What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It used to be real common once. I can understand why the League put a stop to it.

There was one match I recall in the 70s when the game was still going and players were side stepping through kids on the field. There was another where a conversion attempt after the bell was called off because of a pitch invasion. It didnt change the match result but it was getting bad enough. The League was getting pressured because it was only a matter of time before some kid would be bowled over by a front rower on the burst.

The best story I read was about an Ashes deciding Test match which Australia won in 1950 (the one where Ron Roberts scored the winning try). Apparently the crowd went nuts and people rushed onto the field. Blokes were seen kissing the SCG mud while others made souvenirs of anything not bolted down. Even a touch judge was seen claiming the ball for himself.

G

gorilla

Willow said:
It used to be real common once. I can understand why the League put a stop to it.

There was one match I recall in the 70s when the game was still going and players were side stepping through kids on the field. There was another where a conversion attempt after the bell was called off because of a pitch invasion. It didnt change the match result but it was getting bad enough. The League was getting pressured because it was only a matter of time before some kid would be bowled over by a front rower on the burst.

The best story I read was about an Ashes deciding Test match which Australia won in 1950 (the one where Ron Roberts scored the winning try). Apparently the crowd went nuts and people rushed onto the field. Blokes were seen kissing the SCG mud while others made souvenirs of anything not bolted down. Even a touch judge was seen claiming the ball for himself.

Willow, all that pitch invasion nonsense (back in the 70's) was the same year that Ambrose (koorie) fellah got shot - last year's GF Bag's post - I remember reading about it week after week as I gave myself motion sickness scolling through the microfiche at the State library looking for the Bag's story.

Egad, I think it got too much in 1975 (shudder...):(