What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player named in Bulldog drug scandal: Willie Mason.

ibeme

First Grade
Glenn said:
As mentioned Willie says he is innocent, and the Bulldogs can't confirm or deny that, really is a great way to stand by your players :roll:

By confirming it, they're breaching the workplace agreement.

By denying it, they're lying.

That's what it comes down to. Therefore they can't confirm or deny it.

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
and to think, at a bulldogs game last year, all the kids wear mason paper masks, not exactly the greatest role model you can have at the moment. :?

If you wanna hang out you've got to take her out, cocaine
If you wanna get down, down on the ground, cocaine

She don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie, cocaine.

If you got bad news, you wanna kick them blues, cocaine.
When your day is done and you wanna run, cocaine.

If your thing is gone and you wanna ride on, cocaine.
Don't forget this fact, you can't get it back, cocaine.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
We can move around now
You know it's so good
But I know you wouldn't come clean now,baby
Even if you could

Because, nospam29 (nospam29)
I'm the one deciever
nospam29, yeah
Take me away from you

Just come to me babe
We can stay right here
But you don't remember all the lines of blow
You've done this year

I said nospam29 (nospam29)
I'm the one deciever (We're gonna make you a dreamer)
nospam29, yeah
Take me away from you (It's a slow death)

Bye, bye, bye baby
'cuz here I come
Won't get to sleep tonight
Because the white lines turn me on

nospam29
We're gonna make a dreamer (Made me a believer)
nospam29, yeah
It's a slow death (It hasn't killed my yet)

Oh !

Silly move, but in the grander scheme of things, not that uncommon.

I think what is really concerning here is the fact that this has been leaked from a club already under siege for other off field indiscretions and was leaked from a workplace agreement.

Don't look for Willie to be suing any newspapers...look for him to sue the club for not fulfilling their side of a legal agreement.

Mind you, if he is silly enough to be doing coke and running the risk, he should pay the consequences, whatever they end up being

innsaneink

Referee
Seriously...just get rid of the entire club. Kick em out!
Theyve dragged our game thru enough sh!t.
The innocent players will have no trouble finding
new employment.

Theyre sitting atop the ladder.
Be a good look if theyre still there in Oct. :roll:

JK

Never had that trouble with the Tigers though - they were so far down the ladder they were irrelevant.

***MH***

Bench
conspiracy?!? the fact that this incident supposedly happened in november and the newspapers decided to leak it now, sounds a bit sus...
and who is this (senior league official) that the papers claim that this info came from? it could have been tommy radonikous for all we know!
i will not believe what the newspapers write until they name their "credible source".....

zulu

Juniors
I was just listening to the beginning of that excellent afternoon sports/league show on 2SM and they interviewed that Magney horror from the SMH.

She reckons the drug in question was definitely NOT cocaine, but an unamed amphetamine.

So looks like Willie was right when he denied he'd tested poitive to coke.

Glennb

Juniors
sullyfan said:
Can't Willie just do the right thing and show remorse over the drugs issue? The club and it's players must start accepting responsibility when things go wrong instead of blaming the media and others. :x

Exactly....cant get past comparing this incident and the way Bulldogs & Mason are handling it compared to the public humiliation and punishment adn genuine remorse that Craig Field and particularly Kevin McGuinness went through.

Bloody disgrace. McGuinness & Field were caught in the off season and banned....Bulldogs obviously think they are different and the laws of the NRL and the State of NSW don't apply to them.

2 rape allegations, Salary Cap Rorting, The Oasis scandal currently going through ICAC, Drug Use.......what else?

Glenn b

Glennb

Juniors
sullyfan said:
Can't Willie just do the right thing and show remorse over the drugs issue? The club and it's players must start accepting responsibility when things go wrong instead of blaming the media and others. :x

Exactly....cant get past comparing this incident and the way Bulldogs & Mason are handling it compared to the public humiliation and punishment adn genuine remorse that Craig Field and particularly Kevin McGuinness went through.

Bloody disgrace. McGuinness & Field were caught in the off season and banned....Bulldogs obviously think they are different and the laws of the NRL and the State of NSW don't apply to them.

2 rape allegations, Salary Cap Rorting, The Oasis scandal currently going through ICAC, Drug Use.......what else?

