What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Put your house on a Swans Repeat.

BunniesMan

Immortal
We win the premiership. With the #1 defense in the comp and an extremely talented and deep midfield the only question mark going into 2013 is our forward line.

Now word on the street is as early as today we could wrap a trade for Kurt Tippett for just a draft pick and Jesse White.

Now we have three big targets upfront in Reid, Tippett and Goodes and a number of smaller players to play around them and all of a sudden we have a very dangerous attack.

We have the best 22 in the comp. It is as a close as it is possible to get to a perfect list with no weaknesses.

Who is going to beat us? Our defense will concede the least points in the comp like it did this year. Our midfielders will be all over you like they were all over elite teams like Hawthorn and Collingwood in the finals. And now you can't doubleteam Reid, your THIRD best defender is on Goodes and we have added a Coleman medal contender. I recommend putting every cent you have on the Swans going back to back.

Last edited:

One Eyed Aussie

Juniors
I like your style and your optimism BunniesMan. You know more about the Swans than I do so I will accept what you say but something tells me it won't be as straightforward as you suggest (Go the Hawks!).
Can we assume you have taken your own advice and emptied your bank account to back the Swans for the double?:lol:

Havnt the AFL Rigged the draw so that Swans play GWS & GC twice ..
Shouldnt in a fair draw the teams that finish in the top 8 one yr only play the bottom dwellers once the following yr?

Band On The Run

Juniors
Shouldnt in a fair draw the teams that finish in the top 8 one yr only play the bottom dwellers once the following yr?

Isn't it sad that you go on a subforum of a sport you clearly don't like? :crazy:

Swans will most likely only get GC once. The fixture hasn't been released yet although the AFL have confirmed that the Swans will play Hawthorn and GWS twice.

On topic, it wouldn't surprise me if 2013 is another Swans/Storm double.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

nothing to do with fair, just look at Collingwood's draw, nearly every game at home (MCG) they even play some away games at their home ground

its all about money and getting the big crowds, thats why they will milk the Sydney/GWS derby for every cent

their draw is never random or fair, its all about money

Isn't it sad that you go on a subforum of a sport you clearly don't like? :crazy:

Swans will most likely only get GC once. The fixture hasn't been released yet although the AFL have confirmed that the Swans will play Hawthorn and GWS twice.

On topic, it wouldn't surprise me if 2013 is another Swans/Storm double.
Yes i dont like the sport for many reasons .But i seriously would like to know the mindset of fans
i cannot for the life of me work out how fans can continue to follow the sport when it is so very very compromised.
Teams getting favourable draws.
Teams losing on purpose & a blind eye turned.
Unfair advantages ($$$) to some teams ..no level playing field.

If that happened in RL there would be a riot,i would stop following the game yet AFL fans just accept it..
I just find it bizzarre.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Yes the AFL has said top 4 teams will only play bottom 4 teams once except in the case of non victorian local rival games. So we will play GWS twice but we won't play GC or the other bottom 4 teams twice.

So in other words the top 4 will have the hardest draw and the bottom 4 will have the easiest.

What about the rest..
Tanking..if my team lost on purpose there is no way on Earth i would ever go & watch again..It is paramount to match fixing..
In a 2 horse race if one isnt trying then that is a fixed race.

What about the extra $$$ some teams get ?
You either have a level playing field where everyone gets the same $$$ to spend or you have a compromised comp..
Th BS excuse that cost of living in Sydney is high is laughable .
What about other cities ,Perth is very high also?
Why isnt a cost of living study done on all cities ,,or is it just the non heartland cities that the AFL want to give an unfair advantage to.
How can the followers of lesser teams in VIC have any hope of ever seeing their team win a comp ,when AFL house ensure that they have no hope.
The highest draft picks go to the new out of Vic teams ,meaning the lesser teams are screwed.
If that is not fixing the comp i dont know what is..
& if the IC ever go down that road they will lose a multitude of fans from RL.

