What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PVP 2009 Wheels v Bluebags at Headingley

Pistol

Coach
wheels%20logo.jpg
02.08_retrojets280.jpg

Wheels v Bluebags

Game Thread:
* Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.
* 500 words limit

Naming Teams:
* 3v3 (+ 2 reserves)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named​

ALL THE RULES & REGULATIONS: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php

FULL TIME: Saturday 14 February 2009 at 9pm (Syd time)

REFEREE: rabs
Venue: Headingley
THEME: My Favourite Game of League Is...

Headingley_Carnegie.jpg

**The Referee Blows Game On!**
whistle_2.gif

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The Bluebags team have had their annual training run and are ready for go another lap.

Welcome aboard to rookie petetheileet and welcome back to Ozbash, a Bluebag from the tough old days of 2002.

Team:

jersey_bluebags_1a.gif

petetheileet
ozbash
Willow (c)

Reserves:
Rexxy
Everlovin' Antichrist

Good luck one and all.

Jesbass

First Grade
The Wheels roll (ha, geddit?) into town and immediately throw two rookies to the wolves. Wheels, have at 'em!

animated_wheel.gif

Starting Lineup:
lingard (Eels)
Kid-Dynamite (Warriors)
rayroxon (Warriors)

Substitute Bench:
Jesbass (c) (Warriors)
bartman (c) (Eels)

On a more serious note, I'd like to thank bartman for joining his Eels forces with those of the Warriors, especially in light of our fallen son, young Sonny Fai. Sonny debuted for the Warriors against the Eels after initially being recruited by now Eels coach Daniel Anderson. If there was ever a time for us to band together, it was now.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow shuffles through his old scribblings, and takes his first hit up for 2009.

jersey_bluebags_1a.gif

My Favourite Game of League is...

Perhaps my favourite game of rugby league was a match played almost 40 years before I was born.

It wasn't a grand final, nor was it a Test match. The game that sparked my imagination was a friendly played between St George and Goulburn one winter's day in 1921.

It should have been a forgotten country trial game, but it was made extraordinary by a snow storm hitting the playing surface just before kick off. For reasons I have yet to come to terms with, I sometimes 'recall' being there. If for nothing else but to get a handle on what the players went through.

The records show it was a sunny winter's morning in July when the St George District Rugby League Club assembled players and officials on a Sydney railway platform. Household names in their day, Lyall Wall, Ernie Lapham, and Clarrie Tye were amongst those boarding the excursion train bound for Goulburn.

You and I were there as well.

It would be decades before iPhones, and the Foxtel Weather Channel was nowhere to be seen. The morning newspaper was the only media available in the carriage. At best, we had sketchy details of a possible cold change south of Sydney.

It was on the approach to Moss Vale when sunshine soon gave way to rain. Then, as the train neared its destination, the wind was picking up and snow was falling. By the time we arrived in Goulburn, near blizzard conditions had enveloped the area.

A travelling journalist for The Call, “Rambler”, described the conditions as: “The worst I ever saw for football in all my 34 years experience.”

The players made their way onto the field in front of an almost empty stand. Intensely cold winds and snow swept through the area. The St George captain, Herb Gilbert Senior, shook hands with the Goulburn captain as players danced around the middle of the freezing pitch.

We took refuge where we could.

A St George player, Sid Thompson later joked about it all: “It was absolutely freezing and the ground was icy and hard. I remember a loose ball behind the line and Reg Fusedale calling to me, ‘Dive on it!’ I replied, ‘Dive on it your bloody self!’”

By halftime, Goulburn managed to score three tries to take a 13-0 lead.

Neither side fancied another half of being delivered to the ice-hardened turf. But Herb Gilbert Senior - a tough bastard - ordered his players to change ends and continue. Saints trudged back out for another round, but despite holding a handy lead the Goulburnites simply refused to return to the field. Much to the relief of most in attendance, the home side looked to the sheds and just kept walking, thereby forfeiting the match to St George.

