What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players playing all three grades on the same day

T-Boon

Coach
With lower grades dumped from the program next season....any stories of players that played all three grades on the same day?

I think I saw David Penna (scored 5 in under 23s then a few in the top grades) and maybe Jason Bell achieve that impressive feat for Parra early 90s.

Life's Good

Coach
Chris Guider - played all three grade Grand Finals for the Dragons in 1985 for 2 wins and 1 loss(first grade unfortunately).

Bloke

Juniors
The last player I personally recall seeing play multiple grades on the same day was Wendell Sailor. Remember him playing fullback in Reserve Grade and then wore the #42 jersey in first grade at ANZ in '94 against Parra.

siv

First Grade
Still see many times of a player playing on a FG bench then taking part in a RG or ISP match the following day

But it pretty much died once we brought in the rule that allowed for 4 fresh interchanges - mainly for interstate teams in 1995

T-Boon

Coach
But it pretty much died once we brought in the rule that allowed for 4 fresh interchanges - mainly for interstate teams in 1995

Before that what was the rule? The bench HAD to play lower grades?

Bloke

Juniors
From memory, I think that was the case. The original super-sub himself Johnny Plath used to play a full game in the Reggies, have half a pack of durries between games, and then be on the Broncos bench back in the day.

unforgiven

Bench
History of the replacement/interchange rule
In 1963 Teams were allowed to replace a maximum of two injured players during the first half of a match and including halftime

In 1970 Two injured players were allowed to be replaced at any time during a game, provided that the replacements had played at least half of a lower-grade game that day

In 1981 Four replacements of players on the field are allowed during matches

In 1988 Two fresh replacements were now allowed, previously they had had to have played in a lower-grade game earlier.

The interchange rule was introduced in 1991, it allowed four players, consisting of up to two fresh reserves and a minimum of two players who had played half a game of the preceding Reserve Grade or President's Cup, unlimited interchanges during a match. The rule's main purpose was to reduce the risk of blood-borne diseases being spread but an angry public reaction forced a modification in April. The rule changed to allow a total of four players to be available for a maximum of six interchanges during a match.Players sent to the ‘blood-bin' would not count among these six interchanges.

In 1996 unlimited interchange was reintroduced.

Limited interchanges were reintroduced in 2001 capped at 12

In 2008 The maximum number of interchanges that could be made from a pool of four replacements was reduced from 12 to 10

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
No problem, I find the history of the rules interesting, yep I'm a nerd

I read the other day there used to be a rule that if the dummy half was caught with the ball it resulted in a scrum. Lasted a year and they got rid of it. I'd be interested to know why they got rid of it.

unforgiven

Bench
I read the other day there used to be a rule that if the dummy half was caught with the ball it resulted in a scrum. Lasted a year and they got rid of it. I'd be interested to know why they got rid of it.

Was introduced for the 1961 season to reduce the impact that constant dummy half running was having on the game. The rule was repealed for the 1963 season.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
It wasn't unusual for players playing in 2 grades in one day but you would have the odd 3 games in one day. Just recently Matty Johns told a story of how he played Presidents Cup then reserve grade, then got a shock call to first grade after 2 meat pies and 2 pepsi's.

That rule in 1991 would've only lasted a few months cause I think there was a game would there would be around 40 changes. Now we only require 8 or 10 for both sides.

unforgiven

Bench
It wasn't unusual for players playing in 2 grades in one day but you would have the odd 3 games in one day. Just recently Matty Johns told a story of how he played Presidents Cup then reserve grade, then got a shock call to first grade after 2 meat pies and 2 pepsi's.

That rule in 1991 would've only lasted a few months cause I think there was a game would there would be around 40 changes. Now we only require 8 or 10 for both sides.

It only lasted a couple of rounds

rupertpupkin

Juniors
History of the replacement/interchange rule
In 1963 Teams were allowed to replace a maximum of two injured players during the first half of a match and including halftime

In 1970 Two injured players were allowed to be replaced at any time during a game, provided that the replacements had played at least half of a lower-grade game that day

In 1981 Four replacements of players on the field are allowed during matches

In 1988 Two fresh replacements were now allowed, previously they had had to have played in a lower-grade game earlier.

The interchange rule was introduced in 1991, it allowed four players, consisting of up to two fresh reserves and a minimum of two players who had played half a game of the preceding Reserve Grade or President's Cup, unlimited interchanges during a match. The rule's main purpose was to reduce the risk of blood-borne diseases being spread but an angry public reaction forced a modification in April. The rule changed to allow a total of four players to be available for a maximum of six interchanges during a match.Players sent to the ‘blood-bin' would not count among these six interchanges.

In 1996 unlimited interchange was reintroduced.

Limited interchanges were reintroduced in 2001 capped at 12

In 2008 The maximum number of interchanges that could be made from a pool of four replacements was reduced from 12 to 10

Interesting. I played in the 70's and yeah, you had to play lower grades to be on the bench. Did 3 grades, not always, but sometimes... starting or from the bench. I recall the coaches ensuring only doing half games sometimes, so I would have enough puff for the subsequent games that followed. What is odd is that I don't remember the injury bit. I'd usually go on when the coach required a lot of tackling at whatever stage. Perhaps "tired" was loosely interpreted as "injured". As in... "You're "injured". Limp a bit when you come off." I remember it more often being a tactical replacement by the coach, than a forced injury one. Dunno. Maybe there were many more injuries than I recall... which is entirely possible.

Last edited:

kdalymc

Bench
So did the a grade eam just rock with 13 players? Surely not.?

Aw they would pick 13 (from training) and the rest play lower?
It’s just so foreign for myself (30years Old) when I’ve grown up with 4 on the bench who wore 14-17

roofromoz

First Grade
In that "The Night The Music Died" book about Western Division winning the 1974 AMCO Cup, it had a brief profile on each player in the squad - one was John Wilson, who played one match for Penrith in 1972 (his only FG appearance), but had played the 2 earlier grades that day.

roofromoz

First Grade
So did the a grade eam just rock with 13 players? Surely not.?

Aw they would pick 13 (from training) and the rest play lower?
It’s just so foreign for myself (30years Old) when I’ve grown up with 4 on the bench who wore 14-17

Yes, only 13 players would be named when the team lists were released for the next round, normally in the Wednesday papers.

T-Boon

Coach
Unless I am mistaken the reserve graders would wear jerseys numbered 14 to 26 or something, under 23s would be 27 through 40 and then the reserves would have numbers like 44 or 45 on their back.

unforgiven

Bench
Unless I am mistaken the reserve graders would wear jerseys numbered 14 to 26 or something, under 23s would be 27 through 40 and then the reserves would have numbers like 44 or 45 on their back.

Yes the lower grade players used to play in higher numbers, can be seen in this video from the 1997 Reserve Grade and under 20's Grand Finals

The numbers of reserve grade changes based on how many fresh reserves were able to be used in first grade.
In 1997 the reserve grade fullback number 18 was the first number used with the under 20's starting with the fullback in number 31

On a side note, check out that rosters under 20's team lol

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
RL has been played in half a dozen notably different ways since I began watching it. If the game returns to 4 interchanges in conjunction with Origin style refereeing and modern rules it would be the best of all time . . . even allowing for concussion rorting