What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PRELIMINARY FINAL - PANTHERS v ROOSTERS

Anonymous

Juniors
PENRITH V ROOSTERS

Game Thread

Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles). Any other posts will result in loss of points.

**Referee Blows Game On!**

Full Time: Wednesday 08 October, 2003. 9:00PM AEST

REFEREE: Willow

Referees, captains and players please take note: No previous Forum 7s posts allowed.

maelgwnau

Juniors
Hey Guys

TEAM to play the Roosters in the preliminary Final:

1. BIG MICK ( C )
2. MAELGWNAU
3. THEIRRY HENRY
4. PAUL-THE-COWBOY
5. IDDYLION

6. EL COCONUTO
7. BEDSY
8. DOUGIE
9. BUZZ BOY
10. NIBBLETJONES
11. JOBPS

Good Luck To Both Teams!!

Big Mick

Referee
BIG MICK, THE CAPTAIN FOR THE PANTHERS, TAKES THE FIRST HIT UP IN THE PRELIMINARY FINAL AGAINST THE ROOSTERS. THE CAPTAIN IS FIRED UP AND TRYING TO REV HIS BOYS (AND GIRLS) FOR A BIG ONE. HE TAKES THE LINE HARD AND IS MET BY SOLID ROOSTER DEFENCE. BUT GETS UP QUICKLY AND PLAYS THE BALL.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Big Mick #1 Penrith Panthers

Player Bonuses and the Salary Cap Trap:

It is a well-known fact that the Salary Cap has many loopholes for many NRL clubs to exploit. However, what we neglect to realise is the extraordinary number of NRL clubs that are undertaking this activity of Player bonuses and how they will be trapped financially for introducing these schemes.

The salary cap, in the past has copped fair share of criticism. However, this season, has been regarded as one of the most even seasons in League history and we have the salary cap to thank. The basis of the bonus system is wide ranging. Bonus payments are payments issued to players as a reward for their good work on the field, through incentive payments or performance bonuses. However, these rewards do not go unnoticed by the NRL’s auditors and it is these incentives that can harm a club and its salary cap. Two examples are St George, and the Bulldogs.

With regards to the Bulldogs players, whom last season were forced to take pay cuts after their salary cap scandal by their former management. The players took a percentage out of their salary to keep playing for their team and get under the salary cap. However, an incentive to those players were that if they make the semi-finals, then they would receive all that money back through player bonuses, this was described and outlined to them by the NRL, in affect letting the Bulldogs play the same team as last year, but through a loophole.

In season 2004, however, since making the finals this year, the bonuses will be included onto their base salary and this time, due to conditions, they will not be able to offer player bonuses for finals appearances next season as it will be against NRL rules. This inturn meant the departure of the Dog’s two high profile centres, the retirement of one of their greats and the departure of a State of Origin player for the 2004 season. High price to pay for incentive payments.

With regards to the St George, they were given ‘notional’ values so that the joint venture could be successful, as they were in their first season in 1999, when they had the $5 million salary cap, but now, as the public have seen, the Dragons have been forced to get down to $3.25 million, which has harmed the club and fans.

The reason for the Dragons demise is over the past few seasons they have been coerced into cutting down players to fit under the cap, party associated with incentive schemes they introduced. The Dragons offer increased salaries to players who reach a certain level of representative football, either city/country, origin or Australia, in recent years this has caught out the Dragons and has damaged both their recruitment and retainment of players.

Dragons representative players such as Jason Ryles, Luke Bailey and Mark Gasnier have all had increased salaries due to their representative duties, with Gasnier receiving substantially more to his base salary for representing Australia. This system has trapped the Dragons club and is leaving them with no option but to release players of the calibre of Willie Peters, Amos Roberts, Lee Hookey and Justin Smith to rival clubs. This must be a signal that something is amiss.

St. George has a prestigious rugby league history, producing some of the great players of the modern era, immortals in their own right. It is this history that has hurt the club financially and through that has left fans reeling. Darren Treacy, my cousin, and his good friend Jamie Aingscough were forced to leave the Dragons due to salary cap restrictions two seasons ago. The cap has also made it difficult for the Dragons to retain promising young juniors leaving the club, such as Ben Ross and Craig Stapleton.

Player bonus’s, while sounding very lucrative and an easy loophole in the salary cap can be a threat to an NRL club, as can be shown above, a team that works on incentive payments must be very careful as this trap can snap and entangle them in financial difficulty and club instability. I suggest that its better off having a fixed salary, rather than going through the difficulty of having incentive based payments, running the risk that the representative payments would imply increased base salaries for the next season, which could mean losing a promising young junior to a rival club. Player bonuses and incentive payments are a salary cap trap for all clubs.

750 Words

Bit of a change to the line up. Sorry guys !!

