What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Premiers !!!!!!!

Gronk

Staff member
I would not be adverse in being awarded the premiership. Yes it might not be as sweet as winning it on the field, but it will heal some of the wounds of an unjust defeat.

Ossie has said Parra will cop the decision on the chin, i was hoping he'd come out all guns blazing.

Food for thought - maybe a case of - People in glass houses.......

I hate to think it, but, I have my suspicions that there are a few teams that are probably doing it.

This could make things interesting for players, managers & clubs currently negotiating contracts?

Oh yes, it's been going on for years. I heard Alan Jones this morning rant about the same thing. His example was the victorious 2000 Brisbane GF team. How did this bunch ever get under the cap ??

Thats why I said a few teams. Brisbane was the first I thought of, but, you would have to think that maybe they are not going the rort so much, if at all at the moment - going by their recruitment. Either that, or the players that count, really dont want to play under Henjak.

Dymock

Juniors
I think with the Brisbane players, playing under Bennett and staying in Brisbane is a big thing. THats why Broncos teams are usually stacked with talent - Henjak doesn't have the same appeal.

But for my money, why can't we have a one-off play-off series for the 2007 and 2009 Premierships at the end of this year? There are three clubs, Brisbane, Parramatta and Manly that could've won those premierships. Brisbane and Parra played the Storm in the 2009 and 2007 prelim-finals. Manly and Parra played the Storm in the Grand Finals. We could even just make up a different award, I'm tempted to call it 'The Cheater's Shield'. But there's clearly three teams who were cheated, they got the closest to winning it fairly, and they deserve some recognition. A special play-off series even if its not for the retrospective premierships, would be a great marketing opportunity for the NRL.

And how could Bellamy not know of the rorting or even suspect it? How could the players not know what they are paid? The contracts are on their behalf?

mickdo

Coach
This ISN'T like the Olympics, where the next fastest wins, because the next best might not even be in the Grand Final.

Wrong. The Olympics has sports where there are finals and semi finals between two people or teams too, and they do the exact same thing by awarding the Gold to the runner up.

hellteam

First Grade
That Broncos team that Alan Jones said was cheating the cap wasn't even that good, nowhere near as good as some of our teams over the years anyway. Most of those players were young, and wouldn't have been on as much as they would be in the years after the premiership (when we lost heaps of them). The only true star that would have been on massive money in that team was Lockyer, and probably not even that much then, because he was young.

Last edited:

Dymock

Juniors
Don't sweat Hellteam, Alan Jones is very often below the belt .... :p
His remarks are usually unfair as well.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Brisbanes team in 98 was probably even better, Brisbane has always had the advantage of being a one team town. And also the cost of living is much cheaper than in Sydney.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
PARRAPREMIERSHIP.jpg

From another Eels Forum 1 Eyed Eels - Posted By Parraman on April 22, 2010 at 9:01pm: PARRA PREMIERSHIP

Kornstar

Coach
It never ceases to amaze me that other teams supporters feel the need to come into a PARRAMATTA forum and have to have their opinion.....

Does it matter to you if PARRAMATTA fans on a PARRAMATTA forum believe that the Eels should have been premiers last year given the circumstances?????

IF they say it in the NRL forum or your forum then go for your life but as this is a PARRAMATTA forum i think those fans are allowed to think what they want!!

hellteam

First Grade
It never ceases to amaze me that other teams supporters feel the need to come into a PARRAMATTA forum and have to have their opinion.....

Does it matter to you if PARRAMATTA fans on a PARRAMATTA forum believe that the Eels should have been premiers last year given the circumstances?????

IF they say it in the NRL forum or your forum then go for your life but as this is a PARRAMATTA forum i think those fans are allowed to think what they want!!

Pretty embarrassing though..

Kornstar

Coach
Pretty embarrassing though..

Hey, i know we weren't premiers and don't deserve the title but in an Eels forum i think it is fair that we will find some people who would take a premiership and why they feel that it is owed to us.

I am pi$$ed that i moped around for 3 months after the loss and now find out we were playing cheats, what could have been? We will never know, it is as simple as that, we can't change it, we can certainly whinge about it though and we have every right to be angry as do the other teams aswell! What about the teams who played the Storm twice in the years? That is 4 competition points, that is a possibility of a finals berth for some teams and then who knows what would happen?

The main reason why the Eels supporters would be more upset is because we physically lost to them in the last game of the year!

Remember though, the Eels beat sides 1, 3 & 2 to get the GF last year too, so you should be able to forgive some of the supporters for thinking that we should be handed the premiership under these circumstances!

IFR33K

Coach
I don't know if the eels should be premiers or not, but Im going to throw a cat amongst the pigeons.

The storm over the last 5 years have been rorting the cap. Over that 5 year period, the storm have knocked out the eels in 2006, 2007 in a gf qualifer and 2009 gf.

They have also beaten the Eagles in the 2007 gf, and in a semi last year.

Now, if you look at the punishment toward previous years, no club has received justice, from the illegal activities of the storm. Not even the Eels and Eagles, who by far, are worse off, more then any other team.

The punishment this year is a different kettle of fish. With the storm being competition favorites, there IS going to be justice, especially to the team that takes it out this year, as the storm has no chance of winning the comp.

Maybe we should be handed a premiership??? I dont know. Maybe that's our only way of justice for the previous years loses.

But as a supporter that bleeds blue and gold, and that sweats blood, I don't want a premiership handed to us.

BUT, in 20 years time, if we still haven't broken the drought, I will still be fuming.

That my rant.

Latest posts