What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queen

choc_soldier

Coach
Judging by this forum, there are quite a few people in here that are fans of this great band.

I'm not ashamed to say that they are my favourite band. By a mile.

I only started getting into them about 10 years ago, when I taped version of "A Night At The Opera" that my parents had. I loved it... and played it to death. That Christmas, I asked for both Greatest Hits compilations, and my love for them just grew from there. I now have pretty much their whole back catalogue, in one form or another, and in a way, it is a timeline of British rock in general, from glam in the early seventies, to disco in the early 80's, and also an alternative to the "new romantic" period that was choking the music industry in the later part of the 80's, and into the nineties, where in retrospect, you knew the end was near for Freddie, as songs from "Innuendo" and "Made In Heaven" will attest - pure emotion.

Freddie Mercury was a freak. He could have very easily chose a career as a tenor, if he wanted to, but tried his hand at rock, and as a result, is one of the best frontmen ever for a band. His range, from the operatic tones of "Bohemian Rhapsody" to the hard rock style of "We Will Rock You", and everything in between, showed his amazing versatility.

Brian May was a great axeman, creating the music for some of the best songs ever written, and was a pretty good songwriter to boot along with Mercury. And Roger Taylor on the drums and John Deacon on bass were quite competent themselves.

Listening to the earlier albums, May and Taylor actually sang a few songs - May sounding very soft and almost angelic, whilst Taylor was the exact opposite, like Rod Stewart. It has in a way allowed them to pursue careers post-Queen, with moderate success.

I think if Freddie was alive today, Queen would still be around. And I think that they would still be relevant. Sure, they wouldn't be Top 40 material, but they would still have a massive following.

Rumours also persist about Queen reforming. Whilst I would love to see it, it obviously wouldn't be the same without Freddie.

As for my favourite album, it would have to be "A Night At The Opera". But there are redeeming qualities that make Queen, Queen 2, Sheer Heart Attack, A Day At The Races, News Of The World, Jazz, The Game, Hot Space, The Works, A Kind Of Magic, The Miracle, Innuendo and Made In Heaven quite hard to group in order of favouritsm.

My favourite song would have to be "Innuendo". One of their last, but definitely a classic. But I could easily name another 20 songs, such as Bohemian Rhapsody, Who Wants To Live Forever and Another One Bites The Dust.

I would go as far as saying that they would be the best band of all time. Yes, they would have some stiff competition from groups such as The Beatles, but I probably wouldn't be alone in my thoughts.

Anonymous

Juniors
Rumours also persist about Queen reforming. Whilst I would love to see it, it obviously wouldn't be the same without Freddie.

Isn't word on the street that Justin Hawkins of the Darkness will front the group if they re-form? He's no Freddie Mercury, but Queen with Hawkins at the helm would be a mighty beast nonetheless.

Godz Illa

Coach
El Garbo said:

Isn't word on the street that Justin Hawkins of the Darkness will front the group if they re-form? He's no Freddie Mercury, but Queen with Hawkins at the helm would be a mighty beast nonetheless.

George Michael is the man for the job. He's got the vocal chops, plus the whole gay/prima donna thing. He performed Somebody To Love with Queen a few years ago and absolutely nailed it.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
NOOOOOOOOOOO

George Michael should not lead Queen.

His vocal range is extremely limited. He is not the man capable of leading this great group.

I, like Parra Panther, love Queen. I have all their albums which he listed above, as well as Freddie's Greatest Hits CD and DVD, Queen Rocks, and Queen Greatest Hits III. I also have Live At Wembley '86 on CD and DVD, and Live Killers on CD. I also have both their Greatest Hits on DVD as well. I loved them but was quite disappointed that Innuendo wasn't on them. Its a good thing I have the video :D

I loved their rock stuff mostly. I want It All, Innuendo, Hammer To Fall, Headlong, Hitman, Stone Cold Crazy et al, as well as their softer stuff too.

I possibly have other Queen stuff, like books and what not, but all their works are truly great.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Freddie had a great passion for opera, which as apparent in Bohemian Rhapsody

They were very unique and its hard not to like them.

They are not one of my favourites, but most ppl have a Queen CD in their collection.

brook

First Grade
Godz Illa said:
El Garbo said:

George Michael is the man for the job. He's got the vocal chops, plus the whole gay/prima donna thing. He performed Somebody To Love with Queen a few years ago and absolutely nailed it.

I actually agree

I hate michaels but he is the ONLY person I've seen sing with queen and come even close to freddie.

millersnose

Post Whore
queen are no more

i would hate to see some sort of pizzweak mark 2 line up

they should rest on their laurels as one of the best bands ever

El Coconuto

Bench
millersnose said:
they should rest on their laurels as one of the best bands ever

Word up! They are by no means my fave band, but I have a lot of appreciation for their work. Got some classics!

