What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Progression of the Super League (Europe)

Knight87

Juniors
Ok, I've been wandering something here (to those who frequently watch the ESL or those who live in the UK). In the NRL in Australia, there are 8 games a round (except for 4 of the 25 rounds). 2 are on normal FTA television, and the other 6 are on Foxtel (PayTV). In the European Super League, there are only 6 games in a round. What's the television coverage of those games like? Like, are all the games televised or not?

Also, what are the major differences from when the comp started in 1996 to today? I only faintly remember watching some games from 1997 (here in Australia), and I distinctly remember the big, chunky graphics that Sky use to have (like the rectangular toolbar on the top or bottom of the screen, and the time piece etc.). What do you think of the commentary of Eddie Hemmings, Mike Stephenson (they guy who keeps saying T-R-Y) and Phil Clarke? Why isn't rugby league tests and matches played at the larger venues that use to hold them, like Old Trafford, Wembley Stadium etc.? The last time I remember seeing huge crowds in England was the 1995 Rugby League World Cup. If that was the case, I cannot understand how the 2000 WC was a flop.

deluded pom?

Coach
Sky cover two matches per round except when the Easter bank holidays come around when they'll cover matches on five consecutive days. The Friday night game kicks off at 8.00pm and the Saturday one at 6.05pm. There is a very conservative view of Test match venues and only the ones that can hold around 25,000 tend to be considered. I've been to Wembley in a 70,000 plus crowd for G.B. v Aus and Old Trafford crowds well in excess of 40,000. Since the SL rift there's a very cautious approach to Test footy here. Eddie and Stevo can grate a bit but they are better than the BBC duo of Ray French and Jonathan Davies. The BBC cover two games from the CC from round four when the SL teams enter the tournament.

bartman

Immortal
deluded pom? said:
Eddie and Stevo can grate a bit but they are better than the BBC duo of Ray French and Jonathan Davies.
Yes, when feeling annoyed at watching a Sky match, you just need to compare to Challenge Cup commenatry and remind yourself to be thankful...

terracesider

Juniors
J T said:
Why isn't rugby league tests and matches played at the larger venues that use to hold them, like Old Trafford, Wembley Stadium etc.? The last time I remember seeing huge crowds in England was the 1995 Rugby League World Cup. If that was the case, I cannot understand how the 2000 WC was a flop.

To be brutally honest, I think that from 1995 a generation of fans emerged who, encouraged by some of the ESL clubs, think that Super League is the be all and end all, and that international RL does not really matter, other than as an end of season tournament. Interest is so low that, at times, they can hardly fill the relatively smaller venues.

As for the differences between 95 and 00, I do not know but I've heard it argued that the 95 World Cup was a false dawn before the idiocies of ESL finally set in.

brendothejet

First Grade
guys this JT bloke is a nuffy.

All he ever does is ask questions that anyone with half a braincell's worth of RL knowledge knows.

aarondoyle

Juniors
brendothejet said:

All he ever does is ask questions that anyone with half a braincell's worth of RL knowledge knows.

Maybe he's new to the game. Don't assume everyone knows as much as you. Just be glad he loves our game... avoid his posts if needed.

Knight87

Juniors
brendothejet said:

I don't know as much as you brendothejet, so don't get nasty about it and stop acting like a know-it-all!

Latest posts