What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pro league to start 2013

Rampart66

Juniors
I really don't see any downside to this at all. If it happens, I'm sure that there will be some growing pains and a lot of obstacles will have to be overcome (proper venues, educating a new fan base, costs of operations...travel, player salaries).

But I'm going to remain optimistic. I think that presenting the game as a pro league (comparable to MLL lacrosse at this point), at least gets the sport out there. It will attract fans, and yes, new players from those who watch the games and want to give it a try.

For all of the negativity that I have thrown towards David Niu in the past; I have to really hand it to him this time. I wish that many of the plans he had for the AMNRL (with his vision, long term goals and the role of The Star Group) were communicated to the teams in a better fashion, but if Grand Prix can make this work, the David deserves a lot of credit for the hard work to make it happen.

clarency

Juniors
Overall this is going to be a nudge forward for the game in the USA.

But I'm (as most of us are) tired of the promises for ULTIMATE GLORY when there is no realistic plan for reaching that goal. So far all I have heard from GP is bs sales pitches left and right.

Lone Ranger

Juniors
For all of the negativity that I have thrown towards David Niu in the past; I have to really hand it to him this time. I wish that many of the plans he had for the AMNRL (with his vision, long term goals and the role of The Star Group) were communicated to the teams in a better fashion, but if Grand Prix can make this work, the David deserves a lot of credit for the hard work to make it happen.

Vision. Hahahahahah! Niu wouldn't know the first thing about a vision. Regarding the article. I just can't believe a real CEO or legit business person would talk like that. Does anybody know anything about this Tatham guy?

pennpool

Juniors
When I read Tathams quotes I cringe for some reason. He comes across in print as the type of person that gives the world an American stereotype.

Rampart66

Juniors
Does anybody know anything about this Tatham guy?

From what I can tell, he is a lawyer/entrepreneur from the Fresno, CA area. He was involved as president & general manager with the Oklahoma/Arizona Outlaws of the USFL (the team was owned by his father, William Sr.)

From what I can find, he's tried pushing rugby before. There are several abandoned trademarks that he owned around 2004-2005 that deal with rugby.

Here are a few articles from a few years ago (2010, 2008):

http://rugbyamerica.net/2010/01/27/wrl-part-1-the-management-team/

http://rugbyamerica.net/2010/01/30/grand-prix-rugby-world-series-part-2-the-competition/

http://www.pr.com/press-release/97989

http://rugbyamerica.net/2010/01/20/tatham-touts-professional-7s-exclusive-interview/

I'm cautiously optimistic. It seems like Mr. Tatham has tried and tried to move rugby forward in the past few years and has had a few fits and starts. That being said, he has one thing that is needed to move the sport forward and that's money. The fact that USA Rugby and the NFL Network have dealt with him and signed agreements, tell me that he a little more than just talk.

I guess time will tell.

Skeletor

Juniors
The way I see it, those of us in the USA who want to see grassroots grow is to do it ourselves. Unfortunately, even if Iowa had the best players and setup in the country, we probably would not be considered for a large pro comp simply due to population. However, give me a pro team to feed into, and we will run the game on a local and juniors level. We have 3 million in the state, a participation rate at grass roots of even 0.01% is still 300 people playing (could be 20 clubs/teams worth), and that's our long term goal. We also want 80 high school teams in the state to give us state championship. One day, we'd also love a ground dedicated to rugby league with a few thousand seats.

IF there were to be a pro team in Iowa, would the best place to put it be in the Davenport/Quad Cities area? I know that area has a fairly large population once you count in the IA and IL sections.

IowaRL

Juniors
IF there were to be a pro team in Iowa, would the best place to put it be in the Davenport/Quad Cities area? I know that area has a fairly large population once you count in the IA and IL sections.

It would be either the Quad cities, Des Moines (the capital) or Omaha/ council bluffs area.

What's that you say? A pro RL comp in America? First I've heard of such a thing but it sounds amazing and damn sure to succeed. I'm quitting my job and selling up and moving straight to the states in eager readiness for 2013. Bring it on...

That is not how sports grow. It is alarming that anyone who is leading the cause can be so naive.

facepalm

The only way to grow sports is through grassroots. There is no shortcut. People need to be exposed to the sport, but the initial exposure needs be from the elite competitions. League lacks grassroots, financial, and media support in the US. How does this bloke think TV networks will lap it up?

Instead of focusing on what should be done, hes talking about things that will almost surely end in utter failure.

Also, being a soccer fan, my favourite parts were the jibes directed at soccer and at the MLS. If there is any league you want to emulate in the US, its the MLS.

So the new comp would Major League from the outset? How does he figure that exactly? If Americans love Major Leagues, then they should be ushered toward the NRL, not some upstart US league.

But of course Americans are not as they are made out to be, because they will absolutely follow "minor league" sports. The MLS has grown to 19 teams, built 15 of its own facilities, and currently averages more than any domestic rugby competition, of either code, on earth (or for that matter, those other minor leagues like the NBA and NHL). Americans are clearly showing their disgust at minor leagues.

This bloke is a deadset plonker, and his rhetoric, judging from that article, is a sure sign of future disappointments.

In Rhode Island The Providence Bruins - The minor league Hockey team for the Boston Bruins have a 16,000 capacity arena. They average 10,000 fans per game. People love it.
The reason for this is that they have 10 guys who do nothing but call companies and do corporate ticket packages and even set people up with great hotel rates for the 3 hotels next to the arena.

The Pawtucket Red Sox - the Boston Red Sox Minor League team does 7,000 Fans per game on average and has around 13-15K capacity seating.

