What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QLD doesn't need another team

Canard

Immortal
"Queensland — the home of rugby league and one of Australia’s most dilapidated stadiums — is positioning itself to snatch the AFL grand final hosting rights."​

View attachment 87351

"Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk needs to take her “second rate beer and stadiums” out of the AFL Grand Final debate and stop spreading “fake news”, according to The West Live host Jenna Clarke.​
An assistant editor of Perth’s only daily newspaper, Clarke slammed the “banana bender” for poking fun at WA’s pitch for the marquee fixture.​
The Queensland Premier posted the front page of today’s The West Australian on Facebook, captioned with “Western Australia appears upset with the idea of the AFL Grand Final being played in a so-called NRL state”."​
View attachment 87352
Some second rate hack radio DJ said something deliberately provocative about QLD 3 years ago.

Therefore they shouldn't get an NRL team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I assume nz2 will end up in christchurch, I don't agree with you flat out denying that Auckland 2 won't ever happen, it's like saying Perth will never happen
Apologies, given I dont run the NRL and I dont have a crystal ball I assumed most people would read my statements as my opinion, not as a statement of fact yet to happen.

On the laws of probability the NRL will not put NZ2 in Auckland. Hope that helps you understand my point.

MugaB

Coach
Apologies, given I dont run the NRL and I dont have a crystal ball I assumed most people would read my statements as my opinion, not as a statement of fact yet to happen.

On the laws of probability the NRL will not put NZ2 in Auckland. Hope that helps you understand my point.
No apologies need PR, I'm just fkn with you...
Although expanding few more nz sides may take down RU, in popularity at least,

Perth Red

Post Whore
Some second rate hack radio DJ said something deliberately provocative about QLD 3 years ago.

Therefore they shouldn't get an NRL team.
WTF has a covid impacted AFL GF 4 years ago got to do with a Perth NRL team? That's some stretch lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
No apologies need PR, I'm just fkn with you...
Although expanding few more nz sides may take down RU, in popularity at least,
Ideally, and this should have been at least sketched out when the ARLC took control of the game, you'd be investing heavily in NZRL/grassroots in NZ and have a plan for Christchurch and Wellington to join NRL, with possibility of Auckland2 in decades to come. Having 4 NZ clubs shuld bve the long long term vision. But it wont just happen, it needs to be planned and invested in.

But you could say the same for a Perth NRL club. They should have been investing and growing the game here in preparation for that for the last ten years instead of closing things down.

Same with PNG, they should be taking this opportunity now to build the infrastructure and jnrs for an NRL team in PM in ten years or so.

NRL is still a very short term thinking/planning organisation sadly. Hence why they choose Redcliffe, as they hadnt done any work on Brisbane2 so had to go with a quick and safe option rather than what might have been the best option. Its one of the few things I agree with Gould on. He has called them out for years on their lack of expansion strategy and planning.

MugaB

Coach
Ideally, and this should have been at least sketched out when the ARLC took control of the game, you'd be investing heavily in NZRL/grassroots in NZ and have a plan for Christchurch and Wellington to join NRL, with possibility of Auckland2 in decades to come. Having 4 NZ clubs shuld bve the long long term vision. But it wont just happen, it needs to be planned and invested in.

But you could say the same for a Perth NRL club. They should have been investing and growing the game here in preparation for that for the last ten years instead of closing things down.

Same with PNG, they should be taking this opportunity now to build the infrastructure and jnrs for an NRL team in PM in ten years or so.

NRL is still a very short term thinking/planning organisation sadly. Hence why they choose Redcliffe, as they hadnt done any work on Brisbane2 so had to go with a quick and safe option rather than what might have been the best option. Its one of the few things I agree with Gould on. He has called them out for years on their lack of expansion strategy and planning.
They are already doing the PNG jnrs now, the govt tipped in 5 mill to start that last year, it matters not when the 1st grade team starts, it doesn’t have to win a code war in png to get eye balls, its already popular there, so them starting off slow will in effect make them possible cannon fodder for a few seasons, depending on coach and roster but it will build as the juniors build beneath it, what's been done about Perth? any bids or all still just talk

