What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player in Focus

Nutz

Bench
I haven't followed the junior side of things as much as I should have, do we have many Balmain juniors in our squad, that you're aware of?
Brooks was? Nofo?
Alex Seyfarth was a Dundas Shamrocks junior [Balmain district]

Tumeth played his junior rugby league for the Concord-Burwood Wolves. He also played for Holy Cross in the NRL Schoolboys Cup.
After playing in the junior representative competitions with the Balmain Tigers as captain of the S. G. Ball Cup team in 2021, he would represent City in an Under 18s representative match against Country in 2021.

The Balmain SG Ball squad for this year....good luck picking out the jewels out of this list ha ha.

Balmain Tigers
Cameron Kanaan, Adam Mesliamani, Aiden Harb, Archie Riley, Callan Phillips, Chad Daniels, Charlbel Khoury, Charles Afeaki, Charles Manapori-Reu, Christian Lopez, Christian Moussa, Christian Taula, Cooper Frain, Cooper Henderson, Cooper Petterson, Cooper Rauhihi, Dougie Tuala, Edwan Langi, Gabe Stuart, Hosea Kedzlie, Ilai Esau, Jacob Sedrak, Jake Fulton, Jared Haywood, Jekope Sovau, Jesse Featherstone, Joey Raad, John Paul Kawtal, Jonah Watson, Jordan Bunt, Josh Bridgette, Josh Curl, Keanu Prince, Keenan Lawandos, Kian Edmed, Latrell Toby-Smith, Malik Amine, Marc Tannous, Mase Karhani, Massimo Maestrale, Matt Aitchison, Mikael Ibrahim, Nelson Solo, Oliver Farrugia, Riley Watson-Miletic, Sam Schmitzer, Tery Ballis, Tyreece Arama, Velangi Otahaha, Xavier Tauigaga, Zach Hayek, Zaid Lehn. Coach: Chris Yates

Last year had the Feledy boys, see link below

Last edited:

Tiger Ted

Bench
I haven't followed the junior side of things as much as I should have, do we have many Balmain juniors in our squad, that you're aware of?
Brooks was? Nofo?
Nofo is wests.
In addition to Seyfarth AD is also Balmain & played for shamrocks at the same time papenhuyzen was there.

Tiger Ted

Bench

Tumeth played his junior rugby league for the Concord-Burwood Wolves. He also played for Holy Cross in the NRL Schoolboys Cup.
After playing in the junior representative competitions with the Balmain Tigers as captain of the S. G. Ball Cup team in 2021, he would represent City in an Under 18s representative match against Country in 2021.

The Balmain SG Ball squad for this year....good luck picking out the jewels out of this list ha ha.

Balmain Tigers
Cameron Kanaan, Adam Mesliamani, Aiden Harb, Archie Riley, Callan Phillips, Chad Daniels, Charlbel Khoury, Charles Afeaki, Charles Manapori-Reu, Christian Lopez, Christian Moussa, Christian Taula, Cooper Frain, Cooper Henderson, Cooper Petterson, Cooper Rauhihi, Dougie Tuala, Edwan Langi, Gabe Stuart, Hosea Kedzlie, Ilai Esau, Jacob Sedrak, Jake Fulton, Jared Haywood, Jekope Sovau, Jesse Featherstone, Joey Raad, John Paul Kawtal, Jonah Watson, Jordan Bunt, Josh Bridgette, Josh Curl, Keanu Prince, Keenan Lawandos, Kian Edmed, Latrell Toby-Smith, Malik Amine, Marc Tannous, Mase Karhani, Massimo Maestrale, Matt Aitchison, Mikael Ibrahim, Nelson Solo, Oliver Farrugia, Riley Watson-Miletic, Sam Schmitzer, Tery Ballis, Tyreece Arama, Velangi Otahaha, Xavier Tauigaga, Zach Hayek, Zaid Lehn. Coach: Chris Yates

Im hearing from a good source who coaches in the Balmain juniors that the sg ball squad this year are shite.In contrast wests should b very competitive.

Balmain Tigers

I grew up in Carlingford and it always surprised me that Dundas was Tiger territory; you could roll down Kissing Point Rd and end up in Parra.

Does anyone know why Dundas ended up in the Balmain junior league?

Nutz

Bench
I grew up in Carlingford and it always surprised me that Dundas was Tiger territory; you could roll down Kissing Point Rd and end up in Parra.

Does anyone know why Dundas ended up in the Balmain junior league?
The Dundas Shamrocks Junior Rugby League Football Club was formed in 1964 as an attachment to St Patrick's Marist College Dundas' sports auxiliary for weekend rugby league within the Balmain Junior Rugby League competition. In the mid-1990s the school sports auxiliary ceased to exist and the club was rechristened the Dundas Shamrocks. The club has been a member of the Balmain Junior Rugby League since its inception in the 1960s and provides teams for age groups from under 6's to A-Grade. The club headquarters are located at the St Patrick's Marist College Dundas, on the corner of Kissing Point Road and Kirby Street, Dundas. The ground boasts some of the most magnificent fields within the Balmain Junior Rugby League and has excellent canteen and change room facilities. The Shamrocks club primarily draws players from the following suburbs: Ermington, Rydalmere, Dundas, Oatlands, North Parramatta, Silverwater, Eastwood, Carlingford, North Rocks, West Ryde and Merrylands.
My guess is that Parramatta were either sitting on their hands or hated the Irish so they gave Dundas the flick. Ha ha.

