What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R1 v Titans.

Mojo

Bench
Worth noting that we appear to have a formidable coaching group in 2024: Flanno, Young, Carr, Woolf, and apparently excellent support professionals as well.
Kyle Flanagan, Liddle, RFM & Eissenhuth have, so far, proven to be excellent recruits and have added new dimensions to the team.
The power in the pack and the solid defence is setting a platform for our attack.
This is looking like a very, very good footy team. Congratulations to the team and the coaches and support staff.

Only one game, but you can see that Flanno’s recruitment and coaching has had a serious impact on the side.

The defensive human wall of Thermopylae has been restored.

The attack has improved significantly.

Young Flanno did a great job organising the direction of attack, freeing Hunt up to create.

If we can reduce our mistake rate we will be in every game this season.

Effort and urgency equate to attitude.

can’t wait for round 2 !

since77

Juniors
Last night, for the first time in over a decade I genuinely enjoyed watching the Dragons play.
They just ticked all the boxes. Grit, composure, commitment, exciting attack, uncompromising defence.
Big congrats to young Kyle - those comments he made after the game about feeling safe and comfortable for the first time in ages really made me feel for him.
Lomax!! Gee I wasn't convinced about the move to the wing but I can't remember a game where he's had the same impact. Early days but that seems like a masterstroke by coach Flanno.
Honorable mentions to Liddle, both Molos, Eisenhuth (what an astute signing), Sloan, Suli, RFM and Sua.
Remember all those games in 2010 when we went into half time with a slender lead or slightly behind and then we blew teams off the park in the second half? Long way to go but if they play this style of footy all year I'm going to be a happy fan.
My only critique is that I'm not at all sold on Bird at centre. Too many brain farts. Just tuck the ball under your arm and run Jack, stop running across field with the ball in two hands just asking for trouble....

But all in all, that was friggin great to watch. Thanks to Shane Flanagan for restoring pride to the jersey.

The way we blew 'em off the park after 40 brought joy to this old Dragon tragic's heart. At oranges we were down in most stats but at the siren we had climbed back to the most possession, line breaks, post contact and running mts, tackle busts, offloads and less missed tackles. Our completion rate was an acceptable 32/41, most of those we lost in that horrible last 20 of the f/h.

Last edited:

since77

Juniors
Under Hook at 6/4 at halftime the final score would have been 28/4 Titans. Just shows you the dreadful waste of the last 12 years.
Indeed. We should never forget the unforgivable incompetence of the board over the last decade or so. And to think that we kind of lucked into Flanagan too. There's no way the team plays like they did last night if Ryles had of got the job.

Spazer

Juniors
I liked M.Molo from the bench but he is a similar body shape to Sele who will most likely take his spot once fit. BMM also had some hard runs but RFM will take his bench spot and Luci to the starting side depending on his fitness. I wouldn't mind giving Lawrie another week to rest that injury but i'd imagine he would go into the starting side with jdb to lock. One of Eisenhuth/Mmolo/BMM/Fafita for that last bench spot.

It's tricky to fit them all in after a strong performance last night, Fafita may miss out but will definitely get more time during the season.

Parko1310

Juniors
Really happy with the win. The let down was obviously our mistakes in the first half, we can't afford to do that against better opposition. The Titans had a young half playing who had only played 3 games, and Tannah Boyd (who I think is probably the worst halfback out of the 17 sides in the comp). Their attack was never going to be overly troubling. Despite that, we held strong, and were a lot smarter defensively. A couple of those dummy and goes from dummy half would've resulted in Titans tries in years gone by. Really liked the effort to get back onside and go again as well, the intensity was there for all to see.

My turning point was Suli's second catch in the in goal above his head. Hunt drops the kick off and I thought oh no we're going to hand them this game if we're not careful (we were clearly the better team when we actually held the ball). Suli proceeds to take one over his head, sprint out to the 20 for a quick tap, break the line, hit Lomax with a deft pass and suddenly we are dominating field position for the rest of the game. Huge play.

So many had stand out performances in that second half particularly. Looking forward to the next game, where we will probably have an even stronger bench. Next week is very winnable, so an important game for us. We need that 2 points.