What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players constantly touted as being 'Made for Origin'

proto

Juniors
Am i the only one who continually has a laugh when parts of rugby league media constantly throw out their 'made for origin' crap with certain players that are completely undeserving.

The quotes i constantly hear like 'Oh he's a big bopper mate' and 'Mate...he's just made for origin' for guys like David Klemmer and now even Tyson Frizell are hilarious.

It also seems if one journalist picks a player in their 17, every other one seems to jump on board and run with him too for fear of bucking the stupid trend of...being 'Made for Origin'

ellskimore

Juniors
I also tire of it. However in saying that I don't think Klemmer or Frizell would look out of place at all.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
until the NRL allow genetic engineering, i will not accept the term "made for origin" be applied to any player.

unless of course, that person was a direct product of two former origin players. i'll leave that one up to your imagination.

Problem with some of the players the epithet gets thrown at is that the only thing they have going for them is niggle (e.g. Michael Ennis).

Iafeta

Referee
Its the same as Channel Nein's constant "he's the best at all time in his position", that they trot out for the current Australian incumbent of each generation. PArticularly for halfbacks, fullbacks or hookers.

Butto

Juniors
Now that the brutality has been taken out of the game I don't think it applies. In the past guys like Paul harragon / wally Lewis were made for origin.

Incorrect

Coach
Yeah "made for Origin" has become an annoying turn of phrase... much like Matty Johns and his constant use of the oh so descriptive phrase "some sort" - Every other sentence out of his mouth - "Geez I tell you what boys he's some sort of player", or "it's going to be some sort of game this one fella's"

Butto

Juniors
Can run in and push with the best . Even Ben Creagh would possibly be safe now boing he wouldn't get hit.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
Nearly as bad a hearing "it's not his go " whenever billy slater and his fellow merry men execute their regular grubbery

Usain Bolt

Bench
Joey Johns is the worst on the Sunday Footy Show with his "he'll play origin in the future" about any young player who has a good game

The Partisan

Yes would be refreshing to hear someone say something ......

" Well Ben/Paul/Sterlo/Fatty/Brad/Matty/Joey etc.....no, i think you're pushing a player who realistically is no chance for Origin this year. Perhaps if improves his ( insert skill requirement) and maintains form, he'd be 'in the mix' ..........with the 93 other players you've got in the 'mix''

No-one wants to say X player is no chance.

yawn

Juniors
Anyone bald, tattooed, ginger or with a serious face; they talk about it.

It's like pro wrestling this "made stuff"; they don't pick the most talented wrestler to talk about. They just promote teh guy with the tough guy vibe.

Latest posts