What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ponga Appreciation Thread.

Woody90

Juniors
I know there’s been a lot of comments in this thread saying things along the line of the club is letting Ponga down by not putting a premiership wining team around him, but it’s also not that easy when we have a lot of money wrapped up in one player. Definitely not saying he doesn’t deserve what he gets, because he definitely does, but it obviously takes from what we can offers other areas in the squad.

Obviously if Ponga was promised money he needs to be paid, but if Andre is pushing for it to be out of the salary cap it suggests that his motivations are for KP to be paid as well as possible, not as much about the quality of the team he’s playing in. There’s a real chance if we end up taking this onto our cap (if we even can) we miss out on retaining someone like Leo or KPP who IMO are crucial for the team and subsequently KP’s success.

Dont know enough of the details to know who’s in the wrong here, but Andre isn’t the easiest to deal with. We get a lot wrong as a club but we’ve looked after that family very well.

Knight Tales

Bench
I know there’s been a lot of comments in this thread saying things along the line of the club is letting Ponga down by not putting a premiership wining team around him, but it’s also not that easy when we have a lot of money wrapped up in one player. Definitely not saying he doesn’t deserve what he gets, because he definitely does, but it obviously takes from what we can offers other areas in the squad.

Obviously if Ponga was promised money he needs to be paid, but if Andre is pushing for it to be out of the salary cap it suggests that his motivations are for KP to be paid as well as possible, not as much about the quality of the team he’s playing in. There’s a real chance if we end up taking this onto our cap (if we even can) we miss out on retaining someone like Leo or KPP who IMO are crucial for the team and subsequently KP’s success.

Dont know enough of the details to know who’s in the wrong here, but Andre isn’t the easiest to deal with. We get a lot wrong as a club but we’ve looked after that family very well.
We could have Leo, KPP, Davey all tied
Down long term and go to market for a gun half. It could be blessing in disguise. you are 100% correct we do right by him and his family. And looks how his father then allegedly acts. It is disgraceful if true.

Woody90

Juniors
We could have Leo, KPP, Davey all tied
Down long term and go to market for a gun half. It could be blessing in disguise. you are 100% correct we do right by him and his family. And looks how his father then allegedly acts. It is disgraceful if true.

It’s difficult because Andre is right to raise it if he’s promised money. What it will come down to though is whether this was a case of the Knights lined this TPA up as part of his salary to re-sign in the 2020-2022 contract or it was just a random TP sponsor that came from outside of the club (not unlikely given his popularity). If it’s the former we have no choice but to cop it and pay it to make up his salary offer, if it’s the latter it’s murky.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
What does any of this have to do with the club? If a third party isn’t honouring a deal with KP then surely that’s between him and the third party isn’t it?

Why would he even consider leaving his deal over a third party that isn’t paying up???

Woody90

Juniors
What does any of this have to do with the club? If a third party isn’t honouring a deal with KP then surely that’s between him and the third party isn’t it?

Why would he even consider leaving his deal over a third party that isn’t paying up???

I think it depends if this was a TPA that the club lined up to give him additional money outside of the cap as part of his 2020-2022 package or it was just a random TP that’s come in wanting to sponsor him (seems more likely to be the case given the clubs comments).

If we lined it up we’ll have to pay it.

Alex28

Coach
I don’t exactly blame the Ponga’s for reporting the missing money - if it is six figures, that’s a fair bit of cash over a short career.

Yosh

Coach
He has every right to claim what is his. Just curious if his dad is getting cold feet and really wants out.

Knight Tales

Bench
I think it depends if this was a TPA that the club lined up to give him additional money outside of the cap as part of his 2020-2022 package or it was just a random TP that’s come in wanting to sponsor him (seems more likely to be the case given the clubs comments).

If we lined it up we’ll have to pay it.
whatever the truth is behind all of this, we need to be strong enough to hold our ground if the club is not liable for any of it. This is where I fear things may get out of hand.

Woody90

Juniors
Not much of a story in it yet really. Worth noting that the Roosters have a lot of money to spend next year though.

Yeah the timing is the only thing I find a bit worrying in all of this.

Obviously they can’t formally approach but someone making a simple hint to Conner or Young to pass on that he’d have a large contract if he got out of his Knights contract isn’t beyond the realms of possibility IMO.

Dont think any other club would have the money (that he’d want to go to anyway).

Knight Tales

Bench
Not much of a story in it yet really. Worth noting that the Roosters have a lot of money to spend next year though.
If it happens It will be a marquee swap. There will not be a release. That loses all bargaining power. If I were a betting man it would be attempting to get Munster. The club wanted him big time last year. Even with the KP negotiations on top. Or else Brown or Moses from Parra. Parra would be beyond super keen. And we need a marquee half.

Yosh

Coach
If it happens It will be a marquee swap. There will not be a release. That loses all bargaining power. If I were a betting man it would be attempting to get Munster. The club wanted him big time last year. Even with the KP negotiations on top. Or else Brown or Moses from Parra. Parra would be beyond super keen. And we need a marquee half.
Really? We want Munster? Like in reality or pipe dream?

Everyone knows clubs arrange 3rd party deals. It's the norm. let's just hope there's no electronic trail, or perhaps the Knights playing by the rules explains our lack of them.

James Maloney let slip in an interview how he was waiting for Panthers to finalize a TPD before signing lol that interview slip caused a delay.