Glenn b

The General

Juniors
I in no way condone the taking of recreational drugs but to all those bagging the Bulldogs over this scandal let me ask you a question. Would you want to see clubs do no internal testing and hope the NRL catches guys who take recreational drugs (which is highly unlikely due to the drug not being in the system for very long). Some clubs are currently taking this option.

Or would you rather see clubs go the way of the Bulldogs and do their own internal testing with a confidentiality agreement that player names won't be released if they are found guilty. That way if they are found guilty they can be punished by the club ($25,000 is a hell of a lot of money even for a footy player and probably more than what they would pay if they were caught by the cops) and rehabilited/educated about the use of drugs ??

ozbash

Referee
i see what you mean general but isnt that likened to the bulldogs creating a law unto themselves ?
i assume in australia the use of coke is illegal ?
its also a no-no as far as the nrl is concerned.

i think that if a player turns up positive the clubs first responsibility is to the law of the land,, the organisation it represents, then to itself and the player concerned.
very poor form imo.

The General

Juniors
I see your point ozbash but the thing is the internal testing by clubs is only approved by players because the results are guaranteed to remain confidential. In no way are these tests forced upon players and I doubt many of them would agree to the tests if it wasn't this way (because let's face it, whether we like it or not recreational drugs are becoming more of a part of society, especially the upper class.) So what other option do the Bulldogs have ?

Glennb

Juniors
My main problem with the drug taking incident is that two NRL players can be found guilt of the same offence and the penalty for those two players and their clubs are poles apart. One player was fined a quarter of his contract and banned for six months, the other was fined about a tenth of his contract and didnt miss a game.

One club was without two of their best players for a whole season, the other club isnt disadvantaged at all. The inequity is staggering.

Wayne Bennets comment the other day was (as usual) spot on and has even more relevance after the Bulldogs drug scandal has surfaced. All players should be contracted directly to the NRL so that clubs self interest and lack of standards can not disadvantage the game.

These guys are adults. The fact that one of them took illegal drugs is not necessarily a reflection on the Club, they can't hold their hands 12 months of the year. The way the club covered it up and continues to do so speak volumes of the clubs culture IMHO.

Glenn B

The General said:
I in no way condone the taking of recreational drugs but to all those bagging the Bulldogs over this scandal let me ask you a question. Would you want to see clubs do no internal testing and hope the NRL catches guys who take recreational drugs (which is highly unlikely due to the drug not being in the system for very long). Some clubs are currently taking this option.

Or would you rather see clubs go the way of the Bulldogs and do their own internal testing with a confidentiality agreement that player names won't be released if they are found guilty. That way if they are found guilty they can be punished by the club ($25,000 is a hell of a lot of money even for a footy player and probably more than what they would pay if they were caught by the cops) and rehabilited/educated about the use of drugs ??

Once Dead

Bench
JK said:
Never had that trouble with the Tigers though - they were so far down the ladder they were irrelevant.

Yawn....yawn, yawn......at least Wests and Balmain respectively, did not stab rugby league in the back and sow the seeds of this current mess by signing with Super League unlike THE BULLDOGS who had forsaken their heritage and history by chopping off the Canterbury-Bankstown/Canterbury from the front of their name......btw-i think that you'll find that the Tigers weren't even able to rort the salary cap aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand NEVER tried to hide things and sweep them under the carpet when it came to players found using illegal substances - neither did they try to blame it on certain people NOR allowed the players to get bigger than the club itself

The General

Juniors
I agree players should be contracted by the NRL, but the thing is they currently arn't. Therefore the only other option the Bulldogs have is to scrap internal testing altogether and hope the NRL tests find something. At least this way the player is copping some sort of punishment and getting some education which will hopefully be a deterrant for the future.

Hurriflatch

Referee
In theory the Bulldogs system works but a lot of other things work in theory but fail in practice.

Take Schifcofske he admitted to taking a banned drug and stood himself (orvthe club may have stood him down not 100% sure) for 8 weeks.

rather then fine him $25,000 had the Bulldogs stood down Mason for x number of weeks for disaplanry reasons then I think more people would have been less annoyed as this is now yet another Bulldog cover up and quite frankly people are getting sick of it.

Latest posts