What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG expansion

T-Boon

Coach
Is there an old PNG expansion bid thread that can be bumped?

I just want to know what old opinions have been expressed or if none if people have opinions on PNG as an potential expansion team.
They should take a Broncos trial game there. Port Moresby would not be big enough.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
I would love to see a PNG team in the NRL. However I can't see it happening for many many years. When the NRL does expand I see Brisbane 2, Perth, NZ 2 and 3, Central Coast and Adelaide all a higher priority. Safety is an issue however you can always have the teams fly in and out on game day. The team would be made of priodemently PNG players as they would find it difficult to recruit. It would also be hard to retain there players if other clubs come calling.

I would love to see the NRL do more with PNG such as taking an NRL game there or instead of having the prime minister 13 play we can have the real Kangaroos play in PNG every year. Sadly I think a team is awhile away ATM

jim_57

Staff member
The absolute priority for PNG now should be getting the Hunters fielding junior teams, which would be huge for them IMO. Should see lots more PNG kids being signed up by NRL clubs.

Said it elsewhere, I'll say it here, PNG has the potential to be another NZ in terms of providing talent to professional RL. Any talk of lack of talent for expansion is insolent when a country of 7-8 million RL nuts sits untapped just north of Queensland.

Ideally in 10 years you'd have 2 PNG clubs in QLD Cup, both fielding Under 16 & Under 18 teams.

If PNG had a team it would be the most well supported rugby club on the planet. Either code. It would even dwarf anything fumbleball could ever imagine. For that reason alone it would be awesome.

T-Boon

Coach
So do the PNG Hunters get good crowds? I've seen photos on their website where you can see the crowd in the background and it is underwhelming - but it could be shots well before kick off.

I think if they took a Broncos game there it would stop the whole nation. They are apparantly massive - like millions of fanatical fans. If the Broncos aren't thinking of ways to tap into that they are insane.

A Kangaroos v PNG and rest of the world up their would be pretty cool.

They should look at building a big budget stadium.

They'd average about 10k, maybe a bit more.

Considering the average Qld Cup crowd would otherwise be about 500 I'd say that's pretty good going.

Marlins

Juniors
Junior development should be a priority in PNG for the nrl.
For a nrl team to be based there security is the issue. The hunters is great start but this will take time. Give it 10 years then maybe consider having a team there.

jim_57

Staff member
So do the PNG Hunters get good crowds? I've seen photos on their website where you can see the crowd in the background and it is underwhelming - but it could be shots well before kick off.

I think if they took a Broncos game there it would stop the whole nation. They are apparantly massive - like millions of fanatical fans. If the Broncos aren't thinking of ways to tap into that they are insane.

A Kangaroos v PNG and rest of the world up their would be pretty cool.

They should look at building a big budget stadium.

An annual Kangaroos V PNG game in Port Moresby would be my preference. Keep the PMXIII, but play them against Fiji and reward the most passionate RL nation there is.

Get junior teams from PNG in the Australian system and watch them bridge the gap year by year to Australia.

T-Boon

Coach
An annual Kangaroos V PNG game in Port Moresby would be my preference. Keep the PMXIII, but play them against Fiji and reward the most passionate RL nation there is.

Get junior teams from PNG in the Australian system and watch them bridge the gap year by year to Australia.

Also minimise interchange to 4 so that muscle bound monsters become a liability at some point in the game and smaller PNG and Aboringal type players (playing the beautiful, skill based game) can run amuck.

mikail-eagle

Bench
The PNG Hunters played each game at the new Stadium to crowds of between 12,000 and 15,000.

The Penrith Panthers played a 2016 pre-season trail game against the Hunters when the new stadium was being officially opened and it was a sellout.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Supporter base and jnr base isn't an issue. Revenue, value to Tv rights, safety and NRL's risk aversion are.

mikail-eagle

Bench
TV Rights can't be that much of an issue.
Am sure that Digicels new TV WAN network didn't pay peanuts this year to take all the NRL games Telecasts away from EM TV who have had it for the last 3 decades.

T-Boon

Coach
Junior development should be a priority in PNG for the nrl.
For a nrl team to be based there security is the issue. The hunters is great start but this will take time. Give it 10 years then maybe consider having a team there.

Any reason why they shouldn't have the PNG Hunters in the Auckland Nines?

Let them draft two or three players in to strengthen their squad a bit.

Diesel

Referee
Any reason why they shouldn't have the PNG Hunters in the Auckland Nines?

Let them draft two or three players in to strengthen their squad a bit.
Bloody good idea. The 9's would have to be played over 3 days, say 5pm-9pm Friday then the 12-8pm Sat, Sun to fit in extra games. Would be a chance to invite Fiji NSW Cup and 2 SL teams to make it a 20 team comp

The Hunters would carve up the nines even without any NRL players. Their style is perfect for mines. Most of the NRL clubs use reserve graders anyway.

T-Boon

Coach
Think of what it would mean in PNG if they won it !
I assume it would mean a lot.

docbrown

Coach
Its the perfect format for giving these potential expansion brands exposure. It's similar to what they did in the old AMCO cup.

Make it 4 pools of 5 teams with 1 expansion team in each pool -- so PNG, NZ2, WA for their player pools -- and either the Bears or a united Queensland state comp side (to cover all the possible QLD bids)

Sure they may loose every game but they may also spread interest in rugby league further in those areas.

Latest posts