1. Backpacker
2. RoostarGirl
3. Catatonic Omnivore
4. Lord Reynoldson
5. Morticia

Reserves

6. Penelope
7. Ozzie

Anonymous

Juniors
Life begins at 30

Scott Sattler must be the most popular man in the retirement home. I can only guess that he bought himself a supercharged walking stick- how could the old man have caught Rooster’s winger Todd Byrne in one of the great grand-final tackles on Sunday? He even got a chance to flash his new dentures- the Panther geriatric couldn’t wipe the smile off his face when his boys defeated Grandpa Fittler’s men.

At 30 Sattler isn’t quite rugby league’s Methuselah yet, but he’s certainly getting on in years. Rugby league has never been an old mans game. The value of experience is unquestionable, but relative experience is often achieved by the time a player is 25. Andrew Gee, at 33, was the oldest man in this year’s NRL, and certainly looked the part. It’s safe to say that rugby league doesn’t do much for a young mans looks, and most “old heads” end a 10 year career looking like 30 going on 70. Compare photos of Geoff Toovey aged 20 versus Toovey aged 30 and you’ll see what I mean.

However, the “old” heads have played a famous part in the game’s history. Arthur Beetson enjoyed a long and glorious career, but ironically is probably best known by the younger generation for captaining Queensland in the inaugural State of Origin match as an ancient relic of 35. The youngster in that 1980 team was Mal Meninga, and he was still good enough to earn a Kangaroo jumper in 1994, aged 34. Allan Langer returned from England in 2001 to help out Queensland in the last match of the Origin series, and turned in a vintage performance in a crushing Maroon victory. He was even filled with enough youthful enthusiasm to return to the NRL in 2002, where he enjoyed an excellent season at the age of 36.

In this year’s NRL there was an influx of young players. In Keith Galloway and Reece Williams, Cronulla had the unusual distinction of playing two schoolboys at the same time. Thomas Leuluai debuted for the Warriors at 17 and schoolboy Benji Marshall was heralded as the games next superstar by Tigers fans. The Panthers won the premiership on the back of strong performances by the likes of Joel Clinton, Trent Waterhouse, Luke Rooney, and Luke Lewis, while 20-year-old rookie Billy Slater was a standout.

However, the naming of the Kiwi and Kangaroo squads proves there’s hope yet for the 30 plus brigade. 31-year-old Ryan Girdler’s return from injury has seen him display all his trademark pace and skill. It could be argued that, as a centre, Girdler has ample chance to age gracefully and protect his decrepit, frail body, although Luke Ricketson (30) seems to refute this theory. Ricketson is arguably the hardest working back-rower in the NRL, and yet has managed to maintain an image as one the games pretty boys. In fact, Ricketson bucks trends all round- how many hardworking back rowers make their test debut at the age of 30 and still look (almost) as pretty as they did 10 years earlier? Robbie Kearns, who is fast approaching 32, has also struck a rich vein of form and is the Kangaroo vice-captain. Kiwi captain Ruben Wiki has enjoyed the season of a lifetime at age 30, and then there’s Paul Rauhihi, who somehow went from an occasional impact player, to a Kiwi international and one of the NRL’s best props, at age 29.

Scott Sattler is unlikely to ever scale such heady heights, but he’s receiving a very nice pension from the West Tigers next year on the strength of his recent efforts. Ricketson, Wiki, and Kearns show no signs of slowing down, but life isn’t one big trip to the RSA for all the old-timers. Brad Fittler had a great season but a shoulder injury seemed to hinder him during the finals series, and one wonders whether he will return as the same player in 2004. Gordon Tallis, 30, largely failed to impress after giving Ben Ross a slap around the ears for not respecting his elders. Jerry SeuSeu seems to have hit the wall (and probably broken his hip doing it) at age 29. Rugby league is a young mans game where the young become old prematurely. While a fortunate few will enjoy renewed respect and credibility on the field after 30, most will be on the downward slide. Players need to get in early if they want to make the most of their careers.

750 words

Tribal Mentality of Rugby League Supporters

I was never brought up with sports at a young age. We migrated into Australia when I was 11 back in 1975, the year the Roosters won back to back premierships. My father was an astute businessman running the family business, my mom didn’t know the difference between Beetson & Beetroot, my sister was still figuring how the world works at a tender age of 2.

I did however marvel at the likes of Beetson, Fairfax, Schubert, Peard, et al. Coming from a country where picking pockets are regarded as contact sport, it was difficult to fathom why humans would collide with such force for no apparent gain. Little did I know that this was the start of my passion for Rugby League.

I was fortunate enough to have neighbors explain the subtleties of Rugby League. My understanding for the game grew further as I attended school, an attempt to assimilate if you like. By this time the Roosters had won the premiership in 1975. With my father announcing that we would be moving from our house in Strathfield to Rushcutters Bay, call it karma but I suddenly find myself in the midst of Rooster territory. Add to this that I attended the same school as Kevin Hastings, it was a done deal, I was a Rooster without even knowing it.

Kids around me talked Rugby League all the time. I remember attending my first game of Rugby League. The atmosphere is something I will never forget. The crowd seemed divided into 3 distinct groups, supporters from either teams and neutrals. The colors you wore with pride. The cheers & chants whipped up by fanatical support was as if it was daring the opposition to cross an imaginary line.