Band On The Run

Juniors
Yes i dont like the sport for many reasons .But i seriously would like to know the mindset of fans
i cannot for the life of me work out how fans can continue to follow the sport when it is so very very compromised.
Because it actually is a good sport to watch (laugh it off as much as you want). Most AFL fans love the actual sport itself but hate the league that is running the game at the top level.

Read above point.

If that happened in RL there would be a riot,i would stop following the game yet AFL fans just accept it..
I just find it bizzarre.
So your saying RL isn't that good if you will stop following the game due to bad administration from the league. :roll:

What about the rest..
Tanking..if my team lost on purpose there is no way on Earth i would ever go & watch again..It is paramount to match fixing..
In a 2 horse race if one isnt trying then that is a fixed race.
True fan supports their team no matter what. I'm glad my team has never lost on purpose (in any sport) but if they did I'd still follow them out of loyalty, although I would obviously be upset.

What about the extra $$$ some teams get ?
You either have a level playing field where everyone gets the same $$$ to spend or you have a compromised comp..
Th BS excuse that cost of living in Sydney is high is laughable .
What about other cities ,Perth is very high also?
Why isnt a cost of living study done on all cities ,,or is it just the non heartland cities that the AFL want to give an unfair advantage to.
How can the followers of lesser teams in VIC have any hope of ever seeing their team win a comp ,when AFL house ensure that they have no hope.
The highest draft picks go to the new out of Vic teams ,meaning the lesser teams are screwed.
If that is not fixing the comp i dont know what is..
Most AFL fans will actually agree with you on that point. As a Lions fan it annoys me that we are the only "non-heartland" team that can't go over the cap. The original rule was that every team could go 10% over the cap if a certain percentage of the list was from interstate. However that rule got changed when we won the 2003 premiership because Eddie McGuire had a sook because his team wasn't good enough to beat us. The rule was changed to the Swans only being allowed to go over, then GC and GWS when they got bought in. Very frustrating as a Lions fan.

& if the IC ever go down that road they will lose a multitude of fans from RL.
I think if they went down that path they wouldn't lose as many fans as they did in SL. The majority would be annoyed but I don't think many would stop following the game altogether. I wouldn't (yes I follow both codes).

But the way the comp is run goes against everything about a fair go,.
& i think you would be surprised at how many people would abandon RL if the comp was compromised..
If there is one thing that galvanises fans its the thought of a team getting away with cheating.
AFL fans seem to accept that as the norm..
RL fans wouldnt..Look at the up roar over the Storm cheating.
They are a very different breed .

Munro_Mick

Juniors

I just find it bizzarre.

re favourable draws - - when you firstly accept that there's no chance of a perfect Home and Away fixture - - the last time that was the case was with 12 teams and 22 rounds. Well, when you accept that somehow 22 has become the magic number of games per year for your club - - then, you accept that in an expanded competition that the draw is gonna be 'compromised'.
Followers of some clubs do get annoyed at the favourable treatment of others - but, get on with their business. North fans feel ripped off that they get 1 Friday night game a year after pioneering it, and the AFL is still standing firm on no Good Friday footy, and Ess and Coll have a mortgage on Anzac day and Coll and Melb on Queens B'day etc etc.
I actually think it's healthy for a competition to build in the points about which people gripe - - it stops them griping about more important things!!
At any rate - I read in the H-S yesterday about the Canadian company that does the draw - and do for many other big sports comps - and the AFL one is the most complex by far in part because of all the 'rules' around it - including the politics, the stadium limitations, broadcaster requirements etc. So - I wouldn't want to be doing it!!!

Losing on purpose - the whole tanking thing. It's interesting. Under the guise of 'List management' a club can delist senior players, invest in youth, not select their best team each week and that seems fine - - but, if on a given day they play guys out of position in a regular season game - - that's tanking because they aren't trying to win? But, in a pre-season practice match that's accepted behaviour to see what guys are capable of. The whole problem on this front is around the sense of 'reward' via the draft picks - - that's what gave it an ugly look because suddenly fans were trying to work out whether they were barracking for or against their team.
The system has been somewhat fixed up.
(by the way - list management for the Aust cricket team sees a rotation policy applied such that the best team isn't always selected.....is that tanking?? - I reckon it would be regarded as such coming from Pakistan!!!)

