What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG team in Queensland Cup, then NRL?

earleyedition

Juniors
What do you reckon are chances of this actually happening?

Papua New Guinea takes first step towards an NRL team with Queensland Cup entrant. - story on CourierMail website.

"Security concerns for travelling teams remain a stumbling block for the entry" - No kidding!

Some QCup clubs not keen, according to story.

CQ Italia

Juniors
I think qcup should be enough. NRL clubs can recruit from qcup and the PNG u16/18 teams that will be in qld state comps.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It will happen eventually but probably twenty years away sadly. Something the NRL could do to help is promise a proper test match every year if the govt builds a decent stadium in port moresby, that would be a good second step after qland cup entry.

jim_57

Staff member
An NRL team is not a viable option anytime soon IMO, a QLD Cup team is the logical first step though. It gets the best PNG based players on show in what is effectively a feeder comp to the NRL. One would think they'd strike up a partnership with an NRL team which would see some players getting starts in first grade before too long. Ideally if the first team was a success a second team from PNG wouldn't be too far down the line either, they most certainly have the player base to accommodate it.

PNG are a massive sleeping giant for the international game, given some hard work they could be competing with Australia & NZ in 5-10 years IMO. A regular Tri-Series mid year would great for Rugby League.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Radio Australia interview this afternoon with PNG CEO Brad Tassel.

http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/in...-the-australian-national-rugby-league/1193370

PNG admistrators are hoping the inclusion will give their players valuable exposure and hopefully lead to careers in the NRL.

Presenter: Geraldine Coutts

Speaker: Brad Tassell, chief executive of the PNG NRL Foundation

TASSELL: We've had to jump over quite a few hurdles and run through a few hoops, but we're very close now. We expect that hopefully that we'll be in line to make an announcement, official announcement about it within two weeks time.

COUTTS: Now some of those hurdles, of course, have been money and sponsorship, branding, team colours, all those sorts of things. So how much of that's finalised now?

TASSELL: A lot of that is actually finalised. I mean we've been working on this for two years now and the team will actually fall under the banner of the PNGRFSL, which is the governing body of rugby league in the country. So it's been two years of planning, it's been two years of sourcing funding and sponsorship and we've come up with the preliminary names and colours and the structure of the football operations, and how the players go into train, the whole triple operation structure and administration structure. So we're pretty ready to go once the button is pressed.

COUTTS: How likely are you to retain the PNG players in this actual team and not wind up as the feeder to the rest of the NRL Competition and do some scalping of these players?

TASSELL: Well, we've actually, one of the main reasons for it is we'd actually like to see players get picked up by NRL Clubs. We'd like to see more PNG players playing in the NRL, which obviously improves our potential international performances on the international scene. I think if you've seen recent games between Samoa and Tonga, it's made up of entirely NRL-based players for those teams and I think if you look at the World Cup squads, particularly for Fiji and Samoa, it's made up of all NRL players. So the formation of this team gives us an opportunity for locally-based players to show what they've got on a big stage and that's very important to us, very important for the nation, very important for those guys who are playing rugby league in PNG.

COUTTS: Are there enough players if you keep losing them to the NRL competition, are there enough players in PNG to keep the team on the pitch once the Queensland Cup gets underway?

TASSELL: Oh yeah, there's literally thousands of players out there that, a lot that we do know of, some that we haven't even seen, which have the potential to play at Kumul or NRL level, yeah. It's a rugby league-mad country, it's a sleeping giant of rugby league in the world and through this program, it's given an opportunity for these players to be able to show their wares and show the talent that they do have and I think people will be pretty surprised. It's likely to be a continuous production line of rugby league talent into the Australian competitions in the future.

COUTTS; How does the Queensland Cup work?

TASSELL: Ah well the Queensland Cup - I think it's a 24-round season, so it's 12 home games, 12 away games. We play right across the State, obviously teams based in Brisbane. There's Rockhampton, there's also the Sunshine Coast, there's Cairns, there's Mackay as well. So it will be a full home and away season for us, which is great, because we get the players used to travel and also get the players in front of talent scouts every second week in Australia as well.

