What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QRL side to the NRL - which teams could go up?

rwaite

Juniors
Ipswich have an official bid in now but I think Redcliffe might have an eye for moving up down the track. Why else would they block the Gold Coast using their original name - the Dolphins?

rwaite

Juniors
Souths Logan is supported by the Raiders so you are basically saying you want two Canberra teams. Silly suggestion from the start anyway.

Agreed. Souths are my team but financially have been on the brink for so long. If only they had a sugar daddy like Souths Sydney. ;-)

Buddah

Juniors
Then I don't see the point of your original question. Every team joining the Sydney competition/NSWRL/NRL since Penrith and Cronulla in 1967 has been a new venture, not an existing club. On that history, the use of an existing Queensland Cup club for a new licence is not going to happen. It will go to the highest consortium bidder as in the past.

Clubs like Redcliffe have no interest in risking what they have built up just to try to enter the NRL.

Bring back the Diehards as a new venture into the NRL. ;-)

Bro Bear

Juniors
How about a new NRL

Valleys,
Brothers,
Wests Brisbane,
Easts Tigers,
Souths Magpies,
Wynnum Manly,
Norths Devils,
Redcliffe,
Norths Bears,
Newtown,
Balmain,
Souths Sydney, and
Wests Magpies.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I'd prefer this one.

Valleys,
Brothers,
Wests Panthers,
Easts Tigers,
Norths Devils,
Souths Magpies,
Wynnum Manly,
Northern Pride,
Redcliffe Dolphins,
Ipswich Jets,
Burleigh Bears,
Tweed Heads Seagulls,
Toowoomba Clydesdales,
Central Comets,
&
Sydney Broncos

rwaite

Juniors
Bring back the Diehards as a new venture into the NRL. ;-)

I heard someone in a reply to a blog about the new Ipswich bid suggest using the name Diehards which would be a good idea if they don't go with Jets or some other consortium comes along that isn't associated with the Jets.

A South Queensland Diehards team might be good to connect, not just Ipswich, Logan and Toowoomba, but also connect to the history of the Valleys Diehards which are Brisbane's equivalent to South Sydney - our foundation inner city club which has won most premierships and has a great following. It's surprising how many Diehards fans there still are if though Valleys don't exist at this time, other than a junior club.