Thousands of supporters from every walk of life gathered as one as if old friends but never really knowing each others name. They share the joy’s of triumph and the despair of defeat. Such is the tribal culture of Rugby League supporters.

Contrary to some opinions, tribes do not share a common geographic location. Tribal members for most part come from all points of the compass. They gather at a given point in time as if drawn by some mythological force in rally to support their warriors in battle. With them they carry their hope of a victory over their despised opponents. Their weapons are their voices, their strength in numbers.

Race, religion nor creed hold no relevance in tribal support. All that mattered was which team your heart belonged to. The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines a tribe as a group of people sharing a common interest or character. They should include “ref: Chook Pen – Aussie Stadium”.

Tribal support of their warriors is one to behold. As if cast back in biblical era’s gone by, we revere our warriors who draw upon seemingly superhuman strengths the likes of which would move mountains fighting for every inch of hallowed ground. Moses may have parted the red sea but I would be surprised if the cheers were louder than that of Fittler splitting the defense 10m out. Words such as courage, pride & commitment adorn our creed as if written in blood spilled by warriors of days gone by.

It is somewhat amazing that a tribe can exist without an apparent structure. Typical tribal gatherings often have their elders and some form of social structure. Tribal Supporters loyal to the Roosters cause have no need for such structures. It’s charter is understood by all, its values passed from one game to the next. It’s elders speak from within its sacred catacombs in Bondi. Voices need not be raised from within to rally support from tribal members. As sure as the sun rises from the east so shall the support for our warriors from Bondi.

The prize which all tribes seek comes in early October. It is then where two tribal cultures remain and thirteen others regroup for the next calling. For the two tribes, aspirations of the ultimate prize are within grasp. Both tribes taunt each other in hope of exposing weaknesses in character. Old wounds are exposed, it seems that all is fair game. Tribes already eliminated join in the banter as if to quench their insatiable thirst for tribal contest.

But alas, there can be only one winner. With Tribal gods looking from above, their purpose, to guide the righteous team to victory. In defeat comes hope that one day, they too may be worthy winners.

750 Words

Genghis Chan

Juniors
Lord Reynoldson
Roosters #4

--------------------------------------

The Curse of Sydney Rugby League

They had the chance to be the first Sydney team since the Bulldogs of 1984/85 to win consecutive premierships. They had the chance to claim dominance over all teams in the NRL. They had the chance to break a curse.

80 minutes of football later, and the Sydney Roosters turned out to be nothing more than those other Sydney based clubs that tried before them – victims of the curse of Sydney Rugby League.

It is a curse that has ensured that no Sydney team shall dominate the competition and the price that the city has paid for the expansion of the game.

In 16 competitions over 15 years, on 11 occasions the most prized treasure in Rugby League has left Sydney’s boundaries.

For all the praise that the current Roosters team has been given, all that they have to show for it is 1 premiership. Over the past 4 years they have made 3 Grand Finals. After 4 strong years, all that they have to show for their efforts is 1 premiership. Grand Finalists are either remembered as heroes, or a bunch of guys that just couldn’t quite get there. They will forever be remembered as that Sydney team that just couldn’t do it twice in a row. They will always be the team that failed more often than they succeeded in what should have been some of their finest years.

Sound familiar? It should.

From 1993 to 1995 the Bulldogs won 2 minor premierships, appeared in 2 Grand Finals, yet emerged from the season as Champions only once. They could not put away the rest of the competition and return to the glory days of the 80’s when the blue and white won 4 premierships. Instead, after their Grand Final victory of 1996, they fell off as the team was torn apart by the Super League war to post some rather erratic results in which they have had early exits from the finals, non-appearances in the finals, and just the 1 Grand Final appearance. Put simply, they faded from the Rugby League spotlight after 3 years of dominance to become nothing more than a second rate team for over half a decade.

They were not the only ones who have tried to restore Sydney’s pride and failed.

In 1995, 1996 and 1997 Manly won the minor premiership. In each of those years they made the Grand Final. They had the perfect mix to cement themselves as one of the top Rugby League teams of the decade. They had the results on the board, but when it came to Grand Final day, the truth became known. They were, like the Bulldogs before and Rooster after them, pretenders. 3 years they were Minor Premiers, 3 years they were Grand Finalists, yet only once could they get over the line. They were sealed to a fate of immediate disappointment for their failure.

After the fall of the Seas Eagles in the 1997 Grand Final and the merging of the competitions, only 1 Sydney team stood up to say that they have what it takes to bring pride back to the birthplace of Rugby League in Australia. The Roosters. Yet all that they could manage was 1 championship in 3 Grand Finals over 4 years. All that they managed was to show the curse of the Sydney-siders is still there, waiting to strike again.

When will Sydney teams truly dominate the way they did in the 80’s?

That question remains to be answered.

