What about 2014?

Penalties received
Souths 219
Easts 135
Difference +38%

Crowds (home average)
Souths 19,888
Easts 14,102
Difference +29%

So 38 to 29. Again fairly close.

Why? Simple .......

"BOOOOOOOOO". and "GETIMONSIDE"

__

I wouldn't argue that is the sole reason, far from it, but you can't whinge that we seem to boo all game and then think that it has no effect. The refs may be Voldemort's but they are not robots.

So I would say to the Roosters supporters, get off your couch and actually turn up at games and support your team. Clearly the guys that post here go to games, so get your mates to do the same each week. May even become a habit.

Cheers
It's an interesting point. What is the Roosters penalty counts like at home vs away?

Danish

Referee

Penalties received
Souths 167
Easts 162
Difference +3%

Crowds (home average)
Souths 22,261
Easts 19,368
Difference +13%

What about 2014?

Penalties received
Souths 219
Easts 135
Difference +38%

Crowds (home average)
Souths 19,888
Easts 14,102
Difference +29%

Why? Simple .......

__

I wouldn't argue that is the sole reason, far from it, but you can't whinge that we seem to boo all game and then think that it has no effect. The refs may be Voldemort's but they are not robots.

So I would say to the Roosters supporters, get off your couch and actually turn up at games and support your team. Clearly the guys that post here go to games, so get your mates to do the same each week. May even become a habit.

Cheers

219 is 38% more than 135 is it?

Failed maths I'm guessing

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade

Penalties received
Souths 167
Easts 162
Difference +3%

Crowds (home average)
Souths 22,261
Easts 19,368
Difference +13%

What about 2014?

Penalties received
Souths 219
Easts 135
Difference +38%

Crowds (home average)
Souths 19,888
Easts 14,102
Difference +29%

Why? Simple .......

__

Cheers

Failed maths obviously as your %'s are not even close to being correct. Though as a Souths fan no doubt you didn't graduate beyond primary school. Now compare our crowds and penalties to the other 14 clubs and likewise Souths. It will make for interesting reading if for no other reason then showing that you can't calculate basic growth percentages.

Last edited:

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Failed maths obviously as your %'s are not even close to being correct. Though as a Souths fan no doubt you didn't graduate beyond primary school. Now compare our crowds and penalties to the other 14 clubs and likewise Souths. It will make for interesting reading if for no other reason then showing that you can't calculate basic growth percentages.

Yes, yes, clearly I have an issue going back and forth on a phone between the websites and the calculator. Mea culpa.

Looks like you don't want to discuss the crowd angle. Just here to troll.

Let's look over a longer period of time.
Between 1980 and 2015, the following are the average penalties per match:

For
Souths 7.5
Easts 7.0

Against
Souths 7.2
Easts 7.3

So no massive difference.

To get them this even, you obviously had a period where you received more penalties than us. Any complaints about that?

Further, there are teams with larger differentials, but that doesn't fit into your BS diatribe.

Source:
http://afltables.com/rl/misc/penalties.html

THE CHAMP

First Grade
So one game over rides 10 years.

no idiot I'm giving you an example
ffs watch the last 12 rorters games of 02
you softcocks complain about getting to many penalties against you when you must know they are conceding them on purpose.
between 2000 and 2004 the rorters were the golden children.
then fitler left
check the pre and post fitler stats

kbw

Bench
What a willfully ignorant trash article. Anybody with any intelligence at all would know that an uneven count is not inherently unfair. The Roosters intentionally give away penalties as f**king strategy.

You might have something there, well you are an expert in ignorance, providing us examples dailiy.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Just quickly cooked up this table of Penalties For/Against, for each team, over the past 6 years (2009-2014)

Penalties For/Against (2009-2014)
Total Penalties For Average For Total Penalties Against Average Against
Brisbane 894 5.88 810 5.33
Canberra 851 5.76 812 5.50
Canterbury 841 5.45 948 6.14
Cronulla 980 6.67 816 5.56
Gold Coast Titans 918 6.23 920 6.23
Manly 936 5.93 981 6.20
Melbourne 917 5.93 940 6.08
New Zealand 817 5.50 840 5.64
Newcastle 864 5.79 860 5.77
North Queensland 885 5.90 870 5.81
Parramatta 843 5.70 858 5.82
Penrith 889 6.01 953 6.43
Souths 944 6.18 819 5.37
St George Illawarra 916 6.07 803 5.32
Sydney Roosters 810 5.27 1070 6.94
Wests Tigers 916 6.14 921 6.21

League Average For: 5.90

Stats compiled from: http://afltables.com/rl/misc/penalties.html
(Obviously, League Average For = League Average Against if you have any common sense)
Make of that what you will

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
We give away penalties on purpose because we like defending. We also ask the referees not to give us penalties because we like defending especially in the 2nd half.

bottle

Coach
So over 5 (6? 09-14 inclusive?) years the Rorters average less than one penalty less than the average penalties for, and just a smidge over 1 penalty more penalties against than average penalties against.
So it's a non issue.
Thanks for clearing that up Chook.
Will the sooking stop now?

Tommy Smith

Referee
So over 5 (6? 09-14 inclusive?) years the Rorters average less than one penalty less than the average penalties for, and just a smidge over 1 penalty more penalties against than average penalties against.
So it's a non issue.
Thanks for clearing that up Chook.
Will the sooking stop now?
It's a statistical outlier... and it adds up over time. The question is: why is it occurring?

As for you GKD, you're attempts at trolling are becoming as vacant as a Danaerys Targarean 6-second stare; as impotent as an army of Unsullied.

We're gonna have to change your name to Greyworm :D

God-King Dean

Immortal
it's a statistical outlier... And it adds up over time. The question is: Why is it occurring?

As for you gkd, you're attempts at trolling are becoming as vacant as a danaerys targarean 6-second stare; as impotent as an army of unsullied.

We're gonna have to change your name to greyworm :d

r+l=j

God-King Dean

Immortal
All those penalties were bullshit.

It was the refs fault JWH holds down, puts his hand on ball, stays on the players while looking at the refs, high highs.

Don't worry about the tackle where he was standing 1 metre in front of the ref, he was obviously blinded by the sun.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Even their biggest cheerleader Gus Gould had to mention all the forward passes they got away with. Yes of course I am biased but no fair person can think the refs were against Easts tonight.

Tommy Smith

Referee
The refs were brilliant today. They let the game flow and we were rewarded with a fabulous match.

No doubt we got away with a lot of forward passes though. We need Friend back to compete with Souths.

Danish

Referee
A perfect example of tip sheets refereeing was on display today. Hargreaves penalised for burgess dropping the ball from the kick off, while Glen Stewart was rewarded for doing the same thing against
Tupou.

Both were just strong tacklers attacking the ball on the ground, and the ball runner dropping the ball with a loose carry. Only 1 resulted in a penalty because of the rep of he man making the tackle