What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Port Moresby Vipers launch bid for NSW Cup

yakstorm

First Grade

THE Port Moresby Vipers have launched their bid to join the New South Wales Cup, Australia’s second-tier competition to the National Rugby League (NRL).

Vipers patron and NCD Governor Powes Parkop presented the bid to the Papua New Guinea Rugby Football League (PNGRFL) to show its support.
Parkop said the PNG Hunters’ participation in Queensland Rugby League’s Hostplus Cup competition was a ‘bottle neck’ system that did not give an opportunity to the abundant talent in the country.

Parkop said if the Vipers bid was successful, it would provide another pathway for PNG players especially the bigger pool of talent in the nation’s capital.

“We appreciate and support the Hunters, we support the PNGRF but this is about taking the initiative to give more opportunities to our players,” Parkop said.

“We are having discussions with the New South Wales Rugby League (NSWRL) and they have given us the requirements.

“Port Moresby has more talents. We have leagues in Morata, Gerehu, Moresby South, Motu Koitabu and more. Most of the players including officials in other Digicel Cup teams come from Port Moresby leagues.

“That’s why we want to set the benchmark and go to another level and it’s achievable.

“Vipers have been to Queensland Cup before, it has always been the benchmark team that has supplied players to Kumuls in the past and recently when the Hunters was established in 2014.

“This bid is good for the growth of the game and human development of our city and need the support of PNGRFL as well as the mother body.”
PNGRFL chief executive Stanley Hondina who received the bid commended the Vipers for taking the initiative.

“It’s a good initiative and we welcome it. Funding may not be problem when it comes to put a team in such competition but there is a lot of work to do apart from funding.

“We will do our part but the team must also do its part for example win a premiership in the Digicel ExxonMobil Cup and other factors that will support the bid.”

Brian potter

Bench
Think I may be in the minority but personally I'd rather they put their efforts more into boosting the game in PNG through juniors, high schools and youth (18-21) programs.
I’ve been saying that the hunters need to enter youth teams at u19&u21 level in the various Queensland competitions for years.

ash the bash

Juniors
I think this is brilliant idea potentially.

This is where federal support could come in, eventually the goal being having JF,HM etc teams.

Even have an annual king of PNG game between the Hunters (QLD) & Vipers (NSW).

Brian potter

Bench
I think this is brilliant idea potentially.

This is where federal support could come in, eventually the goal being having JF,HM etc teams.

Even have an annual king of PNG game between the Hunters (QLD) & Vipers (NSW).
If and it’s a big if the vipers entered the NSW cup the hunters should relocate to Lae allowing players from the east and north easier access to the team and allowing the vipers to concentrate on players from the capital as well as the west and southern provinces.

ash the bash

Juniors
If and it’s a big if the vipers entered the NSW cup the hunters should relocate to Lae allowing players from the east and north easier access to the team and allowing the vipers to concentrate on players from the capital as well as the west and southern provinces.
I think it's a valid point, esp since the Hunters don't have a specific geographic moniker besides PNG. Vipers have said they will be primarily focussing on the PM and surrounding area's. Lets hope it works out.

Latest posts