There will never be a dynasty that rivals that of the StGeorge team from the 50’s and 60’s, but for years one non-Sydney team after another has stolen the most prized treasure in Rugby League. The Bulldogs, Manly and now Roosters tried and failed consistently to restore lost pride to the game’s heartland, and proved to be nothing more than pretenders to a throne vacated last by the Bulldogs. They have fallen foul of the curse that plague’s Rugby League in Sydney.

The Roosters time is up. Their recovery will be long and painful. Their opportunity for true dominance is over.

The torch has been passed onto the Penrith Panthers. It’s now up to them to save Sydney’s soul and bring home year after year what belongs within the borders of Sydney. Until they are struck down by the curse, Sydney’s hope lays at the foot of the mountain, and to defeat this curse, it is one enormous mountain for them to climb.
---------------------------------------

749 words between lines.

Paul-The-Cowboy

Juniors
Paul-The-Cowboy, #4 Penrith Panthers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A weekend from the “dying sport” that other sports would die for

Last weekend will live long in my mind as being one of the greatest weekends I’ve experienced in our fine sport, as five games of huge importance were contested across the globe.

It was a miserable, chilly Friday night that kicked off the weekend as St.Helens and their army of fans made the short journey over “Billinge Hill” to take on fierce local rivals Wigan at the JJB Stadium in sudden death play-off football. The Lancashire rivals quashed any suggestions that they could no longer pull in the big crowds as 21,790 flocked to the JJB to create a white hot atmosphere. What made it an even prouder night for our sport was a lot of opposing fans sitting side by side engaging in banter and singing with no trouble reported whatsoever. The intense yet sporting atmosphere between the fans was mirrored on the pitch as the very impressive Wigan side blitzed St.Helens with an awesome first half in which they played an absolutely faultless game.

Despite the scoreline of 40-24 and the ease in which Wigan won, it was an enjoyable spectacle with some great tries, especially Irish winger Brian Carney’s solo effort. The game saw Darren Smith grab a well deserved brace in what looks like his last game in the sport as he bode an emotional farewell to fans at the end of the game along with fellow Aussie Barry Ward, the injured Darren Britt, legendary number 4 Paul Newlove and youngster John Kirkpatrick. Rumour has it that it might also have been captain Chris Joynt’s last game in the red vee.

On to Saturday and another famous rivalry as Bradford Bulls locked horns with Leeds Rhinos in front of another impressive crowd of 19,786 at the Odsal Stadium.

This game was a much closer contest with Bradford only making the game safe late on as Leeds battled and played their part in what was an intense, fierce and quick moving spectacle. Bradford booked a very well deserved place in the Grand Final, running out 30-14 winners in the end.

The weekend had got off to a flying start as it was announced that this year’s play-offs had seen a 29% increase in crowds compared to 2002. The promising aspect being that with better weather conditions both sides could have pulled in a lot more people.

It wasn’t just the Super League that was impressing. The lower leagues exhibited their skill on Sunday with the NL1 and NL2 Grand Finals being battled out at The Halton Stadium. The NL2 Grand Final saw Sheffield Eagles take on Keighley Cougars with Keighley claiming promotion after a late try nail biter which saw the skill and intensity that one expects from Super League.

Later on that afternoon Leigh looked to shrug off their bridesmaids tag against red hot favourites Salford. They soon found themselves 16-0 down but the spirited “Leythers” battled back bravely to go in at half time 6 points behind. However, Salford’s full time professional status was evident as Malcolm Alker led his charges to victory in a heated contest.

The NRL Grand Final had taken place earlier that morning to set the tone for the rest of the day. There had been a lot of talk this season of the dream final of Roosters v Bulldogs with some fans disappointed that it never materialised. However, the flamboyant young Panthers taking on the tough, classy, world club champions from Bondi had me licking my lips, even more so than the prospect of the Doggies taking on the defending champions.

Both sides have been shining examples to other clubs this year. Easts setting the benchmark with brutal defence and a stinging attack throughout the year and Penrith showing to clubs such as Wests Tigers and Cowboys that it’s possible to achieve success and climb from the lower part of the table as long as the desire, courage and determination are there.

The game didn’t disappoint. Heroic, courageous, intense, brutal…unforgettable. Just 5 words that describe what is probably the most enjoyable grand final that I’ve ever witnessed. The spirit and determination of the Panthers was heart warming throughout the year as they continually upset the odds in what can only be described as an incredible turnaround. The raw emotion on display as Sattler pulled off an incredible tackle and Rooney secured the victory was just unbelieveable. This is what rugby league is all about.

Dying Sport? Think again.

(750 words including title)

maelgwnau

Juniors
#2 Maelgwnau - Penrith Panthers

The Fallen SUPERPOWER

MANLY, Superpowers of Rugby League through the ‘70s to the ‘90s, are now a club struggling to come to terms with financial limitations and a lack of resources. Can they rise again?

As soon as you walk into the foyer of the Manly football office, as a giant stuffed eagle peers cautiously over your shoulder, the symbolism of the fall of a once mighty club cannot be ignored.