The scenes immediately afterwards were a sight to behold. The bath and fireplace were in great demand, and the players’ gear stood literally frozen as a brief monument in time to the Goulburn blizzard.

|500 words|
|Ref: Book: 'Saints - The Legend Lives On' by Ian Heads|

Last edited:

ozbash

Referee
ok, I'd better have a go...

jersey_bluebags_1a.gif

My favourite game of rugby league is,,, Game 1 - 2005 Tri Nations. 15 October 2005

This game had everything for your diehard Kiwi fan. It was won 38-28 by the Kiwis, first time we'd beaten the 'Roos at home since 91 and in Sydney for 46 years.
The Kiwis were underdogs for this game, we were playing the reigning World Champions, we were wooden spooners the year before in the same series and with a brand new coach with zero International experience, most wrote us off.

The game awoke a sleeping giant in Bluey McClennan's team.
Previously under the tutalage of yet another rookie, Gary Kemble, who's win - loss record made for very depressing reading, Bluey dragged a reluctant squad together and formed "The Brotherhood". A team where the members would spill blood for each other.
There were 2 players who steered the Kiwis to this historic win against the old foe, and eventually to winning the final at Elland Road, Ruben Wiki and the mercurial number 7, Stacey Jones.
These 2 quickly grasped Bluey's ideal of brotherhood and transferred it to their team mates making it, probably, the tightest, most closely knit Kiwi team in the history of the game here.

Anyway, the game; The night got off to a great start with New Zealand A giving the Kangaroo Invitational side a 40-16 touchup.
In front of a disappointing 28000 fans in the huge Telstra Stadium, Bluey's boys came to give it to the Aussies , they threw everything at them in the first 20 to take a confidence building lead of 18 points.
Of course, we were playing the Aussies and one thing we know about them is that they never give in. Sure enough, half time honours were shared at 18 all. What a game!

2nd half underway and the unthinkable happened, the Aussies scored with a great try from Matty King and the writing looked to be well and truly on the wall. You know, "whoever scores first after half time"...
Stacey Jones led the way with some deft kicking and great running, Wiki led his forwards from the front and the fightback began. With great support play from 5/8, Nigel Vagana, who got the ball to his backline allowing centre Clinton Toopi to cross 3 times, Brent Webb at fullback and giant wingman, Manu Vatuvei, the Kiwis resumed where they had left off in the games first quarter.
Stacey Jones contributed with 6 conversions and a penalty with tries to Toopi (3),Webb,Cayless and Vagana.
Aussie tries were scored by Tate (2),Gasnier (2),Johns and King.Fitzgibbon and Johns slotted a conversion each.

Fantastic game, the on field action was fast and furious.

The greatest thing to come out of the match wasn't on the scoreboard or mentioned in the stats, Bluey and his assistant -Natty Norton- instilled something into this team, (and the Kiwi fans) something that had been missing for a considerable time, Hope.

And thats what makes it the greatest game, of all.

500 words
ref - The Year the Kiwis Flew - Peter Leitch/Richard Becht

Last edited:

rayroxon

Juniors
Rayroxon takes the field for the Wheel. Roll out!

My Favourite Game Of League Is…

I'll start at the beginning. I’ve
previously referenced the first game of league I attended twice over my F7’s career; once in my debut season, and once when I discussed the effect Rod Wishart had on me as a youngster. It’s memorable because that game was my point of no return and I look back upon it fondly - but was your first time your favourite? I thought so.

The next game of league that stands out was the first time I got to see my beloved Warriors play live. It was Round 14 of the 1995 season
, and they played Souths at the SFS. My mate’s uncle worked for Ford and he invited us to watch the game from their corporate box. It was excellent. We discussed the logistics of getting two giants onto the field and making them fight a death match with the goal posts and we ate mountains of food. Of the game itself, I remember standing on the balcony clutching my Warriors scarf, screaming at Hitro Okesene and drinking all the Coke my young bladder could handle. The Warriors went on to win 38-20. I went on to eat too many pies. Again nice, but not quite favourite worthy.

Next, we fast forward to March 17 2005
at Suncorp Stadium. The Warriors had just come off their worst season on record and expectations were low. It was a pretty even game for the first 60 minutes, and then the Warriors went in front and were never headed. They ended up winning 24-10. What made it memorable was running into a Warriors supporter wearing the infamous red 2000 away jersey on the way out of Suncorp. My mate offered to buy the jumper off his back for $50. The fan was in the process of taking it off when his mate said “Bro, what are you doing? Ask for $100!” He did, and my mate begrudgingly paid up. It proved to be a prop for some visual gags involving the statue of King Wally. It was fun, but still not quite there.