Perth Red

Post Whore
They are already doing the PNG jnrs now, the govt tipped in 5 mill to start that last year, it matters not when the 1st grade team starts, it doesn’t have to win a code war in png to get eye balls, its already popular there, so them starting off slow will in effect make them possible cannon fodder for a few seasons, depending on coach and roster but it will build as the juniors build beneath it, what's been done about Perth? any bids or all still just talk
If they build it properly though it could be PNG based and be competitive. It'll be a sht show if they come in in the next 2-3 years and get walloped 50 points for a few years. Its why Im hoping PNG is club 20 (if at all). Give them time to build it properly and not be half arsed and we could have a strong performing club actually in PNG. (Financial issues aside)

Perth who knows? Its all very quiet here. Hard to say whats going on, either nothing or they are keeping it very close to their chests. Havent even heard any rumours of late.

MugaB

Coach
If they build it properly though it could be PNG based and be competitive. It'll be a sht show if they come in in the next 2-3 years and get walloped 50 points for a few years. Its why Im hoping PNG is club 20 (if at all). Give them time to build it properly and not be half arsed and we could have a strong performing club actually in PNG. (Financial issues aside)

Perth who knows? Its all very quiet here. Hard to say whats going on, either nothing or they are keeping it very close to their chests. Havent even heard any rumours of late.
No bears

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not that we know. As I say no one is leaking anything, or nothing is happening. Impossible to say.

Id suggest the NRL knows where club 18 will be, well they had better given they are supposed to be announcing it in less than 6months!
It will likely either be PNG or Perth given both of those areas have been in dialogue with the NRL for over a year now. WA govt started the negotiations with NRL 18 months ago and we know Roger Cook followed up his appointment same week with a call to Vlandys. PNG obviously has been heavily in conversation wit the NRL.

Christchurch has probably left it too late and Id suggest and is more likely for club19/20 if that ever happens.

Its interesting NRL is going to make a decision end of this year, probably 12 months or so before it starts TV negotiations. That would suggest A) They wont be led by TV where the team is and B) they want to go into those negotiations with a 9 game package already happening.

MugaB

Coach
Not that we know. As I say no one is leaking anything, or nothing is happening. Impossible to say.

Id suggest the NRL knows where club 18 will be, well they had better given they are supposed to be announcing it in less than 6months!
It will likely either be PNG or Perth given both of those areas have been in dialogue with the NRL for over a year now. WA govt started the negotiations with NRL 18 months ago and we know Roger Cook followed up his appointment same week with a call to Vlandys. PNG obviously has been heavily in conversation wit the NRL.

Christchurch has probably left it too late and Id suggest and is more likely for club19/20 if that ever happens.

Its interesting NRL is going to make a decision end of this year, probably 12 months or so before it starts TV negotiations. That would suggest A) They wont be led by TV where the team is and B) they want to go into those negotiations with a 9 game package already happening.
A & B actually, need to keep 19th slot as a possible area that tv actually wants to pay for, 18th sd 20th are just rounding off the games package

Maximus

Coach
NRL and AwFuL care about what Colin Smith says. They hired him to advise them on their broadcast deals. Roy Masters quotes him regularly.

Did they? When and what advice did he provide? Did they follow his advice? Is it an ongoing role where they will go back to him next time, or a one-off? Did they pay a range of advisers and he was just 1 of them, or was he the only person they sought advice from?

Just saying he's an adviser means f**k all.

and PNG, says there shouldn't be another regional team then calls for NZ2 which in effect will be on a same scale as a NRL regional team lol.
Colin Smith failed the game numerous times, I wouldnt care a jot what he said
Perth could be considered a regional team due to its isolation and small RL community. There's probably more rugby league fans living in Gympie than there are in Perth.

Did they? When and what advice did he provide? Did they follow his advice? Is it an ongoing role where they will go back to him next time, or a one-off? Did they pay a range of advisers and he was just 1 of them, or was he the only person they sought advice from?

Just saying he's an adviser means f**k all.
Sounds like you need one of these?

IMG_2050.jpeg

Global Media and Sports boss Colin Smith, who worked for the NRL on the last TV deal and has also advised the AFL and ARU in previous negotiations, said the renegotiated contract was "comparable" to that brokered by Australian Rules. "Fox Sports needs the NRL and the NRL needs Fox Sports. The next round of rights, whenever that is, less so," Smith said.