Nailed to the wall are photos of three premier teams of the 1970s; the 1987 champions from the last tango at the SCG; the montage of action shots from the 1996 victorious grand final day. Figures caught up one way of another by the current battle for power at the Sea Eagles are there – Arthurson, Fulton, Peters, Randall, Thomson, Krilich, Gibbs and Hasler.

There’s always been a “you have to be one of us” culture at Manly. They might say it’s changing, and needs to change, but it’s still as strong as ever – as seen by the only three outsiders among front office in the last five years having moved on:
CEO Graham McNaney, football manager Keith Onslow and, soon to join them, Coach Peter Sharp.

Now, with the leagues club in control, they tackle the massive challenge of making the former superpower a competitive force again.

CEO Ian Thomson leans back on his chair and, two days before losing prop Aaron Cannings to Parramatta, admits: “Unless we did something, we were just going to be a development club for others. Before we were the predator, now we are potentially the meal.”

Make no mistake, the fall of Manly compares only with Parramatta’s (1987 – 96) as the greatest demise of any successful rugby league club in the past 20 years. The Eels recovered. Manly still have the task at hand.

To emphasise how embarrassingly rich with talent Manly was, their 1983 side, which lost the grand final to Parramatta, had 19 players who had or would later play for Australia, plus a Rothmans Medallist in Mal Cochrane.

The year before, Max Krilich started the grand final from the bench, before being chosen that night as Kangaroo’s captain, along with Manly starting hooker Ray Brown. Even in 1996, their last premiership year, they had 14 internationals plus three origin players. But the decline started swiftly after their lost grand final to Newcastle in ’97 – they finished 10th the next year and have had four years out of the finals since.

Now they have just two players who have worn the green and gold, Steve Menzies and John Hopoate, the smallest staff (11 full time employees) and the tightest budget in the NRL.

Adapting to this modest existence has had its casualties, both from within the once strong brotherhood and without. The most recent is chairman Paul Vautin, a sacrificial lamb in the fight between two factions. Fingers have been pointed, solid friendships broken and dirty politics played, with the ‘old guard’ now back in command. But amid the political in-fighting and passing of control to the leagues club board led by Ken Arthurson, chairman since 1974 and football club boss from
1963-83, three questions need to be asked:

How did the dramatic decline happen?

Why could Manly not stand alone in 2000 but elect to two years later?

How is an extra $200,000 a year in leagues club funding going to make a difference?

“We couldn’t afford to stand alone in 2000, the irony is that we’ve now got less funds but we had to stand alone,” says Thomson. “Once the joint venture fell over there was no question we had to make it work somehow. We had to survive – and that’s what we have done – just survived. “Forging this closer link with the leagues club is about more than just surviving. Survival is not what this club has been about, prospering is what this club has been about.”

Even with the leagues club committing a minimum $1 million compared to the current $800,000, the Eagles will still not have anywhere near the financial muscle of others.

So what is the plan to turn around Manly’s fortunes? Because if Arthurson and his board, Bob Fulton, Graham Lowe, new coach Des Hasler or whoever else from former great eras believe they can replicate the practices and deeds of the past, too much has changed.

“There are no quick fixes, quick fixes require money . . . and the Manly of today doesn’t have it like before.”

Words: 747

RoostarGirl

Juniors
RoostarGirl for the Roosters
Word Count 748.

COACHING………

I would like to express my thoughts on what I believe makes a good Rugby League Coach.

What is a Coach? According to my old Heinemann Australian Dictionary (stop laughing its the only dictionary I could find) a coach is "a person employed to teach, train or prepare people for a particular purpose".

So then what makes a good rugby league Coach? (Shown as good Coach from now on)

1. Is a good Coach a person that just gets results like grand final wins, or state of origins wins? or is it someone who brings out the best in a player and a team?

2. Is a good Coach a person who talks to the media about their sport? or someone who would prefer to ignore the media and all that hype?

3. Is a good Coach one that criticises all other Coaches and/or Coaching methods? or just gets on with the job quietly?

4. Is a good Coach someone who blames everyone else including the referee when their team loses? or just thinks well okay what goes around comes around as long as their consistent?

5. Is a good Coach a man that sacks people when the chips are down? or tries to help rectify the problem in the first place?

6. Or is a good Coach a Coach that even when they play bad manages to find something positive out of it?

Well from where I sit in the grand stand or at home on my computer I reckon a good Rugby League Coach is someone who can encompass all of the above traits and attributes whilst constantly looking over their shoulders for the knives in the back

A Coach’s job is the hardest job of anyone related to Rugby League because they need to be able to put the performances on the board even though they don’t get on the field. I would have to say that it would have to be one of the most bittersweet jobs a person could hold down. I would liken it to be on a Roller Coaster your up and down that many times in one season you would begin to feel sick sometimes.

