What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plans afoot to bring a New York club into Super League

Golden point

Juniors
I think everyone needs to think of this as the way towards a professional north American comp. You can't just say hay presto, I have 8 teams in 8 cities with 8 rosters and 8 millionairs in 1 year ... now go and attend this great overnight sensation. I think if they can get mabe 4 pro clubs up and running then they could make a leap for 6 or 8 with enough interest...... IN 2025!

you heard it here first.

Stallion

First Grade
I think everyone needs to think of this as the way towards a professional north American comp. You can't just say hay presto, I have 8 teams in 8 cities with 8 rosters and 8 millionairs in 1 year ... now go and attend this great overnight sensation. I think if they can get mabe 4 pro clubs up and running then they could make a leap for 6 or 8 with enough interest...... IN 2025!

you heard it here first.

All good. Positive thinking with entrepreneurial vigour. And the main benefactor is the code of rugby league and sport for that matter! This is long overdue for rugby league and the code will shine to genuine and deserving growth.

roughyedspud

Coach
Wolfpack have proved it!? Can't see why not! Good luck to them! All power to these pioneers! Long overdue progress!

Toronto proved it with a team full of Englishmen..

We learned a decade ago that having a Welsh team in super league,with zero Welshmen,does nothing for Welsh RL...

imposed a 10 player domestic rule per squad and watch them struggle

Stallion

First Grade

We learned a decade ago that having a Welsh team in super league,with zero Welshmen,does nothing for Welsh RL...

Good luck to them. Got to start somewhere? Given that most school systems don't encourage /have rugby league the game needs to show itself to the public. And the Toronto Wolfpack are doing that with success. Credit to them!

Golden point

Juniors

Stay negative, good for you.
Meanwhile the rest of the rugby league world celebrates as we will possibly have a team in what most consider the greatest city on the planet! And to top it off it will be pushed by a few millionairs that will ensure that it gets the promotion and exposure it needs to succeed. Yeahhhh! Wooohooo!

roughyedspud

Coach
What's negative about wanting the millions being spent on Toronto & NYC to be spent on having a pro north American league instead?

What's negative about wanting the millions being spent on Toronto & NYC to be spent on having a pro north American league instead?

Because the millions being spent on Toronto and New York will not be enough to establish a professional league in the USA or North America. That task, with just 10 clubs, would cost at least $100 million a year, not $20 million a year.

In addition there are barely enough professional players for 2 north American clubs now. 4 clubs would be a stretch.. 10 clubs would be impossible.

Possible North American League:

Toronto
Montreal
New York
Boston
Philadelphia
Jacksonville
Chicago
Houston
Denver
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

You will have no chance of seeing that before 2026 at the earliest (after the 2025 World Cup is played in north America). And that would still require a successful, nationally televised World Cup, leading to an outpouring of interested owners and sponsors, as well as potential players..

Golden point

Juniors
Whatever

Toronto
Montreal
New York
Boston
Philadelphia
Jacksonville
Chicago
Houston
Denver
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

You will have no chance of seeing that before 2026 at the earliest (after the 2025 World Cup is played in north America). And that would still require a successful, nationally televised World Cup, leading to an outpouring of interested owners and sponsors, as well as potential players..
Well i think an 8 team league first off

Toronto
Montreal
New York
Boston
Philadelphia
Jacksonville
Chicago
Houston
Denver
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

1 club at a time is great...that requires a lot of promoting! Imagine trying to promote an entire comp at once.... instant fail.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Because taking the money needed to fund just one team and spreading it across 12 will just give us 12 shitty teams....

On the other hand, a single team in SL will garner support and grab attention, which will then bring in MORE money. Do this with a second, third and fourth team, at which point there might be enough local interest to create an independent comp.

Having said that, if the Trans-Atlantic thing works well enough to get to this point, why change it? Create an American Division to make the most of the local derbies, them have a combined play off. The combined comp gives the US teams legitimacy to say they are competitive in one of the best RL comps in the world and it will make this single comp very wealthy (probably wealthy enough to scare the ARLC and clubs off their asses and back into the early-90s expansion mode)

roughyedspud

Coach
Because taking the money needed to fund just one team and spreading it across 12 will just give us 12 shitty teams....

On the other hand, a single team in SL will garner support and grab attention, which will then bring in MORE money. Do this with a second, third and fourth team, at which point there might be enough local interest to create an independent comp.

Oh like what happened with the Celtic crusaders?? How did that work out??

Exactly!

There's more than enough millionaires and billionaires in North American to invest in a 8 team,2canadian & 6 American clubs,north American league..if Eric Perez wants to impress..go do that!

Golden point

Juniors

Exactly!

There's more than enough millionaires and billionaires in North American to invest in a 8 team,2canadian & 6 American clubs,north American league..if Eric Perez wants to impress..go do that!
Quick round up all the billionaires! Let's get this party started!

Stop trolling- you're embarrassing yourself or at least start thinking of a new user name.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Exactly!

So if one big teams fails, why would 12 shitty teams do any better?

Stallion

First Grade
So if one big teams fails, why would 12 shitty teams do any better?

In rugby league's curcumstance its different. Given that the game doesnt have establishment propagation of the code like union, rugby league must get the message out there in as much a high profile way as possible. The strategy involved with the Toronto Wolfpack and hopefully the New York club will sew seeds of attraction that otherwise would not have eventuated under the current way things are for rugby league with respects to a lack of presence in schools and universities etc. Its about the only way this great code can get itself noticed and out there. Its basically circumventing a system that doesnt propagate rugby league and saying "Here I am! What do you think? If you like me join the fun!"

Last edited:

roughyedspud

Coach
Quick round up all the billionaires! Let's get this party started!

Stop trolling- you're embarrassing yourself or at least start thinking of a new user name.

Trolling?? Shut up you frigging idiot..you barely have 300 posts !!

Go research how arena football league or the national lacrosse league was set up! Especially the NLL!

Eric perez has already, apparently,shown he's able to drum up enough interest,somewhere upwards of $15-20m, to invest in Toronto and NYC,if he is involved in NYC?,that to me shows there's potential in other cities too.....and theres a north American "super league"...that's the future! Not having Toronto & NYC in the English system!

Last edited:

Golden point

Juniors
Trolling?? Shut up you frigging idiot..you barely have 300 posts !!

Go research how arena football league or the national lacrosse league was set up! Especially the NLL!

Eric perez has already, apparently,shown he's able to drum up enough interest,somewhere upwards of $15-20m, to invest in Toronto and NYC,if he is involved in NYC?,that to me shows there's potential in other cities too.....and theres a north American "super league"...that's the future! Not having Toronto & NYC in the English system!
Troll

Latest posts