The unfair advantages - such as the Swans allowance - - it's interesting - when brought in it was fully justified and necessary. The Swans were drafting players and they kept getting lured back to Melbourne. Collingwood a major player getting Anthony Rocca and Paul Licuria. North got Shannon Grant.

The argument is always that should Adelaide have a reverse arrangement if it's cheaper to live there? Should every market be indexed?? What about in Melbourne depending whether you're in the leafy east of the industrial west?

I reckon the main thing is to be transparent on these issues and to review them now and then. You can't ask much more than that. The AFL is usually pretty good at being transparent.

BunniesMan

Immortal
& i think you would be surprised at how many people would abandon RL if the comp was compromised..
If there is one thing that galvanises fans its the thought of a team getting away with cheating.
Carlton got hammered for cap cheating. And unlike the Storm their penalty wasn't only temporary. The Storm suffered for 1 season and everything was back to normal the following year. In the AFL cap cheats lose draft picks so their future suffers as well. Far bigger consequences than what the Storm went through.

Munro_Mick

Juniors

what do you mean by 'compromised'??

The NRL has been compromised for quite some time in many respects - you just have to work out where your own personal line gets drawn!!

The fixturing and scheduling has been compromised. The broadcasting has been compromised. The ownership in particular has been compromised.

That the NRL/ARL has finally moved towards a commission structure, and a more fixed 'fixture' and........holy geeze - - what are they doing? copying the AFL???

The cheating notion - as pointed out, Carlton didn't get away with it and effectively lost a decade!! That's some penalty.

So, where is the rampant cheating now?? the most recent 'outed' example is Storm from the NRL.

Are you suggesting the Swans are cheating???

You really sound like someone who has made up there mind in advance and then looks for 'reasons' to support your stance.

I reckon most people who 'buy into' the AFL accept that it isn't perfect - but, looking around the world at billionaire private ownership, at the EPL, at FIFA, at American sport, and even over time looking at how RL, RU and soccer have been run domestically - - well, the AFL (the organisation that is) for all it's shortcomings actually stacks up pretty well.

Band On The Run

Juniors
Carlton got hammered for cap cheating. And unlike the Storm their penalty wasn't only temporary. The Storm suffered for 1 season and everything was back to normal the following year. In the AFL cap cheats lose draft picks so their future suffers as well. Far bigger consequences than what the Storm went through.

Although Carlton did get to keep their 1995 premiership :crazy:

what do you mean by 'compromised'??

The NRL has been compromised for quite some time in many respects - you just have to work out where your own personal line gets drawn!!

The fixturing and scheduling has been compromised. The broadcasting has been compromised. The ownership in particular has been compromised.

That the NRL/ARL has finally moved towards a commission structure, and a more fixed 'fixture' and........holy geeze - - what are they doing? copying the AFL???

The cheating notion - as pointed out, Carlton didn't get away with it and effectively lost a decade!! That's some penalty.

So, where is the rampant cheating now?? the most recent 'outed' example is Storm from the NRL.

Are you suggesting the Swans are cheating???

You really sound like someone who has made up there mind in advance and then looks for 'reasons' to support your stance.

I reckon most people who 'buy into' the AFL accept that it isn't perfect - but, looking around the world at billionaire private ownership, at the EPL, at FIFA, at American sport, and even over time looking at how RL, RU and soccer have been run domestically - - well, the AFL (the organisation that is) for all it's shortcomings actually stacks up pretty well.
Show me anywhere in the NRL where teams get an advantage for losing.
Show me where some teams (in non heartland areas) get a higher salary cap than others.
Show me where newer team get the pick of the best young talent..
Compromised comp ,you bet..There is NO LEVEL playing field.
The NRL is far from perfect ,but at least if your team wins the GF its because they were the better team ,not because they had the pick of talent or had some bullshit excuse for a higher salary cap..
Put it this way..
If a Tasmanian RL team(wont happen but an example) entered the NRL & the IC said ,this new team will get a higher salary cap than others & can select the best un 20 players ,,there would be a massive reaction from RL fans ..
Your idea of a fair & even comp is a lot different to mine.

