What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

Currently, the government invests significantly in rugby union in the Pacific, most recently committing on Friday to sponsoring the Queensland Reds women's and men's tours to Tonga in July.

The government also helps bankroll Super Rugby's own Pacific expansion side, the Fijian Drua.
"It's self-evident that the Australian government has a number of options about who we partner with," M
We shouldn't be giving money to rugby union.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Oh dear, looks the Sydney stadium fiasco all over again. Vlandys is shts negotiator lol

seems to be the nrls plan wa sto have them in cairns so they could at least try and get a team together, cowboys have told them to to get fcked, nrl is now scrambling around trying to figure out how to base them in PNG and still be able to put a team together. Deary me. Can you imagine the clamour if the govt give millionaire sports people a tax break during this current cost of living crisis? Might as well sign their own unemployment forms for next election!

Last edited:

Pippen94

First Grade
No he means based as in football head office, Centre of excellence or training facilities, that orginal idea was to create a hub and base it in Cairns, then flily to png on game days, but they've realised that if png are going to own it, then they need to also base it too

I suspect for tax purposes. Government won't give players a tax break, so Vlandys wants them based in PNG to avoid tax. Meeting today was about getting government to build bubble in png. Well, that's what I chose to believe because it's more exciting..

Bukowski

Juniors
No he means based as in football head office, Centre of excellence or training facilities, that orginal idea was to create a hub and base it in Cairns, then flily to png on game days, but they've realised that if png are going to own it, then they need to also base it too
I still can't believe they though papuans would fall for that shit.

Reactions: Ck9
Papua New Guinea launches bid to become NRL’s 18th team

I'll be surprised if there isn't significant political pressure to make a PNG side happen. It shouldn't happen under any circumstances, but they might actually be in with chance considering the political environment in the region.
@blue bags and I want to see a Solomon Islands side.

A Cold War event every game for the season. Us v them.

Imagine a rugby league junior catchment of over say 300 million Chinese lads.

Scare the pants off @MugaB and his buddies out here in Western Sydney.

F-1-11’s over their training fields.

Last edited:
It doesn't surprise me that the PNG NRL bid was endorsed by Labor in 2018.

What I don't understand is why does V'landys give it oxygen?

It's obvious that most people within the RL community don't want a team in PNG.

I really hope Beattie and Jones were not put on the ARLC to get this proposal over the line, but I get the feeling that's exactly why they're on the board.

final say

Juniors
If V'landys wants the poor old tax payer to fund a secure housing compound for players while demanding they get tax breaks for playing in PNG then he can get f**ked. It's an insult to every Australian who is forced to fork out a significant amount of their money to fund this crap.
The funny thing is I feel the same..
A fulll blown Rugby league fanatic...
Doesn't want to pay for it in my taxes!

The funny thing is I feel the same..
A fulll blown Rugby league fanatic...
Doesn't want to pay for it in my taxes!
I think a lot of RL fans feel the same way.

Didn't it begin with V'landys wanting a Pasifika team that represented PNG, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga?

PNG didn't like that proposal, so it became PNG in Cairns. PNG objected to that so it's now about building a gated community in Port Moresby and bribing players to sign with the team by giving them tax breaks.

The longer V'landys f**ks around giving this deadbeat proposal oxygen the less time there is for the bids in Perth and Christchurch to get themselves ready for 2028.

Eion

First Grade
It’s clear PVL is just going for a federal government money grab with this PNG deal. What I don’t get is what happens when labor is voted out? PVL needs some form of bipartisan agreed funding model….and it won’t happen.

I just can’t see it being anything but a disaster

It’s clear PVL is just going for a federal government money grab with this PNG deal. What I don’t get is what happens when labor is voted out? PVL needs some form of bipartisan agreed funding model….and it won’t happen.

The biggest travesty from V'landys' short-sighted cash grab is one of the three genuine expansion candidates will not get a licence.

I don't think V'landys has thought things through very well. If he agrees to a PNG team and the Gov funding is cut off in a few years time then he'll have to deal with 17 very angry clubs, QRL and NSWRL. It would be the end of his tenure as Chairman.

Reactions: Ck9

Pippen94

First Grade
I think a lot of RL fans feel the same way.

Didn't it begin with V'landys wanting a Pasifika team that represented PNG, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga?

PNG didn't like that proposal, so it became PNG in Cairns. PNG objected to that so it's now about building a gated community in Port Moresby and bribing players to sign with the team by giving them tax breaks.

The longer V'landys f**ks around giving this deadbeat proposal oxygen the less time there is for the bids in Perth and Christchurch to get themselves ready for 2028.

Brisbane easts & Christchurch could slot in without make effort.

Pippen94

First Grade

The biggest travesty from V'landys' short-sighted cash grab is one of the three genuine expansion candidates will not get a licence.

I don't think V'landys has thought things through very well. If he agrees to a PNG team and the Gov funding is cut off in a few years time then he'll have to deal with 17 very angry clubs, QRL and NSWRL. It would be the end of his tenure as Chairman.

He won't do it unless money is guaranteed.