What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Qld soo side

THE CHAMP

First Grade
1 Slater
2 Boyd
3 Inglis
4 Tonga/Hodges
5 Yow Yeh
6 Thurston
7 Cronk/Cherry Evans
8 Scott
9 Smith
10 Petro
11 Myles
12 Thaiday
13 Harrison

14 Cherry Evans/Cronk
15 Shillington
16 Parker/Costigan/Gillett
17 Taylor

Hannant would have to show some good form to break in here.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Pretty much all the spots in the starting 13 pick themselves (barring injuries of course)

Id have Ballin on the bench over DCE. He would fit better into the backrow if needed and be a better option to bring on if Smith were to move into the halves to cover an injury there.

Taylor is carried by that team and is a waste of space. A real prop like Lilyman would be better

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Lillyman is out for twelve weeks apparently. He's a loss, I was expecting good things from him this coming season

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Pretty much all the spots in the starting 13 pick themselves (barring injuries of course)

Id have Ballin on the bench over DCE. He would fit better into the backrow if needed and be a better option to bring on if Smith were to move into the halves to cover an injury there.

Taylor is carried by that team and is a waste of space. A real prop like Lilyman would be better

I think Taylor does his job well as an impact player off the bench in short bursts. Thats all you really need there.

WAPAU

Juniors
Needs more dallas johnson.

And Hodges>Tate>Tonga>Nielson. Oniel and chambers the dark horses.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Hodges is the best of that bunch easily. Its a toss of a coin between Tonga and Tate really

Taylor offers little and benefits from playing with a dominant side. If he had to do any real work he would be shown up for the hack he is, as has happened numerous times when he has pulled on a Souffs jumper.

Qld could gain a hell of a lot more by picking a player who actually plays like a forward.

Last edited:
A lot to do with who you would like to see play,would be dependent upon their current form.

Many of those named have played well at Origin level in the past,but have had little origin or club playing time over the past few years due to season ending injuries.For instance,I thought that Hodges was a bit 'undercooked' in Origin last year.He looked a little bit 'off the pace'.He has been great at Origin level in the past,but to me he looked like he hadn't had sufficient time at club level,to be playing to his best Origin form.If indeed he ever regains that form again.

The same could be said for Tate.Another bolter in past Origins.If he was still carrying that form, he would be an automatic choice.I doubt that if you were to ask him,whether he would assess himself to be currently playing at that past level.Unlike Minichiello, I don't think that Tate would try and talk himself into an Origin Jersey.

Really,if a player's form is lousy at club level,no matter what their Origin record is,they are playing below par.This was a lesson NSW should have learnt with Pearce,although in this case Pearce has a lousy Origin record as well.

There are a couple of months until the team selection.Let's see who is playing well at club level.The main thing is to select someone who excels at defense, as ably as they excel at attack.One trick ponies get shown-up at this level,and more so than any chain,an Origin defensive line is only as good as its weakest link.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
there are some good points in there RBM but im 95% sure most of the players on the list have already been selected. Barring injury they will be there. Cam Smith, Thurston could be playing like busted arses but still get selected its that simple. And so they should.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Playing like poo at club level has never effected GIs ability to put in at SOO level before so that theory doesnt really hold much water

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Playing like poo at club level has never effected GIs ability to put in at SOO level before so that theory doesnt really hold much water

GI is a bit of a rare breed though. One of those few players who will pull something amazing out his (now quite large) arse at rep level, but can be at times ordinary for his club.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Not really that rare mate as there have been plenty of players who have been down on form playing for their club then seem to lift when given an Origin jersey

Club form isnt always an accurate barometer on how a player will fair at rep level

Big Pete

Referee
Pretty much.

You look at say Greg Bird at the Titans and how he's had to cover positions and roles that aren't suited towards him. As soon as he plays for the Blues, he doesn't have to worry about positioning himself for the last tackle or covering another player because that isn't his responsibility.

Similar story with Inglis. At Melbourne he had two problems. The first issue was that he was made to play five eigth. The second was Ryan Hoffman who constantly kept getting in his way on the fringes. Now that he's at Souths, he's got a personnel problem and instead of having Slater, Smith & Cronk taking care of him he's had old man Wesser, hot and cold Sandow and ordinary service from Luke. Throw in Taylor who has a bit of Hoffman in him plus a slow start because of his rehab and you've got the recipe for a complacent club player.

The reverse is also true for a player like Justin Hodges. This might be an unpopular opinion but I've never rated Hodgo on the rep. scene - his style of play just doesn't have as much value.

Then there's Nate Myles and I really don't know what the go is.

typicalfan

Coach
Well Hodges didn't make the most gracious of entries into the Maroon jersey.

Inglis even when he is having a poor game gets heavily targeted, he can create space for others without doing anything.