These are the type of organizations one needs to follow. Speaking of the PawSox they started out with the most rinky dink stadium in the world and now have the biggest, but its all about engaging ones local market. Sure TV games are great but its not whats going to grow the sport.

Each team individually needs to engage their local market

IowaRL

Juniors
In Rhode Island The Providence Bruins - The minor league Hockey team for the Boston Bruins have a 16,000 capacity arena. They average 10,000 fans per game. People love it.
The reason for this is that they have 10 guys who do nothing but call companies and do corporate ticket packages and even set people up with great hotel rates for the 3 hotels next to the arena.

The Pawtucket Red Sox - the Boston Red Sox Minor League team does 7,000 Fans per game on average and has around 13-15K capacity seating.

These are the type of organizations one needs to follow. Speaking of the PawSox they started out with the most rinky dink stadium in the world and now have the biggest, but its all about engaging ones local market. Sure TV games are great but its not whats going to grow the sport.

Each team individually needs to engage their local market

RIR is right on the money here, if you can't engage your local community, you can't continue to operate in the long term without spending too much money. The rebellion, the fight, the axe men, the sharks, all seem to understand this, and are working forward. If one day there is a pro league, with multiple conferences, those areas which build now with thier communities will be in a great position to be involved.

Lone Ranger

Juniors
I just don't see 2013 as a reality. If the guy said 2015 and then explained why and how then I would buy into the vision because that is a realistic timeframe of what's required. This whole thing just stinks to me and I am very disappointed that the AMNRL has again attached its name (SOLD) to a group that is driven by $$$.

I am not being naive that it requires and significant cash injection. I am just not buying into this guys pump and dump ponzi scheme.

Ho hum, anyhow who's playing this weekend???

amnrlfan

Juniors
:roll:

IMO, everyone involved should pay attention to the currents comps (more the AMNRL) and not and jump the gun once again about a pro comp. Put more efforts into those.

Wonder what the pitches look like for the AMNRL this year? Step up from previous years?

franklin2323

Immortal
As long as some grass roots investment comes as well it might be a chance of working. They need to hit the high school's & colleges. Get the athletes that don't make gridion & other sports. It needs to be known they can make a living playing RL.

I would think if you tell a 3rd string QB or RB. Don't worry about the draft. Here's a sport you can choose where you play & live. Represent your country, tour the world. They would take it.

That's where they should target the player pool from. Get some good coaches the quality will grow over time.

deal.with.it

Juniors

IMO, everyone involved should pay attention to the currents comps (more the AMNRL) and not and jump the gun once again about a pro comp. Put more efforts into those.

Wonder what the pitches look like for the AMNRL this year? Step up from previous years?

This is where the big double header was held... You be the judge...
Andrews_Field_-_Norwalk,_CT_067.JPG

imgres

Attachments

• Andrews_Field_-_Norwalk,_CT_067.jpg
    Andrews_Field_-_Norwalk,_CT_067.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 2

druzik

Juniors

ill be at two of the games this weekend... looking forward to some good Rugby League.

IowaRL

Juniors
As long as some grass roots investment comes as well it might be a chance of working. They need to hit the high school's & colleges. Get the athletes that don't make gridion & other sports. It needs to be known they can make a living playing RL.

I would think if you tell a 3rd string QB or RB. Don't worry about the draft. Here's a sport you can choose where you play & live. Represent your country, tour the world. They would take it.

That's where they should target the player pool from. Get some good coaches the quality will grow over time.

The best guys to target I think are the ones who finish high school as special teams players. Some are not quite at first team level at thier school, so play special teams. These positions are taken in college by better players, and they are less likely to play. It also seems to be the best all round position in regards to RL talent.

franklin2323

Immortal
The best guys to target I think are the ones who finish high school as special teams players. Some are not quite at first team level at thier school, so play special teams. These positions are taken in college by better players, and they are less likely to play. It also seems to be the best all round position in regards to RL talent.

Yep. 17 or 18 probably won't be a professional. young enough to learn the game given they have some athletic ability. Most Gridion positions have players that will suit League.

I have played both. I was a fullback in RL. A safety and RB in Gridion as a RB you get cleaned up it's hard to spot gaps. As a safety it was hard to read the plays. RL is much more easier as such should be easy enough for them to pick up.

They can catch, run fast, tackle some can pass and kick. So the basics are there.

Just need some money. Apparently that's coming. You need to people to hit the schools and get the players now. Until that happens it's a pipe dream. I wish this concept well but can't see it happening.

Venues are a good point and a valid argument. Its really hard finding a stadium outside a Highschool or College especialy in the area where the Sharks Play. We are fortunate in the aspect that we havnt moved our home field since the Sharks started in the comp. its a full size pitch with proper uprights, its lighted and has actual bathroom facilities. Down side its a community park so sometimes we run into scheduling conflicts with festivals and community events so we always have a secondary venue. Jax has the ideal situation which everyone should aspire to and the fight lucked out with their beautiful facilities over the last few seasons. if the League goes Pro theyre going to have to piggy back on some college stadiums or if this guys is serious and the planets are alined he can maybe, MAYBE work deals at places like PPL Park( Philadelphia Union) which is equiped for footy or the holy grail of philadelphia sports Lincoln Finacial field( Philadelphia Eagles). Fingers crossed for the pro league.

To the point of the double Header in CT. That was arguably the worst field and playing conditions most of the guys have ever played on. The field was small, the try zones were maybe 5 meters and the ground was soup, no drainage what so ever. Infact there was a foot maybe foot and a half deep "lake" at the one end of the field. both games played in the same conditions so im not saying they effected the out come of either game, just pointing out the conditions. This is somthing all teams should try and get away from.

Attachments

• lake.jpg
    lake.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 30