What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prelim Final v Bulldogs @ Aussie Stadium - ALL OR NOTHING

choc_soldier

Coach
This season has felt like it has sped along at a rapid rate. It only felt like last week that the Panthers were at Huddersfield, squaring off against the Bradford Bulls for the World Club Challenge.

Now we are in the penultimate week of the 2004 NRL season - the prelim finals.

And luckily, the Panthers are there once again. They will be squaring off against a team who were also in the final 4 last year - the Bulldogs.

The winner gets a shot at premiership glory in the grand final. The loser is left with the "so close yet so far" feeling, one that cuts deeply.

The defending premiers against one of the raging premiership favourites.

The ultimate grand final would be the Roosters and Bulldogs this year. However, the Panthers, whom have been the forgotten team in the finals series, will have a say, and will be keen to have a shot at defending their title.

PANTHERS

Absolutely awesome in the first 20 minutes against the Dragons, putting on a display truly indicative of their current standing in the NRL. Fell away after that, and were quite lucky in the end to hang on. Our defence was good, whilst not being brilliant, but with the personnel that was missing in that match, it was perhaps one of our biggest ever wins. Due to a couple of shock results in the first week, the Panthers earnt the week off - but were only one point away from oblivion. Finals footy can be a wicked beast, and luckily, we got the good end of the bargain.

BULLDOGS

Have the team to go all the way. Can punish you in attack when you give them a sniff, and can be quite frugal in defence. El Masri's radar boot is always invaluable, and their forwards, once they get a sniff, are quite unstoppable, providing a platform for backs who can finish the job. The status of premiership favourites is one that is deserved.

2004 ENCOUNTERS

1 each.

In Round 12, the Panthers won an epic battle out west, prevailing 40-29 in one of the best games this season. We were gone for all money, but pegged back a 20 point deficit, scrapped it out, and snuck home in the dying minutes with two tries.

In Round 21, the Bulldogs returned the favour at Telstra Stadium, with a 46-20 pasting. We were in the contest after 30 minutes, but then they put on the afterburners, and made us look quite ordinary.

The Bulldogs are beatable just as much as the Panthers are a chance of winning this match. The Dogs will be favourites for this match, and deservedly so. But the Panthers will not meekly surrender, and with a week off to refresh, and also a seemingly fully fit squad, anything is possible. A repeat of the first 20 minutes of the Dragons, for more sustained and prolonged periods, will be very helpful.

The Bulldogs desperately want a grand final berth, and will play hard. They will accept no less. The Panthers will want to have another shot at glory, and defend the title they won in spectacular fashion last year.

It will be a tight one.

Strap yourselves in and get ready for the ride.

It promises to be a beauty.

Got to go with the heart here (not necessarily my head though) - Panthers by 8. ;-)

Kilkenny

Coach
The injury to Luke Lewis is unfortunate but I actually believe in one respect it is a positive. With Luke Lewis ruled out, John Lang is forced to pick four forwards off the bench (Galea, Crossman, Rodney and Fa'aoso). We all know how reliable Paul Whatuira is and we lose nothing having him in the starting line up. If Tony Puletua and Joe Galuvao are fit to make the starting line up the overall balance of the side is enhanced. We need to match the Bulldogs up front whose go forward against the Storm was impressive. If we are going to progress to the Grand Final we have to win the forward battle. If we win I suspect it will be a close one, if we lose I fear it could be a touch up.

It would be good to hear what Fibro Man's thoughts are on the big one and whether he will be at the game or watching it at Club Paceway!

Fibro Man leave the machines alone and get to the game.

