What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proteins/Powders

Yeh why WPC over WPI?

#1 reason would be cheaper/gram ov protein, but if you have money to chuck round then by all means buy some WPI. Although I have read some claims that WPI is actually generally less effective than WPC. I'm sure whatever the difference is between the two it would be pretty marginal.

aqua_duck

Coach
For me I generally only take a shake after workouts and the absorption rate for WPI is faster. Also WPI's tend to have a high protein %

dogslife

Coach
If you buy mass gainer you're an idiot, it's just protein powder filled out with sugar.

Just buy whatever is cheapest, 100% wpc, doesn't matter what the brand is, it's all 99% the same.

I bought 4 tubs ov this recently:
http://www.iherb.com/Twinlab-100-Wh...scle-Chocolate-Banana-5-lbs-2268-g/33923?at=0

Worked out to be about 20NZD/kg shipped and took 3 days to arrive.

It's all a matter of opinion... I personally don't see much point in buying WPC over WPI either. I've never bought a mass gainer, probably because it's geared towards people with certain bodytypes. For people who are skinny and lean, with fast metabolisms, mass gainers are quite effective, as long as they don't become a massive part of your diet. Obviously getting the right nutrition from food is the best way to go, but as it's been explained protein shakes are a matter of convenience. And for someone like Solid, they are a good alternative pre or post workout, rather than eating a massive meal right before or after his workout. And as I explained, if you get a decent one, it won't be packed with sugars or fats, check out the ones I recommended. But hey that's just my opinion

Last edited:
I took a mass gainer for about 10 weeks to try and add some muscle then do a cut. I ended gaining about 10kg, about 6kg of that would have been fat I reckon. I got up to about 88kg on that stuff. Starting a cutting phase and dropped down to around 73kg. Lost all the fat and all the muscle I had gained. Pointless really..

It's all a matter of opinion... I personally don't see much point in buying WPC over WPI either.

It's generally far cheaper?

If you buy mass gainer you are wasting your money. You could make something far healthier and tastier for less coin. Whey + milk, oats, fruit, yoghurt/ice cream, peanut butter etc.

aqua_duck

Coach
1 big bowl of oats (say 150g) will give you as many carbs as 2 or 3 servings of mass gainer. The carbs are much better and oats about $1.50/kg.

dogslife

Coach
It's generally far cheaper?

If you buy mass gainer you are wasting your money. You could make something far healthier and tastier for less coin. Whey + milk, oats, fruit, yoghurt/ice cream, peanut butter etc.

I think you missed the point of my post entirely. Like all protein powders, it's a matter of convenience. For someone like me who likes to get a serve of protein in as soon as I'm finished working out, who in their right mind would want to take a bunch of fruit and oats and yoghurt to the gym with them?

WPC vs WPI again is a matter of opinion. WPC is fine, but I don't see much point in lessening the quality of protein to save a few bucks. I like WPI becuase of the higher protein content, and zero carbs/fats involved, and because your body can absorb it much quicker

I think you missed the point of my post entirely. Like all protein powders, it's a matter of convenience. For someone like me who likes to get a serve of protein in as soon as I'm finished working out, who in their right mind would want to take a bunch of fruit and oats and yoghurt to the gym with them?

WPC vs WPI again is a matter of opinion. WPC is fine, but I don't see much point in lessening the quality of protein to save a few bucks. I like WPI becuase of the higher protein content, and zero carbs/fats involved, and because your body can absorb it much quicker

I was talking about WPC/WPI plus extra ingredients as a meal replacement shake instead ov a weight gainer. Why would you take weight gainer PWO instead ov WPC/WPI + some dextrose?

Being a student, the $20+ extra I would have to spend to have WPI instead ov WPC would be much better allocated on a couple of kilos ov chicken, rather than some negligible effects ov a slightly better (debatable) quality protein powder.

aqua_duck

Coach
I was talking about WPC/WPI plus extra ingredients as a meal replacement shake instead ov a weight gainer. Why would you take weight gainer PWO instead ov WPC/WPI + some dextrose?

Being a student, the $20+ extra I would have to spend to have WPI instead ov WPC would be much better allocated on a couple of kilos ov chicken, rather than some negligible effects ov a slightly better (debatable) quality protein powder.

Depends on the protein % of the 2 powders, if the WPI is 90% and the WPC is say 80% or less I know which one I'd rather have

babyg

Juniors
This is a helpfull thread. I just ordered some WPC for $20 a kilo. That's the cheapest I've ever seen. Going to mix it with sugar free Ovaltine for flavour. Worth a shot.

Cliffhanger

Coach
#1 reason would be cheaper/gram ov protein, but if you have money to chuck round then by all means buy some WPI. Although I have read some claims that WPI is actually generally less effective than WPC. I'm sure whatever the difference is between the two it would be pretty marginal.

Wrong! WPI is absorbed in one hour, which is why you have it straight after a workout to help with muscle recover, WPC takes about 12 hours to absorb (even more if its mixed with milk) this is why WPC is used before training or before bed to help your muscles repair while you sleep.

dogslife

Coach
Wrong! WPI is absorbed in one hour, which is why you have it straight after a workout to help with muscle recover, WPC takes about 12 hours to absorb (even more if its mixed with milk) this is why WPC is used before training or before bed to help your muscles repair while you sleep.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Casein?

Cliffhanger

Coach
Nope, WPI is processed more so the end result is a much purer protein which is absorbed quicker. That's why WPC has more lactose.

dogslife

Coach
WPC definately is a slower aborsbing protein, but we're talking a couple of hours at best. Casein is the slowest absorbing, closer to 12 hours, and is the most commonly taken before bed

Cliffhanger

Coach
Oh, yeah probably confused Casein and WPC for the sleeper thing.

WPC is for before workouts and WPI for after and Casein before bed.

Last edited:

WPC post workout has been working alright for me...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79i46qjeYDo

Just chuckin' that out there :sarcasm:

Cliffhanger

Coach
Wow you must have been biding your time for awhile to post that video.

Somebody asked a question and you answered it incorrectly. Some things are more effective than others, simple doesn't mean there's only one approach to everything.

Latest posts