Tighthead

John Farnham did a cover of 'We Will Rock You' for the RWC album. Brian May was so impressed that he and the other band members recorded the track for Johnny. There was a rumour at the time that they were interested in getting him to front the band. Would be a little strange.

Once Dead

Bench
Godz Illa said:
El Garbo said:

George Michael should not be allowed anywhere near Queen......suffice to say "Somebody to Love" with Mr Georgy on vocals was sweet

Nuke

Staff member
I, too, am a massive Queen fan (in case the We Will Rock You musical logo in my signature doesn't give that away!).

In mid 1994, I saw that 'Champions' movie (I think it's since been renamed 'The Mighty Ducks'), and at the end, the kiddies sing 'We Are The Champions'. I managed to borrow Greatest Hits from someone because of that song. Then I got hooked! 6 months later, I got GH for Christmas.

From there, I have since gotten every Queen album, most of their solo albums (only chasing Roger Taylor's 'The Cross' cd's and Brian May's 'Live At The Brixton Academy'), quite a few Queen tribute cd's, most of their videos, a few books, and all of their dvd's (regular dvd's and dvd-a's). I've also seen We Will Rock You four times since it came to Perth late April!

Not a bad collection in only 10 years!

Of all the albums, I would probably rate 'Jazz' as my favourite. Favourite song is 'The Show Must Go On', and favourite music clip is 'Breakthru'.

I don't think it's being released this year (probably next year), but those missing music clips will be on 'Greatest Video Hits 3'. GVH1 covered from 1971-1980 ('Queen' to 'The Game' albums), GVH2 covered from 1981-1990 ('Hot Space' to 'The Miracle'), and GVH3 will cover from 1991+ ('Innuendo' to 'Made In Heaven', plus the various Queen+ collaberations). Another live dvd will be out later in the year ... most likely 'Live at Milton Keynes'.

MILLWALL

Juniors
i heard that for him a demo to be singer of the darkness he did a cover of Bohemian Rhapsody and it sounded so perfect hes got that extra high vocal than anyone else i think

c_eagle

Juniors
Oh, I love Queen. Their Greatest Hit albums are amongst my most often played.

I also love the Darkness and I think Justin Hawkins has drawn plenty of influence from Freddie, he definetly wouldn't sound out of place as the frontman for the group.

George Michaels should be kept well away from Queen, just because he is one shouldnt automatically make him a candidate.

Freddie Mercury is Queen and Queen is Freddie Mercury. If no one 'perfect' for the job can be found, let it be. There is nothing worse than a shocking attempt at a comeback.

Nuke

Staff member
This debate has been going strong (VERY strong!) on the various Queen message-boards and forums.

Some people reckon they shouldn't continue without Freddie Mercury and John Deacon. John's the bass player - he retired when Freddie died, only returning to record 'Made In Heaven' (the album) in 1995, and 'No-One But You' (a song) in 1997. The other people debate who should / could step in and fill Freddie's lead singer shoes. Nobody debates the fact Freddie can't be 'replaced'.

For mine, I'd like to either see someone like Michael Falzon (Australia's Galileo in the 'We Will Rock You' musical), or even John Farnham take the job. A strange call perhaps, but my reasons for Johnny are that he's got a great vocal range, he's about their age, he's completely comfortable on a stage with thousands of people in the crowd, he won't try to 'be a Freddie', and anyone who's heard the version of 'We Will Rock You' John did with Queen last year will know he can certainly handle it.

Bob Geldof has said on one of those Queen tv shows that he'd like to see some young guy fill the lead vocalist spot because, simply, Queen's music just has to be played.

I'd love nothing more than to see Queen live, even if it's in their condensed form of Brian and Roger + a couple of other people. Being 23, in Australia, I've never had that chance. I couldn't even see Brian May when he played live in Perth on his 1998 world tour ... I was 6 months too young to be allowed into the club he was playing. I wasn't happy!

andrew flap

Bench
I'm a huge fan and have been since 1975. Everybody in my class at school laughed and said stuff like 'what a pack of poofs' and 'they'll go nowhere'.

Lots of rumours persist about reformed versions of the band but it seems that is all they are. I agree with the 'let sleeping dogs lie' sentiment.

I sam them when they came out in the 80's. Given the garbage that was popular then, it was a blessed relief.

Brian and Roger each have a few solo albums out (all very good in their own right) and John did a soundtrack to a film about Biggles.

Funny and sad that the day Freddie died, I must have got a dozen phone calls from the same friends saying how sorry they were and how briliant he was.

Alan Shore

First Grade
George Michael, no way.

If Queen reform it wouldn't be the same. Don't tarnish the memory. Let them rest as one of the greatest rock bands ever.

Latest posts