What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter Sterling

Pigskin

Juniors
Sterling was certainly one of the best halfbacks I have seen

difficult to separate Langer, Mortimer, Sterling, Johns and I'd even throw Alexander into the mix although he probly isn't as highly decorated as the others but had enormous talent

I still reckon Sterlo will wake up one morning and decide he is sick of being a dill on TV and will have a crack at coaching before its too late

and I reckon he'd be a genius coach

Oink !

Hightown Tiger

Juniors
Booyah said:
Hightown Tiger said:
I'm just reading his autobiography, and he's not really the type of player you hear classed as a legend alongside the likes of Boston, Meninga, Bevan etc.

I'd like to know, as a player how was he rated (I'm sure nospam49 will have an opinion on him). Was he really the greatest Australian Half-back of all time as a reporter once said?

I've only followed rugby league since 1997, and although I've read up on Castlefords (glorious?) past, I still have a bit of learning to do when it comes to past Aussie players

Thanks in advance 8)

How is his autobiography?

I bought it a few weeks ago and only got as far as chapter 3 before I accidently left it on the car roof and drove off. :oops:

It's pretty good, I'm half way through and he's as honest as can be. I'd put it on a par with Malcolm Reilly's autobiography.

Interesting that he says he didn't have any problem with Malcolm Reilly, despite the fact he was almost blinded by big Mal!

I'd offer to lend you it but seen as your based in Sydney and I'm in sunny Cas it could be difficult :)

innsaneink

Referee
He seemed to know what was going to happen on the 4th or 5th tackle when it was only the 1st or 2nd.....was able to read a game brilliantly.

As has been mentioned not the quickest but a great kicking game and passing was spot on....he and Bert were just magicians it seemed.

He still had the talent to read a game when he started commentating as well....quite often I'd be watching a game he was co-calling and he'd say the team should do this or that and many many times he was spot on.

I dunno why....but just recently he seems to come across as a bit arrogant and up himself...like he's been hanging round with Ricky Stuart...just an observation.

Macca

Coach
Johns is more valuable to his team. He doesn't need champions around him to make a difference. No one can or ever could read the game like Sterlo could. He was a magician. When the champions in his side started retiring or moving on he became less effective.

He was one of the best though.

nqboy

First Grade
McSharkie said:
...When the champions in his side started retiring or moving on he became less effective.

You're kidding. He carried that side for years after the champions were gone. Parra in the late 80's had a whole lot less talent than Johns has with him at Newcastle.

JJ

Immortal
Sterlo is with Johns, the best half I've seen. Johns is probably the more complete player - but Sterlo is an all-time great. He certainly wouldn't have been out of place if he was slected as an immortal ahead of Beetson. I assume they expand that group, and I'd slect him before the likes of Meninga.

In fact, he's done more at club, origin and international level than Johns, so it's easy to make an argument that he was the better player - absolute champion, who should have had a go at coaching, his ability to read a game was second to none

eelandia

Juniors
Don't know if anyone remembers this, but Sterlo used to put some sort of back-spin on his grubbers into the in goal. They'd look too strong but at the last moment would pull up, ready for Kenny and Co to pounce.

What a backline: Sterling passes to Kenny who slices through and Kenny gives it to Ella and onto Grothe who bulldozes the opposition to score. Ah - the memories.

Saint 60

Juniors
Remembers artie played for Parra also ---
Peard was the kicker in bombs and stuff during the early Sterlo days...
he would of taught Sterlo id reckon....

but go back just before Sterlo - a couple of Champions....
Tommy Radonikis (Spelling, lol) and Billy Smith.......

now they were some players.....hard as concrete
halves also....

Mortimer was in there also...used to be a good challenge between Mortimer, Sterling and Stevie Morris for the halve spot for Aus... :lol: i thin Haystings and Hassler were in their also

no wonder weve kicked the crap outa the poms for the last trillion years :lol:

heheheh

parra-matters said:
Yeah Sterlo did it twice once in 1986 and the other a year or two later in a losing team.

I can guarantee you he did it in 1987. he single handedly beat the Roosters at Parra stadium 32-2. he scored 3 and had a hand in every other one bar the Grothe runaway. Was one of the finest individual efforts from a player I have seen on a footy field.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
JJ said:
Sterlo is with Johns, the best half I've seen. Johns is probably the more complete player - but Sterlo is an all-time great. He certainly wouldn't have been out of place if he was slected as an immortal ahead of Beetson. I assume they expand that group, and I'd slect him before the likes of Meninga.

In fact, he's done more at club, origin and international level than Johns, so it's easy to make an argument that he was the better player - absolute champion, who should have had a go at coaching, his ability to read a game was second to none

He should be Parramatta coach, but the pay cut would be enormous!

Red Bear

Referee
From what ive seen Stuart was better than Langer. Johns is a brilliant player to. I cant really coment on Sterling tho as i have barely seen him play(maybe one game?)

TRANSLATION

Juniors
thuganomics said:
Johns
Sterling

Thats the 1st to.
Stirling is a dead set genious on the field. I think Johns just had that little edge over him.

I agree with this post, Johns could do it all at the very best.

Best Defensive, Attacking Kicking halfback, I have ever seen play the game.

Stuart was a clever kicker and a competitor, but he woould not rate in the top 30 halfbacks of all time IMHO.

Langer , Steve Mortimer, Kevin Hastings, Billy Smith are just some of the past champions.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Stgillaman said:
thuganomics said:
Johns
Sterling

Thats the 1st to.
Stirling is a dead set genious on the field. I think Johns just had that little edge over him.

I agree with this post, Johns could do it all at the very best.

Best Defensive, Attacking Kicking halfback, I have ever seen play the game.

Stuart was a clever kicker and a competitor, but he woould not rate in the top 30 halfbacks of all time IMHO.

Langer , Steve Mortimer, Kevin Hastings, Billy Smith are just some of the past champions.

If we were being accurate in on field ability and achievements the list would go:

1st. Sterling

3rd or 4th. Johns

Latest posts