My favourite game would have to be one which was big and had a see-sawing scoreline. I’d have enough proximity to opposition fans so I could feel their hatred for the jersey for 80 minutes. Most of all
, it would have that big play that you can recall so clearly that it’s like you have Foxtel IQ installed in your frontal lobe. For me, that game is the 2002 semi final against the Sharks. Remembering that Jones grubber for Carlaw to score is still pure bliss. It engaged all the senses: watching the win but not believing your eyes; the ringing ears from yelling too much; the smell of a strangers sweat after embracing them in ecstasy; running your fingers around the embroidery of your teams emblem and tasting the sweetness of victory. A deserved favourite.

Well
...it wasn’t going to be the 2002 Grand Final, was it?

499 words including title

Last edited:

Kid-Dynamite

Juniors
Kid-Dynamite takes the field for the Wheels, in his first ever crack at F7's:

My Favourite Game Of League Is...

To write about my favourite game of rugby league seemed near impossible to start. To think back and pick one game from the hundreds I have witnessed always seemed as though it was going to be difficult. I love every game I watch, but the truth is, I didn't have to think too far back to remember my favourite.

Sunday afternoon footy has a great feel about it at the best of times, but a finals match on a Sunday afternoon? You know you're in for something special.

On Sunday September 13, 2008, two teams did battle in a game that would make history. It was first versus eighth in the first round of the finals. The reigning premiers, minor premiers and overwhelming favourites, the Melbourne Storm were up against the unfancied New Zealand Warriors. However, the Warriors had the reputation that if you caught them on their day, you'd be in trouble. That said, there weren't too many punters bold enough to back the Warriors. It's hard to shy away from the fact that the eighth qualifier had never beaten the minor premiers in week 1 of the finals.

Never.

To put things into perspective, the TAB had the Storm starting at -16.5.

The game got under way, and when the Storm scored the first try through Anthony Quinn, the game was expected to be a formality. The so-called experts believed that the Warriors had to get off to a flier to even stand a chance! No one told this gutsy group of Warriors from New Zealand that they stood no chance. The Warriors are known for their "Band of Brothers" feel, and boy did they show it in this game. They hit back and scored the next two tries through Jerome Ropati and Manu Vatuvei. The game was tied at 14-14 for what seemed an eternity, until Greg Inglis snapped a field goal to put the hosts up by a single point with about 10 minutes to go. But even with such a narrow lead, no one expected the Storm to lose. And no one expected what was about to happen next.

In one of the most crucial plays in rugby league history, Jerome Ropati made a break, before offloading back on the inside to Manu Vatuvei who claimed the pass with one hand. Vatuvei then beat several Storm players down the sideline and set up Michael Witt to score the match winner.

Words can't really explain or describe this moment. You have to see it to feel the emotion. But it was this play, that single handedly made this game my favourite of all time.

To add to the enormity of the victory, history had been made. Eighth had beaten first and the rugby league community was in shock and awe.

On any given Sunday, one team will win, and one team will lose. And on this particular day, the Warriors reigned supreme.

(492 words including title)

lingard

Coach
My favourite game of league is.....

Lingard, with one boot lace still undone, kicks the ball down field:

It`d been a long night. A cold night. Dead for a Saturday night, too. The last few hours of the shift I sat at the railway station rank and sipped tea from my thermos. It was cold inside the cab, and windy out. Street sweepers and the rattle of garbage bins reminded me that there were still people alive out there.

One o`clock in the morning, I could hardly keep my eyes open. One-thirty, an old fellow came off the platform and wanted to go to Merrylands. Two o`clock, back at the rank and the last train from Sydney. Business man. Drunk. "Can you take me to Epping, mate?" Bloody hell.

By three-thirty, I`d taken the cab back to Guildford and then driven to my father`s place. I crept in so as not to disturb him, and left a note on the kitchen table: 'Dad, wake me at 2:30pm for the game'. Then I fell into bed.

