What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Points structure and rule changes

Tommy Smith

Referee
I've always found it peculiar that a try - the object of the game - is only worth double a conversion. Or a penalty goal.

Personally I think 5pt trys makes a lot more sense. It's a more accurate reflection of their value relative to goal kicks and woud also incentivise going for a try over a penalty goal.

I've always found it peculiar that a try - the object of the game - is only worth double a conversion. Or a penalty goal.

Personally I think 5pt trys makes a lot more sense. It's a more accurate reflection of their value relative to goal kicks and woud also incentivise going for a try over a penalty goal.
Go watch yawnion then

Reactions: siv

T-Boon

Coach
I'd get rid of conversions (what does whether some guy on the team can kick through posts off a tea have to do with a team game like rugby league?).
Replace it with something like what the NFL does with 2 point conversions. Maybe a play the ball on the 10 with 5 on 5. That would be good to watch.

Springs09

Juniors
3 penalties huh? What about that manly player who was behind the goal line as the ball was played who was called offside earlier in the year? I can't remember which game but it happened

If the refs were any good then sure that's pretty good however they're a bad joke, a worse joke than Lewis Brown or f**king Luke Burgess being first grade players this decade

Jesus titty f**king Christ that's a terrible idea given the current crop of refs

No offense

Oh sorry why aren't you refereeing again?

All these suggested rule changes are horrible. There are lots of penalty goals because they deliberately give away penalties. All the penalties and sin bins were to discourage this shit negative play the coaches have brought into the game. Unfortunately they've just doubled down on it.

One thing I'd like to see is the quick tap brought back inside the 10. None of this 'wait, wait, wait' shit. Maybe after a few quick tap and dive over tries 2 metres out teams might stop with the shit in the ruck inside the 10.

big hit!

Bench
My way of fixing it would be getting the top English ref,pay him a f**kton more than ESL can afford to have him coach the f**kers

Terminate every referees contract

Allow each of them the opportunity to reapply and be taught by the new English referees coach

Go back to one ref

f**k the try/ no try pre decision and back to benefit of the doubt

f**k off the second ref

Try to get Hawkeye in to judge on forward passes,f**k just use drones with zoom from above

Mistakes cop fines

Game changing f**k ups attract a 3 game suspension, 3 strikes and you have to get your license back

Also each ref now has to respect the players

otherwise known as, I have no f**king idea so we'll give it to you anyway. joke of a rule.

the game has to be reffed from the field first and foremost. if there isn't conclusive evidence of the contrary on reviews, then on-field refs decisions stand.

the problem a lot of the time is that the video ref plays footage back at a speed the human can never pick up in real time. you see plays in real time where players are clearly losing control of the ball, but in extra super slow-mo they manage to keep a finger nail in contact with the ball so they're called tries.

the NFL have changed the rule on control and the NRL need to do same.

T-Boon

Coach
There needs to be more ruck penalties but ruck penalties need to be worth a lot less.
They need to penalise DH forward passes, they should just lose 15 metres. They should also penalise the tackled player 15 metres if they move off the mark either to the side or forward.
Likewise hold down penalties should just be 15 metres.

otherwise known as, I have no f**king idea so we'll give it to you anyway. joke of a rule.

the game has to be reffed from the field first and foremost. if there isn't conclusive evidence of the contrary on reviews, then on-field refs decisions stand.

the problem a lot of the time is that the video ref plays footage back at a speed the human can never pick up in real time. you see plays in real time where players are clearly losing control of the ball, but in extra super slow-mo they manage to keep a finger nail in contact with the ball so they're called tries.

the NFL have changed the rule on control and the NRL need to do same.
No try

Sorry held up because nobody can see you've grounded the ball as obvious as it is

Half pregnant rule

adamkungl

Immortal
I wouldn’t adjust the points, but they absolutely need to address the amount of time teams take to kick penalty goals.

Every side wastes at least the full 90 seconds till the ref blows time off, then another 1-2 mins after that. It’s a horrible look for the game and makes us as boring as rugby at times:

They need an actual shot clock on kicks at goal. Meaning the team forfeits the shot and hands over possession if they don’t take it in time

NRL has a shot clock on scrums but not a shot clock on shots. Baffling.

big hit!

Bench
Oh sorry why aren't you refereeing again?

All these suggested rule changes are horrible. There are lots of penalty goals because they deliberately give away penalties. All the penalties and sin bins were to discourage this shit negative play the coaches have brought into the game. Unfortunately they've just doubled down on it.

One thing I'd like to see is the quick tap brought back inside the 10. None of this 'wait, wait, wait' shit. Maybe after a few quick tap and dive over tries 2 metres out teams might stop with the shit in the ruck inside the 10.

i thought the quick tap suggestion was a good idea, then T-boon liked your post

big hit!

Bench
There needs to be more ruck penalties but ruck penalties need to be worth a lot less.
They need to penalise DH forward passes, they should just lose 15 metres. They should also penalise the tackled player 15 metres if they move off the mark either to the side or forward.
Likewise hold down penalties should just be 15 metres.

and we'll change the name of the game to snakes and ladders

siv

First Grade
I wouldn’t adjust the points, but they absolutely need to address the amount of time teams take to kick penalty goals.

Every side wastes at least the full 90 seconds till the ref blows time off, then another 1-2 mins after that. It’s a horrible look for the game and makes us as boring as rugby at times:

They need an actual shot clock on kicks at goal. Meaning the team forfeits the shot and hands over possession if they don’t take it in time

Its a side effect of the shot clock

Teams wait till the 5 second mark before they action the play

NRL may need to reduce some of the shot clocks by 5 or 10 seconds

Lambretta

First Grade
The answer is cardboard corner posts.

Now you're thinking

To promote tries over attempted drop goals, any team that attempts and misses a drop goal has to play the next three sets of 6 in attack with their shorts on their heads

To dissuade players from taking penalties, defenders are allowed to hurl cans of beer at the kicker whilst he's lining up to take the kick / placing the ball on the tee. This will have the added benefit of the kicker trying to kick the ball f**king quick smart to prevent having his head caved in by a tinnie

Cockosh

Juniors
Agreed. The 7 tackle set was bought in to stop teams from just booting it dead instead we now have the silly situation where a team, in a try scoring situation, concedes 7 tackles because of a knock on in goal. Madness.
Couldn’t agree more. Dumbest rule change ever.

Now you're thinking

To promote tries over attempted drop goals, any team that attempts and misses a drop goal has to play the next three sets of 6 in attack with their shorts on their heads

To dissuade players from taking penalties, defenders are allowed to hurl cans of beer at the kicker whilst he's lining up to take the kick / placing the ball on the tee. This will have the added benefit of the kicker trying to kick the ball f**king quick smart to prevent having his head caved in by a tinnie
If the defending team was smart they'd unleash volleys in succession rather than chucking said tinnies at the count of three simultaneously

I'd have half second intervals between each numbered player or perhaps even a firing order of 13 1 12 2 11 3 10 4 9 5 8 6 then 7 which would allow a lull of strength of tinnie throw instead of starting with the pansies in the numbers 1 thru to 7 to allowing the men in 8 thru 13 cave the kickers scone in

adamkungl

Immortal
NRL should have corners. Soccer is popular, and soccer has corners, so NRL should, then it too could be popular.

Instead of a drop out by the defending team when the ball is forced or errored in-goal, the attacking team's apex should have to drop punt it from the corner. This could be called a top-out.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Bring back the corner post I say! Or at least credit every winger in the history of the game before the rule change an extra 5 career tries as compensation.