Caged Panther

First Grade
yeah there are many people who are, quite understandably, dissapointed at lewis' non availability. But lets remember whatuira and girdler did take us through to a premiership which means we basically have amos as a replacement for lewis, not to shabby.

choc_soldier

Coach
US

1. Rhys Wesser
2. Amos Roberts
3. Ryan Girdler
4. Paul Whatuira
5. Luke Rooney
6. Preston Campbell
7. Craig Gower (c)
8. Joel Clinton
9. Luke Priddis
10. Martin Lang
11. Joe Galuvao
12. Tony Puletua
13. Trent Waterhouse

Interchange:
14. Garret Crossman
15. Shane Rodney
16. Danny Galea
17. Richard Fa'aoso
18. Frank Puletua
19. Ben Pomeroy (2 to be ommited)

them

1. Luke Patten
2. Hazem El Masri
3. Ben Harris
4. Willie Tonga
5. Matt Utai
6. Braith Anasta
7. Brent Sherwin
8. Mark O'Meley
9. Adam Perry
10. Steve Price (c)
11. Willie Mason
12. Andrew Ryan
13. Tony Grimaldi

Interchange:
14. Reni Maitua
15. Corey Hughes
16. Roy Asotasi
17. Sonny Bill Williams
18. Johnathan Thurston (1 to be omitted)

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
Anasta will play, Thurston will drop off the 18 man bench. It is a blow with Lewis out but good to see we have handy replacements with Whatuira named in the centres and Galea on the bench to fill in either in the backline or the forwards.

choc_soldier

Coach
Big Mick said:
Bulldogs by 10 unfortunately.

Reverse psychology again? :lol:
thnothingthere.gif

*Sandy*

First Grade
Last I heard Fibro was heading to Aussie readying himself to strip down and throw his boxers over his head and run the length of the field. :mrgreen: Go the dome and welcome kilkenny.

I'm gonna predict a tight one for the panthers and make it 7.

^ Pando

retired
Great post Parra_Panther.
I think if we play like last week our forwards will dominate, they seem to have a bit more than most.
Anasta looks like playing, and that is big. Why people think he is over-rated is beyond me. His attack and defence has been as good as you'd want.
O'Meley, Mason, Price, Ryan, SBW, Harris, Perry, Grimaldi. Is there a better forward pack in the game in one team? Add to that Sherwin and El Masri, we have a good chance of knocking the Panthers over.

This will be a great game. Good luck to your team!!!!

Big Mick

Referee
Pando - Clinton, Lang, Puletua, Galuvao, Waterhouse, Crossman, Rodney, priddis, thats a decent pack too son.

^ Pando

retired
No doubt, son.....
Our interchange players may make the difference.
It's going to be a ripper of a game.

MadDogMason

Juniors
I have a feeling that sonny bill williams will make the difference if Folkse brings him on at the right time. Asotasi aswell. Thing with the Dogs is that there bench is so strong. We have price on for most of the game and why Shrek and mason come off we have Asotasi Sonny Bill and Matuia. And by the 60th Minute Shrek and MAson are back on to close the game up with there fresh legs. Dont you just love Folkse's way of coaching :mrgreen:

If panthers have anything to worry about it is there outside defence in Amos and Cambell. They have the worst miss takle rates in the game and if you have Ryan,Tonga and Utai all contesting them than im affraid the Panthers are gonna be in for a long nite. For either team to win it is going to be have to won up front and the team with the best kicking game. If Sherwin plays like he did last week than I the Dogs have a great chance at winning. Im jsut abit concerned about our marker defence and up the middle of the ruck but other than that The Cats better watch out for second faze play in there own half or it will be a dead set carve up IMO...Go Doggies 8)

Big Artie

Juniors
Panthers r mentally tuff in big games, the dogs are a very good side, however penrith will win and then go on next week and beat the roosters

atomic_crimson

Juniors
panthers if we lose.... please smash the roosters...id rather have you guys back to back premiers than those chooks...even better how bout no chooks at all... fire up cowboys... ehehhe

anyways hopefully the dogs rip into the panthers and we walk away with a win... id say by 9 at some point sherwin or braith will go the FG and also a last minute try which seems to be happening alot lately from the bulldogs..

GO DOGGIESS!!

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
Does anyone know if i could snap up some late tickets today? I really want to go and i left it so late. I'll sit anywhere, General Admission tickets i'm after. Cheers.

shadowboxer

First Grade
from a shark to a panther...good luck. I hope you teach them a lesson that they need to be taught. If the old theory of KARMA is alive and well, you should win. Go get em.. 8-[

Latest posts