A soft tapping on my shoulder. "Are you awake?"
"What?"
"Wake up."
"Oh. Dad. What time is it?"
"Four-thirty, I ...."
"What? Four-thirty? The game`s over!"
"I..er...I just thought you needed to get some sleep."
"But I asked you to wake me so I could listen to the bloody game! I was really looking forward to it!"
"Sorry."
"sh*t."

My father walked from the room.
"Hey, Dad", I said; "Come here."
"Yes?"
"What was the game like?"
"Oh...well...they won; they...."
"Good game?"
"Um...yes, it was. Kenny and Cronin had...."
"Sorry to go off at you", I said.
"That`s all right, son. I should have woken you."
"Nah, I needed some sleep. Tell me about the game."

He sat at the end of the bed.
"I think Gibson`s got something up his sleeve; he had Cronin playing as a second five-eight apparently. Geoff Prenter seemed to think it was a good move. He had a blinder by the sounds of it. Scored two tries and set up three more. 56 to 2 was the final score."
"56 to 2! Whoa!"

The two of us were silent for a while. Then I said, "You seem better today."
"Well, it`s funny; I think I feel a bit better."
"Good."
"You know, listening to that game, listening to Prenter, the excitement in his voice......I mean, since your mother died I haven`t really done much, have I?"
"Oh, I wouldn`t......."
"No, I haven`t. And I think it`s about time I did. How would you feel about coming to the game against North Sydney with me next Sunday?"
"I`d be honoured", I said, and laughed.
"You know", he said; "I might start getting out a bit more."
"Good, Dad. That`s good. What was the score again?"
"56 to 2. They`re on fire, you know."
"Yeah. Sort of inspiring, isn`t it?"
"Yes, it is. It is actually."

Parramatta 56, Canberra 2. I think that`s my favourite game ever.

Word count: 489.

Last edited:

lingard

Coach
My favourite game of league is.....

It`d been a long night. A cold night. Dead for a Saturday night, too. The last few hours of the shift I sat at the railway station rank and sipped tea from my thermos. It was cold inside the cab, and windy out. Street sweepers and the rattle of garbage bins reminded me that there were still people alive out there.

One o`clock in the morning, I could hardly keep my eyes open. One-thirty, an old fellow came off the platform and wanted to go to Merrylands. Two o`clock, back at the rank and the last train from Sydney. Business man. Drunk. "Can you take me to Epping, mate?" Bloody hell.

By three-thirty, I`d taken the cab back to Guildford and then driven to my father`s place. I crept in so as not to disturb him, and left a note on the kitchen table: 'Dad, wake me at 2:30pm for the game'. Then I fell into bed.

A soft tapping on my shoulder. "Are you awake?"
"What?"
"Wake up."
"Oh. Dad. What time is it?"
"Four-thirty, I ...."
"What? Four-thirty? The game`s over!"
"I..er...I just thought you needed to get some sleep."
"But I asked you to wake me so I could listen to the bloody game! I was really looking forward to it!"
"Sorry."
"sh*t."

My father walked from the room.
"Hey, Dad", I said; "Come here."
"Yes?"
"What was the game like?"
"Oh...well...they won; they...."
"Good game?"
"Um...yes, it was. Kenny and Cronin had...."
"Sorry to go off at you", I said.
"That`s all right, son. I should have woken you."
"Nah, I needed some sleep. Tell me about the game."

He sat at the end of the bed.
"I think Gibson`s got something up his sleeve; he had Cronin playing as a second five-eight apparently. Geoff Prenter seemed to think it was a good move. He had a blinder by the sounds of it. Scored two tries and set up three more. 56 to 2 was the final score."
"56 to 2! Whoa!"

The two of us were silent for a while. Then I said, "You seem better today."
"Well, it`s funny; I think I feel a bit better."
"Good."
"You know, listening to that game, listening to Prenter, the excitement in his voice......I mean, since your mother died I haven`t really done much, have I?"
"Oh, I wouldn`t......."
"No, I haven`t. And I think it`s about time I did. How would you feel about coming to the game against North Sydney with me next Sunday?"
"I`d be honoured", I said, and laughed.
"You know", he said; "I might start getting out a bit more."
"Good, Dad. That`s good. What was the score again?"
"56 to 2. They`re on fire, you know."
"Yeah. Sort of inspiring, isn`t it?"
"Yes, it is. It is actually."

