What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG Rep teams - Is there a Residents team ? Age based teams ?

The Partisan

Just curious if PNG has a 'Residents' based team selected each year ( or any year). By residents i mean the guys running around in local comps so excluding anyone who is a regular player / squad member of the Qld Cup Hunters outfit.

Remember aged based teams (16 / 18's) from PNG playing against Redcliffe RL teams a couple of years back....but can't recall any more games.

Reckon a Kokoda Cup featuring PNG Residents, NZ Residents and an Australian Invitational (with players from all RL playing states / territories represented, mix of city / country for Qld / NSW) would be a fine replacement for the ANZAC Test.

mikail-eagle

Bench
For the last few years there haven't been any official PNG Residents Rep selections.
But I do remember maybe in 2014 they picked a Prime Ministers XIII Team all from the Digicel Cup because the Hunters were still playing in the QLD Intrust Super Cup Finals.

As for the age based teams, the U16's and U18's are still being selected every year. They haven't toured out of PNG in a few years but the 2 rep sides always play curtain raisers during a the annual PMXIII match vs Australia.Last year they played against NSW re sides of the same age in curtain raisers to the main PMXIII match.

Coastbloke

Bench
Hopefully both PNG and France step up this RLWC with more PNG players in the NRL and the Hunters and in France's case, more players joining English clubs..

The Partisan

In 2008 they had a png origin series to select the wc squad, residents verses expats. Was a great idea! They should do it again.

In a similiar vein I would like to see an opportunity provided for the dozens of PNG kids that are sent to boarding schools in Oz .....which may include a few decent RL players who are often lost to Union as that is the code the school plays.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Qld PNG RL ..... I would assume there is a NSW equivalent. Wonder if a PNG Australian Select v PNG Residents has ever been staged ..or considered.

http://www.qldpngrugbyleague.com

The have been games between QLD PNG and PNG Residents at the junior U16 and U18 level.

And QLD PNG annually host the QLD PNG Kokomo Nines torunament each year around October-November which attract alot of teams from back in PNG and also others of PNG Heritage who live and work in Australia from as far away as Western Australia.

Also starting in 2014 QLD PNG select side's have been flying back to PNG to compete in the PNG National Nines Tournament that is held in February each year. Infact a few QLD PNG players have been signing up to play Digicel Cup teams for a few years now.

The Partisan

Know of any results (or video) for the 16's /18's ?

Have actually contacted the QLD PNGRL re volunteering for the Nines tournament.

Being a past visitor to PNG I have a soft spot for them on the RL stage and whilst happy to see them in the QCup ....would like them to push themselves on the international stage rather than this NRL bid.

The Partisan

Shame they haven't toured again since then. Would a trip to NQ cost less ? Certainly some good schools / districts / rep teams to play against up there.

Any of the players from the 2013 tour now in the Hunters squad ...or playing with other QLD / NSW Cup outfits ? Or in England ?

ALX25

Bench
I had a quick look and the names that stand out are Silas Gahuna, Warren Glare and Wellington Albert (all PNG Hunters).

mikail-eagle

Bench
Anderson Benford is also part of the larger Hunters squad for this year. Depending on injuries and suspensions he will make his debut during the year.
Nickson Borana and Warren Glare were also part of the Hunters from 2015 to 2016 but this year Nickson has been released back to the Digicel Cup while Warren just linked up with the Ipswich Jets last week.

Also these four players in Silas Gahuna, Warren Glare, Nickson Borana and Anderson Benford were part of the PNG U19 Team that won Gold at the Glasgow Commonwealth Games exhibition tournament.