What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ponga Appreciation Thread.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
This has a hint of 2004 about it, Joey went down early that year with a season ending injury and we had a pretty horrendous injury toll on top of that, I remember Tahu, BK, O’Davis and Simpson all being sidelined for big chunks of the year plus a few other guys. But our team fought pretty hard that year and I remember Kurt Gidley basically had to stand up and take over the team and he did a great job all things considered, I still remember watching that game v the Broncos where he kicked the GP field goal. We got close to the finals but fell a couple of wins short in the end. Given the situation right now I wouldn’t be disappointed if that was the sort of effort we showed for the rest of the season.

What I won’t be able to stomach is if some of these blokes decide it’s all in the too hard basket and phone it in for the rest of the year. That will really shit me off as a fan.

Woody90

Juniors
Any chance any of our bums will play better knowing they can't rely on him to... well, do everything?
As awful as this is, and obviously pretty much the worst thing that could happen, the small positive is that it might actually force the team as a whole to do more and forces AOB to actually develop a game plan other than 5 hit ups and pass to Ponga.

Obviously our season is still cooked but we didn’t look like making it before this either. Something needs to change.

macavity

Referee
O
This has a hint of 2004 about it, Joey went down early that year with a season ending injury and we had a pretty horrendous injury toll on top of that, I remember Tahu, BK, O’Davis and Simpson all being sidelined for big chunks of the year plus a few other guys. But our team fought pretty hard that year and I remember Kurt Gidley basically had to stand up and take over the team and he did a great job all things considered, I still remember watching that game v the Broncos where he kicked the GP field goal. We got close to the finals but fell a couple of wins short in the end. Given the situation right now I wouldn’t be disappointed if that was the sort of effort we showed for the rest of the season.

What I won’t be able to stomach is if some of these blokes decide it’s all in the too hard basket and phone it in for the rest of the year. That will really shit me off as a fan.

We don’t have a Kurt Gidley to do that this year.

Reality is, we now have a Real NRL standard spine.

mozza91

Coach
I think Buderus had more to do with our respectable finish in 2004 than Gidley did. Although Gids did stand up and have some big games. I remember us hammering a full strength Bulldogs at home. Was a great performance.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I think Buderus had more to do with our respectable finish in 2004 than Gidley did. Although Gids did stand up and have some big games. I remember us hammering a full strength Bulldogs at home. Was a great performance.
Ah that’s right, that was mid way through the season. We also beat Warriors in NZ and I remember that we put 50 on Manly at home too. But we had some bad losses in amongst all that too, most of them away from home.

Yes I’m not giving Buderus enough credit, he was exceptional that year. I’d love to watch the highlights of that season again to see him in peak form.

ryan.a87

Juniors
What's going on?? Sounds like Ponga wants to leave?
Nah

a third party didnt pay him money from 2020-2022

his dad complained to the knights and nrl about it

if the third party doesn’t pony up the dough, knights might have to pay it out of their salary cap

article says it’s a “6 figure amount”……….which, judging by DTs history of exaggeration, it’s probably 100k……..doubt knights would refuse to pay 100k and risk him leaving

Haffa

Ponga's third-party deal was registered by the NRL at the time according to Chammas, but suggested it could have major ramifications for the Knights.

"They have said it hasn't got anything to do with them," Chammas told 100% Footy.

"They had a meeting last Friday with Andre Ponga - who actually raised the complaint with the NRL - over allegations that his son was owed a third-party deal from 2020 to 2022. The details are still starting to come out, but this is a significant development.

"It's a pretty serious situation. The allegations are significant, it's a six-figure sum that he allegedly hasn't been paid."

Ponga is contracted with Newcastle until the end of 2027 on a rich contract, but Chammas conceded he could explore options should the situation worsen.

Bulldogs boss Phil Gould however believes it's not the club who is at fault given the way the third-party deal was negotiated and registered at the time.

"I wouldn't be jumping to too many conclusions," he said.

"I think Newcastle Knights are protected by the fact that the NRL approved this third-party by the sounds of it. If he hasn't been paid - that's really between Kalyn and that sponsor as to whether or not work was performed.

"I don't know if it's really got a lot to do with the Knights or the NRL. At the moment, it would sound to me that the Knights are pretty well protected."

Newcastle and Ponga are yet to publicly address the allegations or investigation.

The difference in reactions between the gutter press and Gould. It's a storm in a tea cup.

Burwood

Bench
Clickbait headlines at their best. The only way I could see the club being in trouble was if they decided to pay Ponga his missing money but tried to hide it from the NRL, which clearly isn’t the case as he still hasn’t been paid.

Woody90

Juniors
I wish they’d stop headlining this story as a “salary cap breach”. Clearly it isn’t.

Also Chammas exaggerating the whole thing and jumping to “Ponga will be disgruntled and look to leave the Knights” is so far outside of what is being reported. Only serves to stress fans out. Thankfully Gus shut it down immediately.

The only thing that worries me is why is this suddenly coming out now if it was owed to him in 2020?

Knight Tales

Bench
It’s the timing I question. We have blown their narrative of the one man team out of the water and they look stupid as a result. these journalists are glorified fanboys obsessed with their Sydney or Brisbane clubs.

Knight Tales

Bench
Depends on who you talk to. the facts are every journo in the game is ringing WEStS phone off the hook right now. With the unexpected emergence of Davey one has to wonder if the club is going to pull the trigger if there is any truth to this agitating behind the scenes to allegedly break contract. I know it is all speculative but Andre is very good at having a sook and them claiming it was a misunderstanding once he is outed. This could become very big very fast,

biggest concern is Phil G. He pulled the contract last time Andre behaved like this. And we were told straight up all clauses for leaving were removed when this deal was signed off.

Last edited:

Latest posts