What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

Canard

Immortal
It’s 3 billion in spending on something that the govt shouldn’t do

3 billion is five times more than what png are getting

five times more

FIVE!

Tried to dumb this down so people would understand

then again those people probably don’t go to uni in the first place so don’t know what hecs is

why are students getting cola money and not the people they actually need it
It's not spending, and it's not "money" It's reducing the repayment % on a loan.

And even if it was, trying to say reducing student loan debt is the same as spending on millionaires playing footy in another country is absurd.

You clearly didn't go to Uni, because you don't understand even the most basic of concepts, and refuse to read beyond a headline.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Lol, this Kransky has lost it. The 3 billion has nothing to do with waiving hecs and even less to do with a proposed rugby league team in PNG.
And clown college isn't university WB.

Colk

First Grade

five times more

FIVE!

then again those people probably don’t go to uni in the first place so don’t know what hecs is

That is probably the dumbest thing I’ve read in a while. Congratulations.

Maximus

Coach
HECS indexation is the biggest rort. You pay off your HECS all year, but since it doesn't kick in until you lodge your tax return, when the indexation kicks in on 1st June it ignores the 11 months of payments you've just made. Then to make matters worse, it was 7% of your balance last year. They are just reversing out money they were never entitled to.

Canard

Immortal
HECS indexation is the biggest rort. You pay off your HECS all year, but since it doesn't kick in until you lodge your tax return, when the indexation kicks in on 1st June it ignores the 11 months of payments you've just made. Then to make matters worse, it was 7% of your balance last year. They are just reversing out money they were never entitled to.
Old mate seems to think grads are being given money or that this is govt spending!

By the way this is all a bit of political bullshit anyway.

All they have done is change the indexation rate from Consumer Price Index to Wage Price Index.

WPI is lower than CPI now, but its expected to overtake it within the next year or two anyway.

So no, this is NOTHING like gifting a foreign country a luxury sports team. Like not even remotely close.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee

five times more

FIVE!

A
That is probably the dumbest thing I’ve read in a while. Congratulations.
You should try reading back some of your posts

what a punish

you are the king of writing irrelevant essays

uni students get high paying jobs. They don’t need cola. The rest of society has faced falling real wages

it’s a poor example of copying sleepy joe Biden has done in America

Colk

First Grade
A

You should try reading back some of your posts

what a punish

you are the king of writing irrelevant essays

uni students get high paying jobs. They don’t need cola. The rest of society has faced falling real wages

it’s a poor example of copying sleepy joe Biden has done in America

Thanks for confirming your stupidity once again (and your age).

Let me guess you probably went to university in the 1980’s when degrees weren’t even remotely the same in terms of costs, hence the old young people comment previously. Falling wages also affects everybody bar probably the top percentile of earners you idiot (guess what that includes young people coming out of university)

Not all University students walk out of university get high paying jobs. Actually a lot of people struggle and will continue to struggle - there is a particular increase in the casualisation of the job market (less full time jobs and more casual/part time work)

Lastly f*** right off with the (typical) conflation of Australian society/politics with American society/politics. The last thing anybody with a modicum of intelligence or experience of actually being there would want is to compare/import ideas from their failing society (one of which is ridiculously high university degrees)

Wb1234

Referee
Thanks for confirming your stupidity once again (and your age).

Let me guess you probably went to university in the 1980’s when degrees weren’t even remotely the same in terms of costs, hence the old young people comment previously. Falling wages also affects everybody bar probably the top percentile of earners you idiot (guess what that includes young people coming out of university)

Not all University students walk out of university get high paying jobs. Actually a lot of people struggle and will continue to struggle - there is a particular increase in the casualisation of the job market (less full time jobs and more casual/part time work)

Lastly f*** right off with the (typical) conflation of Australian society/politics with American society/politics. The last thing anybody with a modicum of intelligence or experience of actually being there would want is to compare/import ideas from their failing society (one of which is ridiculously high university degrees)
1997 buddy

I paid for my own education

would you like a tissue ?

these bums should pay their own loans off

anyone with half a brain can see Albo got the idea from Biden

Colk

First Grade
1997 buddy

So you are just dumb then. That’s even worse.

Also they are still paying their loans off you idiot. Again they are just changing the indexation of it. The debt is still there. It’s not that hard to work this out.

Lastly, who cares if Biden or Trump or whomever else thought of it (it’s irrelevant) why would you want people (in a lot of cases before they have even started their career) to have even more debt? It’s a strange thing to argue considering the current climate regardless of whether you paid for it or not.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
1997 buddy

They are paying their loans off. They just aren't getting boned for the indexation.

And weren't you Biden's best mate when you presumed he was all for the PNG bid?

In 1997 you were majoring in the swans.

Colk

First Grade
They are paying their loans off. They just aren't getting boned for the indexation.

And weren't you Biden's best mate when you presumed he was all for the PNG bid?

In 1997 you were majoring in the swans.

It’s absolutely crazy that everything has to be referred back to America with some people - Biden or Trump blah blah.

Fair enough with American pop culture for obvious reasons but anybody who has ever been there and seen their society up close (high costs, cultural ambivalence to most things that are not American, non existent middle classes, high homelessness and high violence) would want to do the complete opposite of pretty much everything they are doing.

Wb1234

Referee
So you are just dumb then. That’s even worse.

Also they are still paying their loans off you idiot. Again they are just changing the indexation of it. The debt is still there. It’s not that hard to work this out.

Lastly, who cares if Biden or Trump or whomever else thought of it (it’s irrelevant) why would you want people (in a lot of cases before they have even started their career) to have even more debt? It’s a strange thing to argue considering the current climate regardless of whether you paid for it or not.
They are reducing the amount that is owed

I bet you used to watch west wing lmao

I wish you were around back then to pay my hecs for me

Canard

Immortal
1997 buddy

The students are not getting their HECs debt wiped or paid off, the index rate used is will be changed.

Right now the FY23 CPI rate of 6% is being applied, it will be changed to the WPI of 4.2%.

This is still about double what your HECs debt would have been in 1997 (around 2%)

And within a year or so, WPI will outstrip CPI anyway, so its only really political window dressing.

BUT, the real issue is that your claim that this is why gifting PNG an NRL team is no big deal is laughably ignorant.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I'd rather pay someone's hecs debt (which isn't what is happening) than pay a corrupt oversee politician or a rugby league player on hundreds of thousands of dollars.

And seriously, if this WB fella really attended uni then that institution needs to be shut down asap.

Maximus

Coach
wb is still pretending to have me on ignore, so can someone ask him how much he had to pay over and above his course cost?

Because I've paid my full hecs, plus an extra 10% and I still have a further 8% of the original debt left. This change will save me about 1%, so I will still pay my own education, plus an extra 17%. I'd be on the low end of the scale too.

Colk

First Grade
They are reducing the amount that is owed

I bet you used to watch west wing lmao

I wish you were around back then to pay my hecs for me

1. You have finally got it. Again try and argue how that is a bad thing
2. Why would a person who is broadly apolitical and who definitely doesn’t agree with the myth of American exceptionalism watch a show that is ostensibly political and about American exceptionalism. The only bit of the show that I’ve watched or remember was this (and that’s only because religion is probably the only thing more f***** than politics)

3. I have paid mine so as you. That doesn’t mean that I don’t know that they are now paying a c***load than I did a decade ago