What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players Under the Pump - Looking to the Ashes

Eddie.

Bench
Cant wait for the series. Going to be the best cricket since IND V Aus 2001 IMO.

Anyway despite all the hype i still think England have their problems. Michael Vaughn looks to be in a massive hole to be honest. I watched him bat on flat pitches against the West Indies in England last season and he was struggling, he struggled in South Africa and he is still struggling now. The form he showed 3 years ago in Australia must be a bit of a distant memory, he produced batting that had class written all over it there so i wont discount his ability to reproduce against the best, however i think its unlikely. His one day form has never been much to write home about but watching him struggle against medium paces such as Dwayne Bravo and Langeveld is South Africa and not move his feet i think he is in for a torrid time. If the captain struggles it might have an affect on the rest of the team.

Im not convinced Flintoff is a top class batsman. Im sure Aussies will play Lee, and i think he and Waren will really trouble him. Against South Africa against some decent quicks in Ntini and Nel he struggled against the bouncing ball. Sure he might hook a few over the fence, but is he capable of making 100's against the Aussie attack.

Ashley Giles against Warne represents the biggest mis match of the series. Giles is a decent bowler, "honest" you might say but i agree with Kim Hughes in that if he gets wickets of the aussie top 6 they should neck themselves. Giles loves to bowl over the wicket at middle and leg, its pretty defensive stuff. He got away with it in South Africa but against us i think he should be looking to come around the wicket and use his height and variations (which he does have) to trouble the likes of Ponting who can striggle against left arm spin.

On the other side of the coin i think Jason Gillespie since the Indian tour. He seems to have dropped pace, dropped his run up down and is bowling without the same accuracy. In NZ he looked tired, here he looks underdone, its early stages but i think Aussies would be mad not to play lee in the tests and the way Dizzy is going he might be forced out. Kasper is probably in the same boat

Clarke had a dream start to his career. But his last 7 tests he averages 17. Mosre disturbing were watching him get out to Aktar in Perth in the manner he did and then Astle in NZ being totally squard up a little swinger. His shied average is not great i believe and although he will be a fantastic player I think e still has a weakness against genuine pace and Harmison will be coming to get him.

Ponting will be targetted. Thw way he is getting out is quite clear - falling acorss his crease, over balancing and getting LWB.

I still think we will win the series on the back of Warne taking 30 odd wickets on dry pitches.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Very good analysis.

Im really liking the look of England's pace attack heading into this series.

Harmison and Flintoff have pace and bounce which can trouble anyone. If Harmison gets back to his best, and the signs are there, then he could really get the early inroads England need to win the series.

Hoggard is a quality swinger of the ball and Jones has just developed this aspect of his game in the Banga series. As we've seen recently with the likes of Vaas, Pathan and even Pedro Collins, the Aussies are alittle uncomfortable aginst swing bowling. As are most batsmen against this diminishing art of bowling.

As for the batting, i agree Flintoff's form is a concern. The good news is that he has a reasonable amount of time to turn it around before the series begins. But you're right, for a number 6 batsman in a team that doesn't have a Gilchrist at no.7 he really needs to perform.

Im not too concerned about Vaughan. He hasn't been in great form of late but he does rise against the Aussies. Leading up to the Champions Trophy Semi against the Aussies he was solid form at best in both forms of the game. Despite that he came out and flayed the Aussies in a match-winning knock to chase a target. And even in the last match he steadied the ship with 57. He reminds me of VVS, a bloke who comes good against Australia.

There is no doubt that all the batsmen need to be in good form if England are to win the series. We can't afford to have a bloke making low scores consistently especially when we have a shorter batting line-up. Hopefully Pietersen comes into the team and continues his form.

All in all, things are certainly heating up!

Corona Boy

Juniors
I too think we can win The Ashes, but i'm not so confident about taking out this one-day series.

If we win tonight, and make the final against England in a couple of weeks, i have a feeling we could rise for the occasion in the big one.

Tonight is a must win to a couple of extents..

To end the losing streak and to regain confidence to skip ahead of Bangladesh, make the final and win it.

Latest posts