Balmain includes the suburbs and localities of Annandale, Balmain, Balmain East, Birchgrove, Forest Lodge, Glebe, Glebe Island, Leichhardt, Lilyfield, Rozelle, White Bay and parts of Camperdown and Ultimo.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
Yeah, if your halves are garbage it's hard for your centres and wingers to capitalise but they were pretty ordinary so I am hopeful that the change in halves will improve the centres and wingers.
I used to play centre and as you said, a good ½/-⅝ can make or break your game. If I played a club game I would find I would get tackled more because of average service and variety but when I played a rep game I was running more because the ½ gave quick service and had a good kicking game.
The point is, and this is evident in SOO and Aust games, the better the halves the higher the std of game there is.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Im hearing from a good source who coaches in the Balmain juniors that the sg ball squad this year are shite.In contrast wests should b very competitive.

Balmain lost their 2 best players from the 23 Ball side. Conti to Dogs and Kaanan to Easts. Realistically a district the size of Balmains will always struggle in these comps, however over the years they've punched above their weight and produced a good amount of first graders. Moses, Brooks, Doueihi, Sironenx2, N Brown, Papenhuyzen, Illias, Tatola, Suli etc. If Balmain can produce one or two first graders from their lower grades every couple of years they've done thier job.

Vic Mackey

Referee

Balmain Tigers

I know the highlighted two have done pre season with first grade. Lawandos looks really good. Big, mobile back rower. Tannous is a half, his older bro was better then him and he didnt make it (did his ACL straight after missing 18 months from Covid) so wouldnt expect much there.

Nutz

Bench
I know the highlighted two have done pre season with first grade. Lawandos looks really good. Big, mobile back rower. Tannous is a half, his older bro was better then him and he didnt make it (did his ACL straight after missing 18 months from Covid) so wouldnt expect much there.
ACL's seem to be the curse of the modern day footballer.
Straight out of a physiotherapist handbook it says...

"It’s [ACL]most commonly torn during sports that involve impact to the knee, sudden stops and changes in direction."

I'm sure it didn't happen that much years ago.
The only big difference between the two eras is there is more stand and deliver stuff these days. More grappling and wrestling whilst standing upright. All the twisting could cause it but the reasons above have always been in the game.
Interesting...
59810676d565580f49cdfd44f669026a.jpg

Tiger Ted

Bench
Balmain lost their 2 best players from the 23 Ball side. Conti to Dogs and Kaanan to Easts. Realistically a district the size of Balmains will always struggle in these comps, however over the years they've punched above their weight and produced a good amount of first graders. Moses, Brooks, Doueihi, Sironenx2, N Brown, Papenhuyzen, Illias, Tatola, Suli etc. If Balmain can produce one or two first graders from their lower grades every couple of years they've done thier job.
Conti wanted the same money as Tallyn de Silva & WT did what I believe was the right thing & let him go.TDS is in a different stratosphere & will b our long term 9 in the NRL.Good luck to Conti but we’ve got better halves in our system.

Tiger Ted

Bench
I’d luv to see Tannous make it as I grew up
with a lot of his relatives however objectively speaking it will b difficult

Tiger Ted

Bench
ACL's seem to be the curse of the modern day footballer.
Straight out of a physiotherapist handbook it says...

"It’s [ACL]most commonly torn during sports that involve impact to the knee, sudden stops and changes in direction."

I'm sure it didn't happen that much years ago.
The only big difference between the two eras is there is more stand and deliver stuff these days. More grappling and wrestling whilst standing upright. All the twisting could cause it but the reasons above have always been in the game.
Interesting...
View attachment 83506
Netball has 1 of the highest incidence of ACL tears

Tigerm

First Grade
I used to play centre and as you said, a good ½/-⅝ can make or break your game. If I played a club game I would find I would get tackled more because of average service and variety but when I played a rep game I was running more because the ½ gave quick service and had a good kicking game.
The point is, and this is evident in SOO and Aust games, the better the halves the higher the std of game there is.
But, the better the defence hahaha

Vic Mackey

Referee
I’d luv to see Tannous make it as I grew up
with a lot of his relatives however objectively speaking it will b difficult

leagues full of hard luck stories, however I do think if Covid didn’t happen followed by his ACL then Mickey is a great chance of becoming an NRL player. Who knows, one day he still might, however losing 2 and a half years of development at the ages of 18-21 are going to kill any spine players chances of moving up the ranks

Balmain Tigers

Good to see another Edmed stick with the Tigers and not follow his older brother over to the 15 a side game.

Nutz

Bench
It’s the off season Nutz, test cricket for me. Come the middle of January I do start thinking of league.

Have jumped on here a few times and got bored with the Panther /Tiger dribble, too much like who’s got the bigger dick for me.
Australia's biggest problem is they are too good.
Finishing a test match in 3 days must cost the AC heaps in revenue.

Latest posts