Munro_Mick

Juniors
Show me anywhere in the NRL where teams get an advantage for losing.
Show me where some teams (in non heartland areas) get a higher salary cap than others.
Show me where newer team get the pick of the best young talent..
Compromised comp ,you bet..There is NO LEVEL playing field.
The NRL is far from perfect ,but at least if your team wins the GF its because they were the better team ,not because they had the pick of talent or had some bullshit excuse for a higher salary cap..
Put it this way..
If a Tasmanian RL team(wont happen but an example) entered the NRL & the IC said ,this new team will get a higher salary cap than others & can select the best un 20 players ,,there would be a massive reaction from RL fans ..
Your idea of a fair & even comp is a lot different to mine.

Ah - well, now you're touching on areas that go to the heart of the question of the dog wagging the tail or vice versa.

In the example of the pre-AFL Commission era - the clubs weilded all the power.

So, in the half hearted expansion scenario - - and let's be realistic here - the Swans went to Sydney as much as expanding the code as opening up VFL access to Sunday footy, both played in Melbourne and live footy on tv.

The Brisbane Bears was a disrespectful process and the lessons of that were at least learned.

So, if we accept that those two expansions into 'foreign' territory were under resourced, ill-concieved and poorly conducted.

Then, any future expansions had to be done somewhat differently.

This is important because the NRL has instituted it's own Commission now.

So - the Commission looks after the 'good of the game' rather than the self interest of the most powerful cartel of clubs.

SOme of the tools available include the Commissions own compromising of the draft. Yes - a massive irony.

However - 'start up' concessions via draft picks, salary caps etc isn't too astonishing I wouldn't have thought. However - I do believe that the level of concessions via draft picks was - - but, seemingly the clubs agreed to it (was it just in principle?? and not so much in that level of detail?? That I don't know).

Personally I thought both Giants and Suns would have traded their draft picks a bit more as a form of 'currency' to access more experienced players - but, both went young. It was interesting, very interesting. I guess they looks ahead to 2 years in and possible trading then?? Not too sure.

Anyway - compare to the NRL dropping of Storm into Melbourne, stuff all support, minimal good will from Sydney, seemed more like a sense of obligation. Financial support minimal, reliant on News Ltd ownership and reinvestment of their NRL dividend to keep afloat. One surely couldn't hold up the Storm as the blue-print for expansion clubs, just as the Bears and Swans (first 15 years) couldn't really be either.

The Tassie example you mention is exactly right - - without clubs buy in to permit the RL IC to give the club something to build with - - then why bother. The key is when the concessions end.

It's totally different to the AFL examples of expansion clubs in 'heartland' areas - Eagles, Dockers and Crows in particular show the way. Port was always a concern because it was too much associated with a single SANFL club - - far, far better to have something like a North of the river vs South of the river division with 'new' entity clubs created. So, the AFL at least has ensured that the Lions and Suns are distinct, and the Swans and Giants are distinct. Were a second NRL side to be dropped into Melbourne - - how do you make it distinct?? a bit like Heart vs Victory, but, there's at least grass roots soccer and those discontent with Victory become Heart fans.

I have no issue with salary cap levels varying as I said before - - just ensure it's transparant and reviewed. As a North supporter - we were gutted by the 'go home' factor with players like Peter Bell and Peter Mann from WA and Evan Hewitt and Scott Welsh from SA. That was during and immediately after a highly successful era. Did North need extra salary cap to retain the interstaters?? Perhaps. However, the move in recent times has seen clubs seek to draft more local talent to remove the 'go home' factor. However, for the Swans and now the Giants - even unlike QLD clubs - there's far, far less 'local talent' of sufficient standard. So, it's fair enough in the most expensive city that something should be done. I don't see why you resist the principle so ardently yet fail to acknowledge the real world realities.