I personally think that a good Rugby League Coach is someone that gets results but can find the right balance to bring out the best in a player and then ultimately in a team. They also need to be able to have the courage to make the tough decisions and follow through with the consequences. They need to be able to critice their team but also praise them with credit when credit due. They need to be able to stop blaming the referee when they lose and look at themselves and their teams (even though sometimes it is the referee’s fault :shock:). Sure take out the positives of a game and try and turn them around but don’t pretend not to be annoyed when your really angry. They also need to talk to the media when they ask the tough questions because that’s promotion of your sport and the supporters of Rugby League deserve to hear your true and proper thoughts. They also need to be able to change coaching methods with the times and not complain whilst doing so.

I was hoping to turn this article into a story about Ricky Stuart’s unblemished record as a Coach by winning back to back Premierships with his Roosters in his first 2 years at Coaching a First Grade Rugby League Team.

Although I am unable to say that Ricky’s record is unblemished he certainly is a great Rugby League Coach in my eyes and he has done nothing really to change my mind except that last result is not on the Board.

Ricky Stuart is a great Coach and I admire him for everything he has been able to accomplish in his Coaching at lower grade and First Grade levels in such a short time.

In summary to the above I have come to the conclusion that not one Rugby League Coach in the NRL system is perfect. Although as a biased Rooster Fan would have to exempt Ricky Stuart from that category. I think that next time the fans start yelling and screaming about their Coach they should take a long hard look at their Coach’s job and really think about walking a day in their shoes. I reckon we could all learn a really valuable lesson, not only about Coaching but surviving in general.

Penelope Pittstop #1 Easts

SEX, DRUGS AND RUGBY LEAUGE

People often talk about our great game of Rugby League in terms of fitness, skill and athleticism and they would be correct in the description – ‘The Greatest Game of All’.

Let’s be honest now folks, the intrigue, drama and acrimony make it all the more appealing. Through time, we have seen brain explosions both on and off the field. We have witnessed humorous, sad and down right disgusting behavior. It creates headlines, comment and angst. Willingly, we devour all the information we can, form opinions, create disputes then settle back down to the next eighty minutes of play. It is only a matter of time before a book which details leagues trials and tribulations is published.

On field explosions like in an East’s Vs Canterbury match at Henson Park in 1987. East’s were trailing by four points, 14-10, with three minutes left on the clock. John Mackay then makes a break and passes it to David Smith. David Smith delays his pass to Wayne Challis, and Canterbury winger Glen Frendo gets between and knocks the ball down. Instead of knocking the ball over the dead ball line, he knocks it back towards Wayne Challis. Challis grounds the ball just centimeters inside the dead ball line to level the scores. David Smith converts from the sideline and the East’s’ team wins 16-14.

We have had some pretty spectacular explosions off field as well. Watching Nathan Brown now known as Coach ‘slappy’ for his sideline incident involving Trent Barrett, was a memorable experience. South’s simply turning up to win against Balmain, in the 1909 JJ Giltinam Shield, despite an agreement to the contrary. The Super League War debate still rages. The Bulldogs salary cap rort, described by David Gallop as the day Rugby Leagues' heart was broken. And how we can ever forget that infamous Hoparte finger. In the most recent controversy, between the RLPA and NRL neither party was able to reach agreement on the Collective Bargaining Agreement. This unfortunately led to the cancellation of the 2003 Dally M’s. The inability to reach an agreement, threw a spanner in the works, resulting in the players forfeiting the opportunity of being presented with these prestigious awards. And that is just the stuff I can talk about.

Interestingly, the things we can and can not talk about, how we can and can not express ourselves seems to be the latest biffo looming, this time between the law and the supporters. Until recently football forums have been a breeding ground for gossip, innuendo and lies, more importantly it has been a breeding ground for friendships, expressing opinions and discussions. It seems not many people are clearly in the picture and this issue is hotly discussed amongst forummers. As a result, the supporters of the sites, the people who run them and those that use them, have to moderate the content. Despite our understanding of free speech in this country, the law demands that we make no libelous, slanderous, racial or threatening comments. Is there any difference between fans throwing objects at opposition supporters or a war of words with malicious intent? Legally, anyway, it appears not.

The best part is of course, that every year we become embroiled in some sort of controversy. This year Souths’ have had more than their fair share, reports of lawsuits against fans, Coach Coleman being sacked and George Piggins’ resigning from the board. The Denton Vs Piggins talkback incident that left everyone slack jawed. It was an absolute riot.

In the first round of the semi finals we were informed, that both Matthew Elliot and Simon Woolford coach and captain, respectively, from the Canberra Raiders, had received death threats. What a sad day in Leagues history, to have to record that. In the good old days the most we had to worry about was putting on a bowler hat or piddling in public.

Of course not to be outdone, there is a League scandal brewing with an alleged rape of a 17 year old, in Central London. The Players involved have told News of the World that if there names are mentioned in the Tabloids they will sue.

Never a dull moment, I hear you cry. As for 2004 your guess is as good as mine as to who will take the Sex, Drugs and Rugby League Challenge. Rugby League is entertaining both on and off the field. The greatest debate of all time is of course – Should we bring back the Biff?