Parramatta 56, Canberra 2. I think that`s my favourite game ever.

petetheileet

First Grade
Pete takes in a few deep ones and bolts out onto the field with hopes of a great year ahead.

jersey_bluebags_1a.gif

My Favourite Game of League is..

Without a doubt the opening game of the season. It has to be some sort of cruel joke that we are subjected to a long hot boring summer of cricket, golf and tennis. If I hear “It’s all happening here” or “right off the meat of the bat” one more time I’m sure to chuck a googly!

The dawn of a new season never fails to promote an array of emotions and feelings seldom seen for the remainder of the year. At least for the masses that is! Even the harshest critic of the salary cap has to recognise the levelling effect it has on the competition. Gone are the years of competition easy-beats and semi finalists being all but decided by the end of July. We have arguably the closest competition yet, giving fans from all teams hopes and aspirations of, if not a premiership, then at the very least a finals berth.

So what exactly contributes to fostering these feelings of great excitement and anticipation as we curse the long arduous summer? As the days begin to shorten, the weather starts to cool and the weeks are crossed off the calendar counting down to round one, we are reminded of everything that has happened in our clubs over the past 5 months. Player transfers are a dime a dozen in the NRL with some players who had left our shores returning for one last hurrah! Clubs which usually rely on their strong junior base have for the first time this year delved heavily into the player market. Many clubs are welcoming in new coaches or even entire coaching staff. There are the token upgrades to the suburban grandstands while some clubs are this year calling a new place home. The incredible success of the televised National Youth Comp has sparked people’s interest and left many wondering if this will be the year when that great young talent will mature into one of our games greats! Club directors’ boards have taken a beating in the last 12 months and fans are demanding results from the word go.

The memories of our centenary year (which seemed to be over in the blink of an eye by the way) cannot be forgotten too easily. The heartbreak of that elimination final loss, that last minute defeat or when that game was snatched out of our grasp in golden point, or even that shocking refereeing decision that cost us those two crucial points heading into the origin period. Thank goodness with two referees in 2009, incorrect decisions will be a thing of the past! (Petetheileet rolls his eyes)

Taking all of this into consideration there is no reason why 2009 can’t start off with a huge bang and be one of our best seasons yet! So move over Bill and Tony. I’m tired of those crappy cricket clichés. My ears are pricked and finely tuned for some of that Channel Nine Ben Ikin Gold!!!
Bring on 2009!
500 words

Jesbass

First Grade
3v3 - great stuff by both teams, and great to see some new blood in the competition! :clap:

rabs

Staff member
Bluebags vs Wheels (Warriors & Eels)

Match theme: My Favourite Game of League Is...

Bluebags

petetheileet - the opening game of the season
The article grabbed me and was a good read but you went off the subject towards the end.

ozbash -Game 1 2005 Tri Nations
What's the old saying, a team of champions... The Kiwis have done this to us a few times in the last 25 years by pulling together to outplay a more heavily talented team on paper and this match was a good example of it.

Willow - St George and Goulburn one winter's day in 1921
Nice bit of history, makes one reminisce for the days when fair dinkum trials and even touring international teams played in and against the country teams or rep sides. I can just see the Goulburn lads in the dressing room laughing, boasting and drinking to their "win" whilst the Saints waited on the field.

Wheels

lingard (Eels) - Parramatta 56, Canberra 2
Nice family memories recalled here for the writer. Your experience reminds us just how powerful the sport we love can be in our lives.

Kid-Dynamite (Warriors) - Minor premiers and overwhelming favourites, the Melbourne Storm against the unfancied 8th placed New Zealand Warriors, Sunday September 13, 2008
Good job, your recollection of a top Warriors effort against the odds, and that exciting finish. Gave me a bit of a shiver reading this.

rayroxon (Warriors) - 2002 semi final against the Sharks
Nice build up with the limited word space and a grand finale worthy of a best game. Technically though 3 games mentioned and while it is possible to have more than one fave game you specifically stated the other games weren't quite it. I marked it down a couple of points for that reason, excellent article though.

Wheels 267 defeat the bluebags 261
POTM Kid-Dynamite (Wheels)

bartman

Immortal
Well done to the three debutantes in this game - welcome to F7s :D.

Cheers for the quick result ref.