And look, players will be drawn from right across the country. We recently had implemented a zone, a national championship for players who play outside of the NRL Digicel Cup national competition and we've scouted about four to six players from that championships to also take part in a Queensland Cup camp in November, plus Digicel players and current players who are playing for the Kumuls.

COUTTS: If this does actually eventuate and PNG gets a team into the NRL, the Queensland Cup. Where will they be based and will they get home games?

TASSELL: Ah yes, well that was one of the criteria that we had to work with the QRL. At the moment, the main venue, the Lloyd Robson Oval will be basically on ice come October and a brand new stadium will be built there in time for 2015. So for the first year, in 2014, we're looking at an option of either playing home games in Australia - so, say for instance, based in Cairns or the alternative venue is in Rabaul, in Kalabond Stadium, which is a venue that has been approved as a suitable playing venue by the QRL and also by the NRL, because the PM 13 game is being played there on the 29th of September. So we've got a couple of options there. Our preferred option would be to play all of our home games in year one in Rabaul, but it maybe a mixture of home games in Rabaul and Cairns as well.

COUTTS: All right, Brad. Now just once again, when will this be rubber stamped and finally get this up and running for PNG?

TASSELL: Ah, we're just working on a couple of final things with the Queensland Rugby League and as I said it's a fairly long process and it's not an easy task as most people can imagine. So working through a couple of final logistical issues. We hope to have the official announcement within two weeks time. So possibly just before or just after the Prime Minister's match in Rabaul.

Benny

First Grade
It will happen eventually but probably twenty years away sadly. Something the NRL could do to help is promise a proper test match every year if the govt builds a decent stadium in port moresby, that would be a good second step after qland cup entry.

A proper stadium due for completion in 2015 in time for Pacific Games will be built.

214Four

Juniors
this is my thoughts on PNG NRL team, as posted earlier in another thread...
I believe 4 teams or even 5 should exentually be included into the NRL. that way;

*(with 4 new teams and a 20 team competition)
every team plays each other once, with a rotating home and away, one year at home the next play the team away (like the super rugby competition). with stand alone state of origin and anzac rounds. competiton season runs for 23 weeks (19 weeks H&A and 4 weeks rep) with the same format for the finals.

*(with 5 new teams and a 21 team competition)
every team plays each other once, with a rotating home and away, one year at home the next play the team away (like the proposed 20 team competition). everyone gets a bye round, and each team in the order of last season placing choosing when they want to have to bye. (ie first choice going to premiers and so forth). also with stand alone state of origin and anzac rounds.
competiton season runs for 24 weeks (20 weeks H&A and 4 weeks rep) with the same format for the finals.

1. West Coast Pirates or a perth/wa based team (2016/17)
2. 2nd brisbane or SEQ team. (2016/17)
3. CC bears (2018 or if any syd team goes)
4. 2nd NZ team (2019/2020)
5. *A PNG team (2020 or later)

5*i would change the PNG francheise alittle to make it more economically feasable and more attractive for players. I would base the team in Cairns or darwin where the players and their families will live. Also have their training facilities in cairns. Play the majority of games in PNG with afew each year in cairns and/or darwin.

*Already there are strong ties between PNG and cairns in terms of travel/airline links and a large amount of people that move to and fro between Northern QLD and PNG.
*including cairns in the bid and therefore francheise opens up the the new club to alot more sponsership protential.
*Basing the team in Cairns and also the families makes the offer to sign with the club more attractive to players (who would otherwise not join due to concerns moving family to PNG with its social and crime issues).
*PNG RL fans would love it, and the social and economic benefits to PNG would be huge!