Iddylion

Juniors
Iddylion,
Panthers #5
Words: 708

A Referee’s Lot.
I love my job – it’s the best in the world,
I don’t care what those men in the media say,
Although I do admit sometimes it’s enough to drive one to drink,
Take for example the match that I did there today.

The weather was lousy and we were all soaked to the bone,
I got stuck in traffic and almost turned up late,
And after finding a parking spot and walking the mile to the ground,
I was hassled by a whole mob of fans at the gate!

Once safely inside I began checking jewelry and studs,
With the players grumbling and all taking their time,
But I eventually got through them all and approved every kit,
But by then I’d only 5 minutes left to get changed into mine

Well this was about the time I learnt the bad news,
It seemed that one of my Touchies had come down with the flu!
Everyone was running around looking for a replacement,
But it turned out that one from the reggies game just played would have to do.

So I’m thinking all the drama was finally over,
And it’s about time we just got on with the show,
And we’re out on the field - the players lined up for the anthem,
When the rain which had meanwhile turned into sleet changed to snow!

The first set of six wasn’t even up,
When I had to call for the blood bin to be used,
A prop from the blue team had a nasty gash on his melon,
And he was wandering around dazed and confused.

With him out of the way I called for play on,
And pretty soon there erupted one hell of a brawl,
I singled out the players who I felt had started it all,
Then sin-binned both captains- you should have heard the crowd roar!

Well you’d think I were the devil himself or some other type of evil fiend,
If you’d only been able to hear that resounding reaction I’d got,
So I glanced up at the screen and winced at the replay,
It seemed the blue captain was involved, the red one was not.

I shook off the mistake and stopped listening to the crowd,
You can’t get every single call right,
And once again called play on and hoped that some football might be played,
And that the players would not look to rekindle their fight.

The next 10 minutes dragged by amongst the ice and the snow,
And the captains ran back out onto the ground,
The crowd exploded with excitement and good cheer to welcome the wronged captain back,
And I found myself smiling – at last a positive sound!

They’d been back on the ground a good 30 seconds maybe 40,
When the halfback for the blues was taken both late and high,
As I saw to his health I got a sign from above that things had to improve,
It seemed finally it rain and not snow was once again falling from the sky.

The poor number 7 was at last stretchered off,
And I sent the number 10 for the reds for an early shower,
The crowd once again let their displeasure be known,
And I couldn’t believe this match had to go on for another whole hour.

Well they say bad luck comes in threes as the blue team were about to learn,
As this game had for them one more injury to add to their mounting toll,
With 4 minutes left in the half and just 5 out from the line,
Their world class hooker took a short dart then a dive, scored a try, done his knee, and was stretchered off as the fullback kicked the goal.

With 14 men left on their side and 40 left to play,
The blues came out from halftime with nothing to lose,
And after another long half of hard slogging football,
It probably surprises you none that the victors were the blues.

Well security guards escorted me back to the car,
One claimed he needed the exercise anyway,
What was that I said about never quitting this job?
I guess it’s true just so long as I never get a repeat of today!

The Backpacker

Juniors
The Backpacker #11 for the mighty Roosters. Feeling the pain of a long season…

Would the real Craig Smith please raise his…knee

Ricky Stuart and Phil Gould are, arguably, the stalwarts at the top of most league fans ‘Greatest Whingers’ lists but Chris Anderson must take the whinging irony award. When Jason Stevens was suspended for knee lifting in 2002, the Sharks were fined $10,000 for their criticism of the judiciary. Rewind a season to 2001 and whom do we find leading the knee lifting lynch mob – (then Storm coach) Chris Anderson. “It’s a dangerous thing to do…the league should look at it before someone gets hurt,” he said, thrusting Dragons prop Craig Smith mercilessly into the hands of the circling vultures. Take a bow and a dose of karma, Chris Anderson. Unfortunately, Craig Smith’s knees, after Anderson’s outburst, were suddenly the focus of, not only the general league public and the media but of the NRL judiciary as well. Was what followed, the systematic persecution and subsequent annihilation of Smith and his chances of ever receiving a fair go in the NRL?

Some would say no. After all, Smiths knees were at the centre of a penalty and citing in Rd 2 of 1999, some two years before Anderson saw fit to bring his running style to the NRL’s attention and, if for no other reason than Smith was a veteran of the judiciary gauntlet. There is some consensus though, that Smith was subjected to a concentrated campaign against him. Described by ‘Blocker’ as a mongrel, Smith could have felt unfairly maligned by the NRL, well before the black season of 2002. A union convert that only found himself at the Bulldogs in 1994 as the result of a friendship with Craig Polla-Mounter, Smith was never far from Rugby League controversy. Notably, the Kiwi’s inclusion in the 1996 Queensland origin team during the bleak war and his ability for getting suspended prior to Kiwi test matches, a subject well documented by New Zealand’s conspiracy theorist journalists.

