What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question????

Narcissist

Juniors
Where is the distance for a punt measured from? Is it the line of scrimmage or where the ball leaves the punters foot?

Paullyboy

Coach
Thats actually a very good question, i am not 100% sure but im presuming its where its actually punted from. Its an interesting area though, as a field goal is measured from where the kick actuall happens, however the yards for a pass are recorded from the line of scrimmage.

angrybear

Juniors
this has bugged me also - i am pretty sure that punts are measured from the line of scrimmage - a past bob halloran discussion on ESPN here reads (and confirms):

"field goals [are] measured from where the holder spots the ball, while punts are measured from the line of scrimmage. One reader wrote and explained: That's because they measure both kicks from the last place they touched the ground. That made perfect sense." (http://espn.go.com/page2/s/halloran/021205.html)

I can't find an NFL rule reference, but the CFL plays by a similar rule re punts:

SECTION 8: KICKING PLAYS
(a) Kicks that cross line of scrimmage:
1. Punts are measured from the line of scrimmage to the point where the ball is recovered by a player, goes out of bounds, or is otherwise declared dead - see
http://www.cfl.ca/CFLRulebook/scoringrules.html

hope this helps.

sunny

The distance of a punt is measured from the line of scrimmage, a field goal from where it was kicked.

SHAGMOP

Juniors
thats a pretty interesting piece of trivia. i assumed it was from where they kicked it but it makes more sense from the line of scrimmage. they are trying to gain yards like on a passing or run play and they are also measured from the line of scrimmage.

ak47

Juniors
go play madden 2004, or ESPN NFL

take a punt
see how long it goes, from foot
see what measurement the stat gives u
just a thought coz the madden games gave me insight to most rules, stats etc, but this one i never thought of.