Now - the Swans this year for example won the premiership with....well, let's have a look. For all the talk of salary concessions and draft picks - well, the Swans GF team included recent draft picks of:
2010 (Luke Parker #40, Alex Johnson #57, Mike Pyke #101 - rookie promotion after taken #57 in 2008 rookie draft as an international rookie - - i.e. the Canadian RU player)
2009 (noting #6 pick Gary Rohan out all year with busted leg - - Lewis Jetta #14, Sam Reid #38)
2008 (Dan Hannebery #30)
2007 (Craig Bird #59, NSW scholarship)
2006 (Josh Kennedy was #40 at Hawthorn, was traded in having limited opportunities at Hawthorn) (Nick Smith #15, rookie draft)

Adding to a GF team that included Ted Richards, now an all Australian defender who was pretty well rejected at Essendon, Marty Mattner from the Crows who couldn't get a game. Rhyce Shaw who was pretty well hated by Collingwood fans (despite his blood lines). Lewis Roberts-Thomson, a 2001 #29 draft pick from a junior RU background in Sydney, Kieran Jack #57 in 2005 Rookie draft from a junior RL background).

Even the one out and out star - dual brownlow medalist Adam Goodes (#43 in '97 draft) - -there's not many 'sexy' players on the list. 2012 Norm Smith medalist Ryan O'Keefe might not have been there had a trade been done 2 or so years back.

I look at that side and don't regard it as evidence of unfair draft concessions or unfair salary concessions.

What I'm more concerned about is the recent dominance of Collingwood and Geelong who have stand alone VFL teams and get got draws. Geelong can make $600,000 profit on a 25,000 crowd at Kardinia Park. North Melb a couple of years back hosted the Swans on Anzac day weekend at Docklands and drew 28,000 and lost $1000 on the day. The loss wasn't the issue - the $601,000 difference is the issue.

This to me is by far the bigger issue. The massive variation in ground deals and revenue.

Draft picks are only as good as the ability to develop talent. Likewise salary caps. The Swans have done a mighty job on developing some unlikely talent and I dip me hat to them. Collingwood and Geelong - well, Geelong took a gamble on a lot of father sons, and many of the players have stayed loyal and been paid 'unders' so good on them for that too.

Anyway - for a club like North - at least we 'stuck it up 'em' back in the '90s. And, for now, just hold on until the AFL assumes outright ownership of Docklands stadium and then, stadium deals should be far, far sweeter in the heartland of the game!!!!

This is where the NRL has benefitted in Melb with a 100% Govt funded AAMI Park with reasonable rents compared to say North stuck at Etihad, 100% privately funded, 25 years of AFL to pay it off. I'd like to see the state govt assist the AFL to buy it out early but that probably won't happen - - although, perhaps that could've been part of a FIFA WC package had Aust got it that might've seen the AFL as owners of Docklands waive any restrictions on Stadia of over 40K within 10km and allowed AAMI park to be fully expanded???? Ah well - we'll never know.

Anyway - sorry for the length - but, yes - - the idea of 'fair and even' from you to me does vary.

But, like anything - - we have to accept certain compromises because nothing exists in a vacuum and certainly not football codes in Australia (the worlds most competitive football marketplace). And, you've gotta pick your battles.
For me - I really struggle with private ownership and with the NRL I hated the corporate ownership. Right now - Melb Storm has finally marked itself in it's territory and won over a huge amount of respect. The News Ltd ownership model is breaking down and the club has weathered a significant storm so to speak and earned respect. 13-14 years in the making!!!! The last 2 has defined them. The AFL has a 20 year plus plan on Suns and Giants - I wonder how they will earn respect for themselves??

BunniesMan

Immortal
It's happened, KT is ours. Was a little longer and more complicated than it should have been, but we got him. Ironically, we got him for even less than what Adelaide considered "not good enough".

And he'll be fighting fit to join us for the march into September.

We'll make the top 4 and anyone who finishes top 4 is a legit chance.

As for the haters and the whingers, too bad, you keep being jealous and we'll keep winning football games.