Conspiracy theories aside, Smith appeared subjected to greater than normal scrutiny of his running style in 2001 and, ultimately his whole game came under the watchful eye as a result. In a year that Smith needed to renegotiate his contract with St George Illawarra, the denigration of Smith by the media and at the judiciary meant that, as well as being docked a five-figure sum by his club, he felt that he couldn’t continue his career within the NRL without continual victimisation and he signed a 2 year contract with the Wigan Warriors. Four suspensions, totalling 15 weeks, in 2001 however, almost saw this contract lost to him as the rules in England state that the player has to have played at least 16 games within the season to qualify as an import. Luckily for Smith, being a current Kiwi at the time saw this rule relinquished. If the rules hadn’t been relaxed for him, Smith may have been lost to Rugby League altogether.

Smith only played 40 games for Illawarra over three years and 52 games for St George Illawarra in the three years he was with the joint venture. With Wigan, this has only taken two years to achieve. Has his game been cleaned up to such an extent that he’s no longer subject to the judiciary and subsequent suspensions or is there some truth to our favourite whinger, Phil Gould’s allegation that the judiciary conspired against Smith to bring about a guilty verdict, despite being successfully sued by the NRL for them. Smith was definitely given an unfair go by the media when a tackle on Kevin Walter’s resulted in the Bronco’s player suffering a fractured nose and orbital eye socket. Despite the incident appearing accidental, Smiths past record was dragged out by the media and descriptions of Walters’s injuries were the focus without a mention that malice appeared to be uninvolved. Subsequently, Smith was suspended for another six games, the second suspension of this length in the season, effectually ending his NRL career sitting on the sideline.

Smith might see the media as the medium that helped initiate his demise in the NRL but he can probably also appreciate that the accolades the UK media have given him, have gone a long way to his being in contention for the coveted Man of Steel award this year. What a difference two years, some good press and a different judicial panel can make. Once the medias whipping boy, he’s now raising his… err…hand for another year with Wigan. And they’re happy about it.

The abacus says 750 Words including title.
References
Number of Game stats from: http://www.showroom.com.au/dragons/dragonshistory/history_players_s.htm
Various media :D
RLW – volume 31, No.4
volume 30, No. 32

Anonymous

Juniors
clock_0.gif

Fulltime has passed folks. Matched to be marked before Friday night.

Dougie

Juniors
well done guys - 5 V 5 - should be a close finish....hopefully the Panthers finish on top!

Anonymous

Juniors
PENRITH

Big Mick
Player Bonuses and the Salary Cap Trap
(Effects of the cap using St George and Bulldogs as examples)
750 words (inc title).
Score: 8.6

Thierry Henry
Life begins at 30
(Scott Sattler and the veterans of Rugby League)
750 words (inc title).
Score: 8.9

Paul-The-Cowboy
A weekend from the "dying sport" that other sports would die for
(Fan's summary of St Helens v Wigan play-off)
750 words (inc title).
Score: 9.0

maelgwnau
The Fallen SUPERPOWER
(The diminishing Manly empire)
745 words (inc title).
Score: 8.0

Iddylion
A Referee’s Lot.
(The referee and poetry in motion)
708 words (inc title).
Score: 8.5

PENRITH TOTAL: 43.0

-----------------------------------------
ROOSTERS

Catatonic_Omnivore
Tribal Mentality of Rugby League Supporters
(A view of supporter tribalism)
750 words (inc title).

Lord Reynoldson
The Curse of Sydney Rugby League
(A summary of Sydney finalists in recent years)
749 words (inc title).
Score: 8.3

RoostarGirl
COACHING....
(The tricky subject of good coaching)
749 words (inc title).

Penelope Pittstop
SEX, DRUGS AND RUGBY LEAUGE (sp)
(The soap opera which is sport)
750 words (inc title).
Score: 8.9

The Backpacker
Would the real Craig Smith please raise his...knee
(The dramas surrounding the expulsion of front rower, Craig Smith)
749 words (inc title).
Score: 8.7

ROOSTERS TOTAL: 43.1

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
ROOSTERS 43.1 DEFEAT PENRITH 43.0
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Forummer of the match: Paul-the-Cowboy (Panthers)

For the record...

Panthers came out of the blocks to post and early lead.

The Roosters clawed their way back and coming into the final stages, it was anyone's match. But Easts were there to post a hard fought and well earned victory. The Panthers can walk from the field with their heads held high - one of ther great teams of 2003.

For the Roosters, they now advance to the F7s grand final to take on the Newtown Bluebags.

Congrats to both the Roosters and the Panthers - a match of the highest quality. It came within a whisker of going into extra time.

Well done.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Genghis Chan

Juniors
:shock: :shock: :shock: Well done to the Pantehrs on such a fantastic season. You did fantsatic under the leadership of Big Mick.

The Roosters are going to the Grand Final! :D

ozzie

Bench
Big mick - captain of the year and a captain of a great side- no more needs to be said...great effort

ParraMatt

Bench
Mick, U did outstanding to make it this far. Cant be dissapointed mate. Congrats to Roosters on making the GF Aswell.