I do not think a Team Solely based in PNG would work, and i do not think that a team that requits/signs PNG only players would be good for the NRL, it sends out an exclusive type message to me when the ARLC and the NRL spend alout of time and money trying to promote themselves as the opposite (inclusive)

Last edited:

mikail-eagle

Bench
http://rugbyleaguespotlight.com/png-intrust-super-cup-team-announcement-likely/

PNG Intrust Super Cup Team Announcement Likely!

by RLSpotlight on OCTOBER 22, 2013 in QLD CUP

After various issues needed to be sorted and PNG RFL concerns, it is rumored the Queensland Rugby League (QRL) and PNG RFL allegedly will sign an agreement tomorrow opening the door for a Papua New Guinea (PNG) rugby league club to enter the Intrust Super Cup in Queensland for the 2014 season, a second tier competition behind the National Rugby League – NRL.

It is likely there home games will be played at their home base of Kokopo. Like the Vipers in the mid 1990′s it will be a graveyard for visiting teams and a ground overflowing with rugby league fans will be a great sight to see!

This would also mean PNG teams in the QRL’s Cyril Connell Cup (u16s) and Mal Meninga Cup (u18′s). The obvious benefits such as providing pathways to the NRL for seniors and a “shop window” for their juniors will provide a big boost and hopefully see a greater few step to reach the massive potential of PNG Rugby League!

Diesel

Referee
Great news for PNGRL, QRL and fans, no doubt the QRL will have an iron tight agreement about security. I'd imagine visiting teams would fly in and out the same day from Cairns or Darwin and I'd bet most of the strong Brisbane clubs won't be playing in PNG

docbrown

Coach
An NRL team is 20 years away at best.

In the mean time
* Get the QLD cup team happening
* Finish building the secure stadium
* Get the Visa issues relaxed
* Get PNG league winner to play off against NSW, QLD, NZ and others in the NRL 2nd Tier challenge cup
* Create a quota system and salary cap concessions so the NRL has about 10-20 PNG players to create a formidable test side

CQ Italia

Juniors
Great news for PNGRL, QRL and fans, no doubt the QRL will have an iron tight agreement about security. I'd imagine visiting teams would fly in and out the same day from Cairns or Darwin and I'd bet most of the strong Brisbane clubs won't be playing in PNG
PNG Government is hiring security team for QLD teams that fly in

CQ Italia

Juniors
An NRL team is 20 years away at best.

In the mean time
* Get the QLD cup team happening
* Finish building the secure stadium
* Get the Visa issues relaxed
* Get PNG league winner to play off against NSW, QLD, NZ and others in the NRL 2nd Tier challenge cup
* Create a quota system and salary cap concessions so the NRL has about 10-20 PNG players to create a formidable test side

* Yep successful at least at home
* Regularly recruitment of PNG juniors a must (now that they are alloed to have junior programs in schools & are increasing participation 100 fold)!
*actually sounds like a good idea, not just NSW v QLD. May need the ARLC to find a sponsor to cover NZ/PNG travel
* This has been mentioned for years by international RL fans, get it happening now that there is a much better body in charge

mikail-eagle

Bench
http://rugbyleaguespotlight.com/png-intrust-super-cup-team-announcement-likely/

This would also mean PNG teams in the QRL?s Cyril Connell Cup (u16s) and Mal Meninga Cup (u18′s). The obvious benefits such as providing pathways to the NRL for seniors and a ?shop window? for their juniors will provide a big boost and hopefully see a greater few step to reach the massive potential of PNG Rugby League!

This will be the best part of the whole deal if true......

mikail-eagle

Bench
PNG Team in Intrust Super Cup 2014. Confirmed at a press conference this morning. Still trying to find a link.

mikail-eagle

Bench
A picture out of this morning press conference.

1377617_348437468635897_977374735_n.jpg

Diesel

Referee
I wonder if the PNG team will have a fancy coloured QRL logo like the Warriors have a black and white NRL logo.

In all seriousness this could give the QRL the footing to make it more of a premier 2nd tier comp over the NSW Cup.

Imagine the crowds of 10k to a QLD Cup match

Juniors
Playing out of the Kalabond Oval, in Kokopo, East New Britain Province in 2014. That's while the Loyd Robson Oval in Port Moresby gets upgraded for the 2015 Pacific games.

How are the players recruited to the squad? Who will be funding the wages, travel etc?